User Tag List

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lower tension for main string

I always lower my main string 2 lbs than the cross string...
    So most of my rackets are strung by main 20/cross 22. And for 4U one...the Iso SP TI SR, I string at 18/20 for it's life...

Once I tried 23/25 on my Sotx Woven 3...
    Need some hours to familiar with it...(Play until it lost some tension then feel comfortable,hehehe)

I like BG 80 and BG 85

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah, it's been overdone to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin
    Sheesh... talk about clubbing a snake over the head, even after it's dead... LOL

We reached a concensus of roughly 23lbs as ideal tension, and that is fine with me

Let's leave it at that. LOL

-Kelvin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

23lbs is best for me. I not sure why pro players' tensions have escalated. Is it a macho thing? Do pro players really know what a good or bad tension is anyway? My stringing machine pulls pretty accurate tension - I've tried higher tensions but the optimum always seems to be 22lbs or 23lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ideal Tension

beginner: 17.5 - 18.5 lbs
    intermediate: 18.5 - 21 lbs
    advanced: 21 - 24 lbs

Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only like 20x22 in most of cases.
    Sometimes I do 21x23, but not very often.

To me, somewhere around 20+ is like a good tension for me since I don't have a strong arm anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

something nobody's mentioned yet here is:

Temperature!

assuming you get your racket strung in an environment at room temp, if you play in a hot place, or a cold place, it can make a really big difference!

I realized this after going from a warm place to a cold one, and breaking two sets of bg65 in less than an hour, not to mention the tighter feel.

given that, i'd recommend 23x25 in a hot climate as a generally good tension, or 21x23 in a cooler place

edit: and on BF, if anyone ever asks "what tension," then we'll know their locale, assuming they've entered one on the forum, so i think this is a reasonable assumption of knowledge

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anywhere from 24 - 29 should be good... hahhaha... i cant help but add that its based on your personal preference...hahahahah.... oh well...

my 4 rackets are strung at 25, 29, 29, 29...

calvin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my racquets are strung at 23 (ti5) and 25 (mp99)..
    it suits me pretty well

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Ideal Tension

I don't know what machine you guys are stringing on and what type of clamping you are doing, but your answers seem awfully high to me. With a drop weight stringer with good clamping system I would recommend around 17-18 lbs for beginners(15- 16 lbs for women beginners). Around 20 for intermediate club players who play a couple of tourneys a year. And for everyday players, whatever they feel hits best for them, assuming they know that a racquet can collapse at stringing 20+ lbs if there is any kind of hairline fracture. As for factory tensions I believe Yonex and Black Knight string at about 17 lbs factory tension. It was not long ago that the pros would string at 25# maximum. The tensions people want is definitely an EGO thing. Most people can't hit like a pro so why should they prescribe to PRO tensions. Just my opionion.

Okoman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Racquet tension cont.

I almost forgot. I string my racquets at 19.5 lbs mains by 20.5 lbs cross.

Canada. China. Sweden. I do live in many places, yes...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15? 20? 30? does it really apply for everyone to have the "ideal" tension??
    I guess not. what really matters would probably be the sound of the smash u get out of those strings.

a nice big smack sound does it. like when u are slapping a chubby guy with a huge piece of cardboard.

21 works for me pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played water polo in high school and always had a strong arm. When I first started playing badminton I found the tension made no difference since I had tons of power. I recall the racket I was using was heavy( aluminum frame 2 pc racket) and the string was very lose... 18lb. but I was able to crush several birds each night ( some come from mis hits. but you get the idea ) . When I hit a hard smash there was alot of BASS in the POP... more likea heavy tennis serves. Anyways, I havent been able to reproduce those hits nowadays with tighter string tensions (26lb) but it could just be that I am not as strong since I dont lift weights anymore.

As far as string tension, I think if you have great racket speed, you will be able to hit a hard smash with a high tension string ( racket speed is important since with high tension the bird does not stay on the string very long ) But you can also achieve the same smash with slower racket speed + more arm power + a heavier racket and low string tension ( bird stays on the string longer thus more power is transfered ?? ). So once again, there is no ideal tension, its different for everyone. One must take into other factors such as Racket weight, arm strength, swing radius, and the flex on the racket.. Bottom line is, if you have the right technique, you can swing the racket fast, and that translates into fast hard shots. I mean think about it, how heavy is a badminton racket ?? Its only 80g to 95g. Your arm is much heavier and its more important that you swing your arm the right way than the 2-3 lb of string tension.

TIP... BADMINTON is a technical and mental sport more than physical. The footwork and correctness in your swing will most likely determine how hard you can hit... physical comes in play when you want to be the best player in your club : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ideal tension

Quote Originally Posted by david14700
    I think what Kwun is trying to do (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is to get a feel for what everyone out there thinks of as their ideal tension, so that we can see if a common average emerges. Just from reading the 10 posts above, it seems like somewhere between 22-24 lbs seems to be the most popular range.

We can all agree that below 16lbs would be too low and truly suck, and above 32 lbs would probably be too high for most of us.

So you could almost see a curve, from too low to too high, with a optimum point somewhere in between, though not necessarily in the middle.

We're not talking about string thickness or type, or stringing techniques, because we all know they can make a big difference, but assuming that they are all the same, what is the optimum tension?

About five years ago, I would have said 22 lbs, but now I'm happier with 24 lbs, and I'm sure it has something to do with improved rackets as well. I'm more confident stringing tighter with the new rackets because I'm confident the frame can take it.
    So what do you think is the ideal tension for an armortec 700?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mayaN
    So what do you think is the ideal tension for an armortec 700?
    between 15 and 35 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so confused what is difference between high and low tension
    why professional players always choose high tension?high tension will make the feeling so hard and without any elasticity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They make use of the small sweet spot with the greatest of efficiency. Since when have you last heard a pro playing with a misshit?? Almost never. All the hits are solid even though there is a smaller sweet spot in the higher tension strung racquet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelchen_SH
    I am so confused what is difference between high and low tension
    why professional players always choose high tension?high tension will make the feeling so hard and without any elasticity.
    when you reach to the professional level, the answer will come to you so dont worry about it.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast