User Tag List

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then i know what i can do now is practise..............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok.. i like mine 27-29.. high tension.. with this kind of tension i find that if i mishit then it's a goner but the key to using this tension is to hit the sweet-spot... it will definitely produce better power.. also, with this tension strokes must be harder than with lower tension.. if u hit too softly then the shot will be weak... so that's why the pro's like high tension, cause they can hit at the sweet-spot most of the time, hardly any mishit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know about others but i more confortable with the tension between 25-27 .... more powerful for smashing i guess.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mp99 with bg80 at around 25 I think.

My stringing guy told me that ususlly other stringers string at around 20 when teh customers do not specify the tension, but he said that he strings more tight than others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I don't get. In tennis, lower tension = more power, less control. I actually liked stringing my tennis rackets low because I liked the feeling of the ball staying on the racket longer. It was easier to impart more spin on soft shots. Problem with the low tension racket in tennis though is that you have to keep swinging at an even, steady pace or else you'd airmail your strokes out of the park. This is why McEnroe was viewed as a genius for his remarkable control (net or groundstroke) over a racket that was strung at a ridiculously low 50 pounds. In tennis, even beginners string higher.

Spin is largely irrelevant in badminton and a lot of players like the crisp hit associated with a high tension racket but am I wrong in assuming that, in badminton, a lower tension would give you a more powerful smash? I assume that control for net play would be an issue but let's leave that out of the question for the time being.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealMad
    This is what I don't get. In tennis, lower tension = more power, less control. I actually liked stringing my tennis rackets low because I liked the feeling of the ball staying on the racket longer. It was easier to impart more spin on soft shots. Problem with the low tension racket in tennis though is that you have to keep swinging at an even, steady pace or else you'd airmail your strokes out of the park. This is why McEnroe was viewed as a genius for his remarkable control (net or groundstroke) over a racket that was strung at a ridiculously low 50 pounds. In tennis, even beginners string higher.

Spin is largely irrelevant in badminton and a lot of players like the crisp hit associated with a high tension racket but am I wrong in assuming that, in badminton, a lower tension would give you a more powerful smash? I assume that control for net play would be an issue but let's leave that out of the question for the time being.
    Sorry, five pages into this forum I found a rather lengthy discussion on the subject. That's more than enough to read, even though it seems like no one came up with a definitive answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally for me 30lbs and above. This is my usual now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just want to add, it is harder for me to work with tensions lower than what I'm used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been trying several tension sets in past 3 months, now I am using BG-66 at 21x23, which has been very good for me. 20x22 also works OK for me as well, but I think 21x23 works the best for me (at this moment.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, i'd still prefer 23-24lbs. I had both my mp99 and at-500 strung with bg-80 at 23

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb A guy...

Eh, I used to string my racquets at main: 22 and cross: 24, but I am going to get this guy I trust to restring my racquets at 28 or 30 pounds (cross, with main 2 pounds lighter).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ideal tension?

I believe there is no ideal tension for racket stringing. As long as you're on the range, you could play it right. Practically, it would be at the range of 20-26. Your choice would surely depend on how you were taught to play badminton, and how you adjusted and developed to a competitive player. In short, you can use your "own" tension as long as you're comfortable with it and at the same time delivering results as you would like it to be. Lower tension for better control, higher tension for power. Let's play!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 25lbs

this is a wonderful thread!! i recently started playing badminton again after a break of like 10 over years. bought a racket and the guy recommended a tension of 22 lbs since i have no clue what tension to ask for.

then i went on to buy another racket (a titanium one cos the guy said is so good etc) and he recommended a tension of 25lbs cos he said that 22 lbs is too soft and has no power.

i took his advise cos i wanted to see the difference the 2 tensions and after playing w both rackets, i realised that the 25lb give better control and still gives very good power( as compared to the 22lb) but you need to hit it with a good stroke in order to see the effect.

the 22 lb gives similiar power but seems more difficult when it comes to placement at drop shots and netting.

now, i have restrung the 22 lb to 25lb and am happy with it cos i find it more suitable for me as it still gives good power with added control.

i was a bit puzzled and unsure of what i am doing as most yonex rackets indicated only a recommended tension of up to 24lbs. and i seem to be getting better power from the 25lb than 22 lb in smash though most website says that lower tension should give more power.

i am glad to have come across this thread as now i know its common to string at 25lb though the range is really quite wide (18-30lbs)

my conclusion, if you are stronger, even a beginner can take a higher tension cos raw arm power can give you sufficient power. if you are a season player but weaker physically, a lower tension will give you the same power but your experience will compensate when it comes to control.

ideal would be 22-25 lbs......for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ideal would be around 22-23 lbs for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My son's experiences

1 For testing the diff tensiond and diff strings, I have bought 2 Ti-Swing SX for my son(he likes using it). The testing is an on-going exercise

2 The first time: both racket with 22LB, both BG68ti, A with Japanese Domestic(with Japaness words and more expensive), B with Export version. Both BG68ti were made in Japan. My son did not know which is which. He said the Japan one is most powerful and a little bit better control. The next time when all the string were broken, he wants the Japan domestic model. I told him the cost of the domestic one is 40% more expensive. He said than go for the export one because the diff is not very huge.

3 The second time: both racket with Export version(cheaper) BG68ti, A at 23lb and B at 24lb. He said both 23lb and 24lb were better than 22LB. He uses 23lb and 24lb for a few weeks. Initially, he said both has diff characteristics, both have some diff advantage. Fianlly, he prefers 24LB. Next time we will try 25lb.

4 We also have a AT700sp which is at 23lb. He also use the AT 700 a lot he said AT700sp at 23LB is definitely better than the two Ti-swing SX.

Please note: all the 3 rackets were prepared by the same guy same machine and similiar time. My son spent a lot of time training each week with diff rackets.

5 This testing is still going on: 10 days ago I bought a AT800OFcp at 27lb from my son's coach. My son likes it and uses it for competitions. But still need to work on for the best tension and best racket because his coach promises to get us a AT700cp and later a nanospeed7000cp for final comparison.

6 My opinion: try get 2 same rackets you like with favorate strings to test for the best tension. Weapon is so important.

Quote Originally Posted by kwun

so, if anybody asks for ideal tension for a racket ----> 23lbs.
    Last edited by redkingjoe; 10-14-2004 at 08:17 PM. Reason: too early submit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the best tension is 21lb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still a little bit worried about the advice on my racket. I play MP100 3U/G4 with a recommended tension of 16-20lbs. I prefere 24.

What is the maximum that an insometric racket can hold (even longer than 5 minutes)?

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast