User Tag List

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have'nt tried it yet before i bought it.. I just read the reviews of NS9900.. I do have also armortec900 but i broke it.. I restrung my NS9900 into 26lbs.. Tomorrow ill try to play using my NS9900 with a higher tension

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my ArcSaber 7s strung at 28lbs (manually). I find its a nice balance between power and control. Recently I had one of them restrung on an electric machine. I was told it would done to 27 becasue electric's tighter than manual. However when i picked it up the guy said it was around 32 haha.
    Got to say, as much as the frame probably hates it, its awesome. Shots leave the strings with a crisp tone. Great control around the net, and rediculous power when you nail a shot on the sweetspot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most raquets can handle 14kg fairly easily (29-30 lbs), even the NS6000 Extra Flex head-light racquet (though tis is it's practical maximum). Even though Yonex states that they are only guaranteed till 11 kg (24lbs).. Most stiff high-end Yonex racquets (espcially the medium-balanced to head-heavy balanced) can handle way over 17 kg (36 lbs) whilst being (re)strung.

For beginners I usually string around 9 kg (18-20 lbs), intermediate around 10-11 kg (23-24 lbs) and advanced/semi-pro 13+ kg (28 lbs+). More than 10 kg (22 lbs) for a beginner, well, only if you want a lot of buisiness because they'll be breaking it all the time. Beginners also usually play with synthetic shuttlecocks, which will be very hard to play with when you play with over 23-24 lbs stringforce. You will get injuries on your shoulder as well.

Also you should note that not every 30 lbs. is the same 30 lbs. A lot depends on how capable the stringer is and what kind of machine he/she uses (arm-weight are usually way more accurate then coil-spring system or uncalibrated electric machine). I've seen players string raquets at 14 kilo which made about the same sound as 10.5 kg from my machine (using the same string and raquet). Usually, over 28 pounds breaks at the first misshit. Over 33/34 lbs (16 kg) the raquet might come along when your string snaps. Over 17 kg (36-37 lbs, the racket will come along (see Kenichi Hayakawa who plays at 17.5 kg)..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually have a post about this on my website, just go to http://www.apbstringers.co.uk and follow the link to my blog, hopefully it should answer any questions you have about string tension!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, just sharing some experience though i'm just recently playing again after several years of not holding any rackets..

I have a Yonex MP 66 racket (and i have confirmed it in other thread that it's a fake, its okay) using BG 68 Ti with 26 lbs tension. Personally, before even stringing my own racket, i'd try different rackets owned by my friends and i'll just copy the tension that felt good on my arm and shoulder. But now i know that i have made mistakes, i tried my friend's racket (Nanoray 20, original one) with BG 66 string and pulled 26 lbs. When i string my own racket, i want to use BG 68 Ti because of it's soft feeling (at least that's what the package says). I ask the stringer to pull it to 26 lbs (because i love the feel on my friend's racket with 26 lbs tension). When it's done, i notice quite the difference between BG 66 and BG 68 Ti, even with the same tension level.

Is this possible? I even strung the racket on the same shop as my friend's. But somewhat, i'll stick with 26 lbs, it felt great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm an intermediate player who plays badminton about 10 hours a week, and I currently use Yonex Voltric 9 factory strung. My questions are these:1. What is the approximate "factory strung" tension in yonex? this is important because i want to affirm my first ever custom string job.2. I've heard that Victor Brave sword can take up to 30lbs. ButI've heard that if you increase the tension drastically, it would not be good. How much lbs increase would be 'drastic'?3. I live in Calgary, Canada. It's a cold(sometimes not), dry place.So does that mean the tension will actually get a little bit tighter, or it doesn't matter since I am playing indoors anyway?Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may be different on your continent - although I doubt it - but racquets leave the factory without strings . They leave the distributor / importer without strings . The shop puts the strings on. In Europe at anywhere around 16 to 22 lbs judging from the ones I've had to re-string when just purchased . An increase of two or three pounds from these starting points wouldn't deserve to be labelled drastic , but you will certainly feel the difference . Or at least most folk do. Others seem to be indifferent to changes in tension . Which will you be ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, Thank you for your info. I haven't requested any custom stringing but instead bought factory-strung rackets. I asked a stringer at that place whether it is possible to know the tension of the racket string. He said no. After some research, I found that yonex factory strung tension ranges from 18-20 lbs. However i want to know the exact tension so that when I buy my next racket (Brave sword 10), I can test which tension would suit me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

playing indoors anyway?Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi.Can anyone tell me the differences between 2 knob and 4 knob of stringing style?

