London Grand Prix 2013

Discussion in 'Russia / London / Dutch Open 2013' started by LdonGrandPrx, Apr 8, 2013.

1. LdonGrandPrx

LdonGrandPrx Regular Member

Urban Badminton
    Hi,

I wanted to contact you and let you know about our newly launched and highly anticipated London Grand Prix event, which is taking place at the Copper Box on Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park from 1-6 October 2013.

This event is very much part of the Olympic Legacy and it will see some of the world’s best player’s return to London as part of the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) Grand Prix Gold event series, giving spectators a different badminton experience altogether.

The Copper Box will be transformed into an impressive badminton arena showcasing six rounds and 243 matches over six days of competition and it promises to showcase the athleticism, speed and power of badminton, whilst giving the spectator real entertainment value.

The trailer for the event can be found here and the official website is www.LondonGrandPrixGold.com where spectators can find further information and purchase tickets.

It would be great if this can be listed on your website along with the web address and video. I have also attached some artwork to go with the listing where possible.

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

do we know which big names have entered?

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

[​IMG]

Venue : Copper Box Arena, Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park

Total prize-money : US$120,000

Tournament website : http://www.londongrandprixgold.co.uk/

Tournamentsoftware link : http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/matches.aspx?id=8F919726-8CA0-416B-B84C-D1895410EC71

London time : http://www.worldtimezone.com/time/wtzresult.php?CiID=12008&forma=Find Time

Today's programme will consist of WS qualification and MS R/64, started on 10.00am local time. Some notable names like Wang Xin, Sayaka Sato and Zhang Beiwen are expected to book main draw ticket.

The tournament logo is so artistic, like it :)

Who will be out as the champion of this first ever London GP Gold? We'll know on Sunday ;)

4. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Is there a live-stream available?

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

the long awaited!
    Wang Xin is back!

6. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Hope she has learnt from WL's mistakes and won't rush into things in rebuilding her game. If she can regain her LO2012 form, China will still have a formidable trio comprising LXR , LX and herself for next year's UC, now that WYH and WSX have, IMHO, more or less stagnated

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

well, she is also in the qualification round of the DEN SS with a week's break between them!

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

and Wang Xin just won her first comeback match with ease;

Untitled.jpg

#8 AlanY, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  9. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

She is through to the main draw, beating GB's young Georgina B in two sets.
    OOps! Second-hand news.

#9 tbgoh288, Oct 1, 2013
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Keep it up, Wang Xin ! With determination and perseverance, slow and steady wins the race. I really miss her beautiful attacking badminton.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I thought there's a livestream at kakibara.com, now it's gone.

12. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

I like the way she covers the court, so fleet-footed. Lefties' games are always pleasant to watch.

13. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

Oh yeah! Henri Hurskaininen is on to the next round! I'm not sure what happens in his next match though.

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Carolina Marin will play tomorrow at 2pm.

15. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

Day 1 report.

So to the Queen Elizabeth II Olympic Park in East London for the first day of the first London GP Gold tournament. The venue is the Copperbox – if you walk there from Stratford International station you'll see the famous Olympic stadium:
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 001.jpg

and if you're late...:
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 003.jpg

or go by bus:
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 004.jpg

The exterior is like...a copper box!:
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 006.jpg

and inside:
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 012.jpg

First up was Wang Xin with left leg heavily strapped, although this did not impede her as she easily breazed past Georgina Bland of England 21 - 6, 21 – 13:
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 013.jpg

Anup Sridhar, fresh from his success in the Czech Open on Sunday was forced to retire against Tian Houwei:
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 016.jpg

and it was good to see Sayaka Sato back on court, again with heavy strapping:
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 024.jpg

Clearly still finding her form, she overcame a plucky Victoria Williams from England, 21 – 7, 21 -11.

In fact, if you're a supporter of English Badminton, it wasn't a great day:
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 019.jpg
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 026.jpg

Match of the day – Lucas Corvee (FRA) vs.Hsu Jui Ting (TPE)
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 022.jpg
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 027.jpg

Corvee is a player to watch in my opinion, and should be able to challenge the leading European men's singles players soon. He has a good net game, is quick and lithe around court and seems to have a cool temperament.

The inventive Joe Wu from New Zealand was up against Dmitri Zavadavsky from Ukraine, but Dmitri was wise to Joe's creativity, and won out 21 – 8, 21 – 10.
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 029.jpg

The nerve centre...
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 036.jpg

Dieter Domke clearly in awesome form as Milan Ludic retires after only three points:
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 039.jpg

Finally, nice to Joachim Perrson back on the scene and looking relaxed and confident against one of the three Sams playing men's singles for England (Dobson, the others being Parsons and Phillips):
    London GP Gold Oct 2013 040.jpg

He won out 21 – 10, 21 – 16, but credit to Dobson for sticking with Joachim for much of the second game. Let's also mention Alex Lane (ENG) who put up a spirited display against Kuei Chun Shih (TPE) and Beiwen Zhang (USA) who seems to have come in under the radar and could well make an impact here, having seen off promising English newcomer, Lynette Aung 21- 5, 21 – 12.

It's a great venue, but if you're planning to come along and don't like burgers and fries, bring your own food.

#15 Smautf, Oct 1, 2013
  16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    no offence but the colour of the seats are a bit distracting for the players.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Indeed, too many colours. If they are all of one colour, it should be all right; I suppose the Copper Box arena isn't meant for badminton only,obviously, but multi-sport.

Wonder if the lighting is suitable for badminton. However, from the look of it, the whole place looks welcoming. Let's hope the London GPG gets elevated to SS status in good time.

#17 Justin L, Oct 1, 2013
  18. bigying

bigying Regular Member

ERP Consultant
    i have been wondering where the chinese mens team B players (such as tian houwei and xue song) have gone. they were doing well some 6 months ago, but then we don't see them in tournaments anymore.

19. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Part of LYB/CBA's strategy not to burn out their young players or, worse still, kill their badminton careers prematurely, I suppose.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lest I'm misunderstood,let me explain that my query on the lighting in the arena is not targeted at the Copper Box. It's just that once in a blue moon in various tournaments,we see players looking up at the lighting when they mishit an overhead shot as if it's the lighting affecting them. As I understand it, besides the drift, the other environmental condition affecting the player is the lighting in the venue.