Budget Shuttle

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by ThomasJE, Apr 7, 2013.

1. ThomasJE

ThomasJE Regular Member

Hi,

I would like to buy some cheap(ish) budget shuttles, and I would like to order them from SportsDirect.com. The ones I am looking at are the AS10, AS20 and the Carlton GT4 and GT3. But which one of these would be the best choice?

Here's more info; I would need Speed 79, these are for use with junior players (14/15 yo), and with beginners, so durability would have to be average.

Thanks in advance.

2. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Among the four you listed, I've only played with AS10 before. It's a decent shuttle and could last at least a game if you don't hit the feathers. I've recently played with Chao Pai pink and read. They are pretty good but I guess not cheap at all. Why not buy a tube from each one of them and test them yourself?

If budget is an issue, I would really suggest using plastic shuttles for those who still hit the feathers. No durable feather shuttles exist to bear the brutal force.

3. ThomasJE

ThomasJE Regular Member

We did use plastics (Mavis 10's), but I now play with feathers, so it would be nice to use feathers with them.

I also plan to use some of these with intermediate and more advanced players as well.

As for testing shuttles, I'm not really in a position to test 3 or 4 tubes of shuttles, but I may buy a tube of AS20's and a tube of GT3/GT4's.

4. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    We ran out of AS30s in our club and needed some feathers for a match so we popped down to Sports Direct and picked up some GT4's, they were really really bad. We'll never use them again. Pay a few quid more and order a few tubes of AS30's, they're much more durable.

5. ThomasJE

ThomasJE Regular Member

So GT4's and maybe GT3 and AS10 are out of the question.

But what about GT2's? Has anyone had any good experiences with them?

6. ThomasJE

ThomasJE Regular Member

I'd need to order by today (in about 4 hours), and I'm considering these three:

Carlton GT3 (£13.99)
    Carlton GT2 (£14.99)
    Yonex AS30 (£15.80)
    Prices for 1 tube of 12.

I'm leaning towards the GT2; has anyone had any good experiences with them? Also, are the AS30's worth the extra pound?

Thanks in advance.

7. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Try them, if they're no good then get the AS30's next time.

8. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    For the price of Yonex 30's you could pay a little more and get something better. They don't last. Plus if you are going to use them with int/adv they will chew through them. With the higher string tensions they will flatten and soften rapidly. Have a look at Yehlex Premiership. We've found them reasonable in quality and cost effective. There's an equation you can use when choosing shuttles. Cost you can afford/durability = the best shuttle for you. Happy hunting