Any info is very much appreciated. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yesterday i went to sport store...the owner of the store told me that the ideal tension is around 22-24lbs...he also says that racket with high tension capability such as Apacs Lurid 3ower 23 and Apacs Foray 300 is just a it just a marketing strategy...38lbs is way too high...he also said that professional players like Datuk Lee Chong Wei,Lin Dan just using around 25-28lbs....is that true??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm I would just like to ask , does that mean that Higher Tension = more force needed to deliver a full court lob shot and Lower Tension = Less force needed ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anonops View Post
    that professional players like Datuk Lee Chong Wei,Lin Dan just using around 25-28lbs....is that true??
    This is definitely not true. I enjoy higher tensions, but there are steep drawbacks:
    - shoulder pain and other injuries if technique is incorrect (more stress on the arm)
    - much easier to break a string, means more money spent on average
    - having to worry about getting a reliable stringer, caring about small things like if cold weather will make the strings more likely to snap

Yesterday, I played at the local YMCA and snapped one of my 28lb rackets. It was a mishit and I had only used it for maybe 5 hours maximum. At $20 a pop, that's a pretty steep price!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stuffs that will increase force? :
    1) high string tension (repel fast, short contact time = large force (F = change in momentum/contact time)
    2) stiff racquet (doesnt flex, so does not generate opposite moment)
    3) solid wrist and fore arm muscles to grip the handle like concrete around a pole for good transfer
    4) fast swing (aerodynamic light head gives you this)
    5) final acceleration of the wrist in a snap action.. (heavy head gives the maximum)

stuffs that will reduce force? :
    1) racquet flexing resulting in increase in contact time
    2) strings flexing absorbing the shuttle increasing contact time
    3) weak wrist and forearm muscles unable to provide a solid support to racquet resulting in poor force generation
    4) slow swing
    5) lack of wrist snap final acceleration
    6) softening of the shuttlehead and compression leading to increase contact time...

Force is not everything.. high string tension reduces contact time significantly... even from 0.1 second to 0.05 second.. the force on the shuttle doubles, and the force on your wrist doubles! injuries will result..

best tension is found through experimentation.. one that allows you to not get injured, able to generate good force every time with no fatique to forearm muscles.. able to absorb the recoil is more important that able to get the shuttle to go harder/faster..

i went up to 27 before.. and now i'm happy with 24-25.. beyond that performance declines.. if one is competitive, then go as high as you can control (no point missing shots or unable to direct shuttles to where you want with such quick unmanageable contact times).. offense is not the key to enjoying the game nor winning it

sorry for being a nag with this post. :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stuffs that will increase force? :
    1) high string tension (repel fast, short contact time = large force (F = change in momentum/contact time)-Incorrect
    2) stiff racquet (doesnt flex, so does not generate opposite moment)-Incorrect
    3) solid wrist and fore arm muscles to grip the handle like concrete around a pole for good transfer-More or less incorrect
    4) fast swing (aerodynamic light head gives you this)
    5) final acceleration of the wrist in a snap action.. (heavy head gives the maximum)

If you don't have the correct technique or power to make a racket bend enough, you won't ever get as much power out of it compared to a more flex racket...Guess why people recommend balanced mid flex rackets for beginners? The stiffer the racket is the harder it is to produce power, not meaning you will get less power, meaning it is harder to do so,Also, raising you tension will shrink the sweet spot, making it harder to hit the shuttle correctly, and making it more likely to get miss-hits and break your strings. Intermediate player? Don't go over 24-25 even for feather, because you're going to break your strings over and over and will get less power out of it.

Difference between stiffness is that the less stiff racket will produce power by a trampoline effect just like lower tension does. Stiffer rackets don't allow that as much, but it gives you more precision since the shuttle stays shorter on the string. I hope this is clear.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

would you mind explaining what's wrong with the physics (its high school stuff probably.. and that was like two decades ago for me) in greater detail than centralize the argument on stiffness which is just one parameter? and this is also to put aside the issue of miss-hits which is easily corrected with some practice, and a non-issue for a proper badminton player

i refer to the gripping of the handle in the split second upon shuttle contact to be necessarily strong for force transfer.

even at the string bed point of view, its acting as a "trampoline" already, the stiffness of the racquet being the second "trampoline" where the first trampoline is sitting on. as all these are flexing upon shuttle contact, your wrist has to hold the handle tight and counter the opposite moment, if not it will become a floppy hit.

the force being proportionate to the rate of change of momentum over contact time is accurate. just like why japanese cars have a good crumple zone, so that the force upon impact is reduced, thus preventing severe knock-ups within the vehicle.
    Last edited by vajrasattva; 12-01-2012 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not that the physic of tighter =more power is wrong the problem is that stating that the way you did implies that tighter=more power which is not true, since it requires a bigger effort to make that string bend as much to create more power. in my mind its clear but im no great teacher...there are alot of forums on the question that explain in a clearer way that ill ever be able to why tighter does not imply more power

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast