User Tag List

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

28 and up...
    i string mine at 28... most of others for 25... some world players 32+...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun
    aside from "what is the best" racket, the most common question seems to be "what is the ideal tension?"

of course, we all know that there is no answer. but most ppl won't be happy with that answer, cuz we effectively didn't answer their question.

of course, we know nothing is absolute. but how about we redefine "ideal"?

if the question is "what is the ideal tension" without any other information, then we can say, well, "given what we have been told by you" (ie. very little), the ideal tension is:....

so what is the property of "ideal" in that situation? the ideal in the uninformed situation will be "the most typical", or "the tension that most ppl would likely be accustomed to". in other words, probably bang in the middle, or the median tension.

given this definition of "ideal", i'd vote for a tension of 22-23lbs. even beginners should be able to hit decent shots with 23lbs. and the hard hitter will not find 23lbs to be too weak a tension.

so what do everybody else think?
    i had mine stringed at 24. i used to be at 22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well this is a good thread-or string

I have learned a lot in just few minutes of reading posts. I dont know why but I just assumed that higher tension meant more power and more distance.

wrong!!!

At my local Yonex shop here in bangkok they don't really give advice on wht string or tension to use--so we just take the most expensive one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where is the local Yonex shop in bangkok ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Monster
    where is the local Yonex shop in bangkok ?
    there are tons of them--almost every big shopping mall has one. I go to the one at Central City BangNa or the one at Secon Center.

On Sukhumvit soi 26 there is one right across from the Four Wings Hotel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in peoples experiences, what is regarded as a good tension for someone with little wrist power, but power coming mainly from srms/shoulders, as is someone rather muscular. I want a tension with goos smashing power, and 'decent' control for net shots.

The racket is an at500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The test involves hitting baseline-to-baseline clears with only forearm pronation. For example, you stand at the baseline, perpendicular to the net, and hit clears. If you can clear with 20 lbs, try 21 lbs the next time. If you can handle 21 lbs, try 22 lbs . . . until your clear no longer reach the baseline. Now you know the upper limit of tension you can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by powerboy
    in peoples experiences, what is regarded as a good tension for someone with little wrist power, but power coming mainly from srms/shoulders, as is someone rather muscular. I want a tension with goos smashing power, and 'decent' control for net shots.

The racket is an at500

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The optimum tension is a lot lower than the upper limit. You must be able to clear comfortably after 3 consecutive intense games. If you string close to the upper limit, you will start fine, but after a while you will feel your arm is going to fall off, and all your clears go half court or worst.
    Last edited by CoolDoo6; 08-26-2006 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    The test involves hitting baseline-to-baseline clears with only forearm pronation. For example, you stand at the baseline, perpendicular to the net, and hit clears. If you can clear with 20 lbs, try 21 lbs the next time. If you can handle 21 lbs, try 22 lbs . . . until your clear no longer reach the baseline. Now you know the upper limit of tension you can handle.
    i agree.
    i came from 22 lbs and then 24 after several month now i am at 26 lbs might be 28 next month ( waiting restring ). what i can share with my limited experience, that higher tension is giving more control but you need more power to spend, so higher tension need better fitness ,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6
    The optimum tension is a lot lower than the upper limit. You must be able to clear comfortably after 3 consecutive intense games. If you string close to the upper limit, you will start fine, but after a while you will feel your arm is going to fall off, and all your clears go half court or worst.
    I will tell my story about tension experimentation:

I just recently found out that I could play with high tensions (30x32 lb), the feeling is crisp, power wasn't lacking on my MP99.

And I could still clear comfortably after 2 intense games, and 2 moderately intense ones.

BUT, during those times, I noticed that I wasn't hitting the sweet spot consistently -- it was really small compared to what used before (25x27, 27x29). That maybe the cause on why I tend to smash weaker than my other companions, and why I lift too long.

So, with CoolDoo6's statement coinciding with what I found out: my ideal tension is quite low compared to what my upper limit is. Since I haven't trained so that I could hit the sweet spot consistently at 30x32lb, I went back to something more comfortable, in the size-of-sweet-spot sense.

Right now, I think the ideal tension is around 22lbs -- just barely on the limit for beginners, usual for some intermediate players, and on the cone of my Yonex racket for warranty's sake.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have said this before, but I can't find it, so I'll say it again:

All this fascination with higher tension is overrated. I feel you should play with the lowest tension you feel comfortable/confident with.

There are only two reasons/advantages to use higher tension:

1) More control. But this can be potentially negated because higher tension leads to a smaller sweet spot.

2) To impress your peers , "Wow! You string at 32+ lbs.!"

Now for all the negative effects of higher tension, which clearly outweigh the benefits:

1) String breaks much faster

2) Frame breaks much faster

3) Harder to find competent stringers to string your racket

4) Added unnecessary stress on your arm and shoulder

5) All this adds to more money spent on equipment and/or (potential) doctor visits

Please feel free to add anything I left out.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second what Sir DinkALot said. I just want to add 1 additional point.

You can string @32lb+ and other think "Wow, he use a racquet with 32lb+ tension" before the game. After your got your @ss kicked becuase you can not find the sweet spot @32lb+ and other will think "What a dumb @ss". Find the tension that can win game for you. Because winning game will impress more people and gain respect of fellow player than Playing with high tension racquet. Also, a racquet with super high tension require a good stringer, not a good player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cooler to add:

advantages of high tension:
    - it has a nice ping sound
    - it will tell u after a few hits, the truth will come out, ur not a pro

disadvantages
    - it void all warranty i know of (sure, some come with a 30 lbs warranty. Try getting a free replacement.)
    - it can break your racket if u dunno how to cut the string.
    - tension will drop off very fast. U can brag about your 33 lbs but it's really around 29 lbs about 2 weeks and continue to drop. (depending on string type)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice points Cooler.

But it can be said, higher tension nice ping, lower tension, nice "BOOM!"

Excellent point about the voiding of the warranty. I knew I forgot stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    cooler to add:

advantages of high tension:
    - it has a nice ping sound
    - it will tell u after a few hits, the truth will come out, ur not a pro

disadvantages
    - it void all warranty i know of (sure, some come with a 30 lbs warranty. Try getting a free replacement.)
    - it can break your racket if u dunno how to cut the string.
    - tension will drop off very fast. U can brag about your 33 lbs but it's really around 29 lbs about 2 weeks and continue to drop. (depending on string type)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pertaining to what cooler and DinkALot said, I've also observed that...

it costs a lot of money to use high tension -- due to tensions drop pretty fast (even during a game, some of the string bed resettling!), so you might end up cutting the strings earlier than planned, and that adds up to your monthly expenses. >_<

To help enlighten others, I've posted my journey to look for my ideal tension. I found out that it is the tension that I'm most comfortable with, in terms of sweet spot size, power, cost, and control(also associated with sweet spot size).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranmira
    Pertaining to what cooler and DinkALot said, I've also observed that...

it costs a lot of money to use high tension -- due to tensions drop pretty fast (even during a game, some of the string bed resettling!), so you might end up cutting the strings earlier than planned, and that adds up to your monthly expenses. >_<

To help enlighten others, I've posted my journey to look for my ideal tension. I found out that it is the tension that I'm most comfortable with, in terms of sweet spot size, power, cost, and control(also associated with sweet spot size).
    yes, i don't have measured tension so i had quoted tension loss very conservatively. It depends alot of type of string and how it was strung. Losing 1 lb after the first 5 min is not unreal.

so from your deduction:
    optimal tension = aA + bW + cI + dL

where:
    a= racket form factor(racket dependent)
    A=area of stringbed
    b=unit conversion factor
    W=your bench press weight
    c= unit conversion factor
    A=your annual income
    d=unit conversion factor
    L=your playing level

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    yes, i don't have measured tension so i had quoted tension loss very conservatively. It depends alot of type of string and how it was strung. Losing 1 lb after the first 5 min is not unreal.

so from your deduction:
    optimal tension = aA + bW + cI + dL

where:
    a= racket form factor(racket dependent)
    A=area of stringbed
    b=unit conversion factor
    W=your bench press weight
    c= unit conversion factor
    A=your annual income
    d=unit conversion factor
    L=your playing level

Yes, yes, this equation sounds just about right. However, should W be more of a power unit instead of a strength unit? I don't bench press a lot, but I think 25lb. is still a comfortable tension for me.

And I think this idea of having an equation to help explain ideal tension in concise terms is swell. Engineering student at your heels, master.

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast