Chosing the right racket.

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by genzm, Apr 7, 2013.

1. genzm

genzm New Member

Hy everyone,
    I've played badminton for about 3-4 years now. This is the second time my strings broke off. Now instead of placing new strings, I am considering to buy a new racket.
    When I first started I just picked a racket out of good luck, cause I knew nothing about badminton. (It's a Yonex musclepower 5). I would like a better racket now.
    To describe myself (as a player), I'm no longer a beginner neither am I a professional player, so I suppose somewhat intermediate. I mostley play doubles, but I like singles much more. I am a rather offensive player.
    Now I've done some reading and have a few questions now:
    is yonex better than carlton? Because at a local store cartlon's are at serious reduction (up to 70%) so is this worht considering buying a Carlton or is Carlton just complete rubbish (I suppose not)?
    Second, I would think that a lighter racket is better. So why would anyone buy a racket of 95gr if you could by one of 80gr? That's not really clear to me.
    Now which balance should I choose, which weight, which head shape,... I know this is mostley a personal desiscion, but I'm new to it and I've only had 1 racket, so I don't really have a personal opinion yet.

Thanks for all the tips,
    Genzm

2. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Some people prefer Yonex, some people prefer Carlton. If you prefer fast light rackets, you're more likely to enjoy playing with Carlton. That said, looking at the reductions isn't always the best idea; look instead at the price you're paying and decide based on that whether you want to pay that much, less or more.

Heavier rackets on the other hand, are more Yonex' territory. A heavier racket can smash harder (transfer of energy), but will move slower when defending. Again, don't be fooled by discounts, look at what you're actually paying.

If you get the chance to test out some rackets, do so! Find out whether you prefer flexible or stiff rackets, heavy or light (and ask your friends which you play better with). If you don't know, holding a few rackets in hand at the shop is better than nothing, but won't tell you much. a medium-weigh, even balance, medium flex racket is a good place to start, but be aware that 'medium' is different for each brand.

3. genzm

genzm New Member

thanks for the tips.
    It's really anoying that you can't really test the rackets. And there is always some extra cartons or papers on the racket so you can't really feel the weight of it. :/
    Maybe an example might help me, I've got 3 racket possible:
    Carlton ignite speed (costing 20euro)
    Carlton air intercept (costing 30euro)
    Carlton vapour trail flux (costing 40 euro)

These are 3 diffirent rackets which all cost differently. But when I look at their specs, they seem quit equal to me (especially the ignite speed and the air intercept). So what's the difference between those?

4. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member