User Tag List

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    Using baseline to baseline clears to find out your max. tension and use this tension as your ideal tension is not the way. Your ideal max. tension is the max. tension that you can easily and comfortably hit and return all varieties of strokes, including clears, smashes, drives, backhand shots, and devastating return of opponents' smashes. It is not unusual to find that one can clear or smash at 32lbs, but when it comes to drives, drops, cut smashes, or returns of smashes the 32lbs will drop 4-5lbs, sometimes more. In that case the ideal max. tension is not 32lbs but 27lbs max., or even lower.
    Here we have taneepak suggesting practical ways of determining a person's ideal tension.

If I go by this idea, I would be at around 24x26lb, after settling.

Maybe I should suggest an ideal tension of 23 lb. for most people?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranmira
    A person's ideal depends on how he is doing currently. If the tension is high and power is low, tension should be dropped. If tension is low and power is high, tension should be increased. The definition of power in this context would be being able to produce consisten power that isn't too much or too little in all types of shots in 3 consecutive intense games. The figure for the number of consecutive games should be adjusted acording to the number you normally play. But 3 being reasonable as that's what you are expected to play in a match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Use whatever tension you are comfy with .

Quote Originally Posted by Ranmira
    Here we have taneepak suggesting practical ways of determining a person's ideal tension.

If I go by this idea, I would be at around 24x26lb, after settling.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CoolDoo6
    A person's ideal depends on how he is doing currently. If the tension is high and power is low, tension should be dropped. If tension is low and power is high, tension should be increased. The definition of power in this context would be being able to produce consisten power that isn't too much or too little in all types of shots in 3 consecutive intense games. The figure for the number of consecutive games should be adjusted acording to the number you normally play. But 3 being reasonable as that's what you are expected to play in a match.
    I agree with the principle of adjusting the tension to suit actual performance. Many players persist with high tension despite poor results; others never try higher tensions.

I disagree, however, with the idea that you can have too much power. You can never have too much power in badminton.

I would rather that my clears went out the back than hit the line. If they travel 1.5 court lengths, that's great. If they travel 2 court lengths, that's fantastic (not very likely...).

Of course, this means I would be losing many rallies because I hit out the back. But that's a short term problem. It's easy to reduce the power you use; it's harder to get the power.

Players who have extra power can use a shorter, more controlled swing, and they can become more deceptive. They can play powerful strokes even when under pressure.

So if you have "too much" power, don't try to dispose of it by adjusting your equipment. Use it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    So if you have "too much" power, don't try to dispose of it by adjusting your equipment. Use it!
    ROFL. This was the exact reason why I went up from 25x27, 27x29, and to around 30x32 lb. in the first place -- I thought I could limit the power by using tensions which lessen the power, and provide more control.

Sadly, that wasn't the case. The 'control' part, I found out, was to get a very predictable replusion from the stringbed -- perfect for those net shots and drops.

My lifts still went out by a consistent 2 inches. >_<

Are we in agreement that after playing a few games, a good/ideal tension would still be easy to use, still allows for some delicate placement and netting even if you're tired?

More suggestions?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, power is the limiting factor.

As I string at higher tensions, I get both better control and more power, up to a point.

After this, when the tension is too high, my power rapidly decreases and I get a sore arm. I'm not able to hit the sweet spot accurately enough or generate enough racket head speed to work with the tight strings.

I notice this especially on clears and smashes.

So my advice is this: try increasing your tension by 1 lb at a time. When you start to lose power or find your arm tiring more, then decrease the tension by 1 lb again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, power is the limiting factor.

As I string at higher tensions, I get both better control and more power, up to a point.

After this, when the tension is too high, my power rapidly decreases and I get a sore arm. I'm not able to hit the sweet spot accurately enough or generate enough racket head speed to work with the tight strings.

I notice this especially on clears and smashes.

So my advice is this: try increasing your tension by 1 lb at a time. When you start to lose power or find your arm tiring more, then decrease the tension by 1 lb again.
    Hmm, you mentioned getting some more power with some increase in string tension -- my friend also mentioned that to me, that the time he lent a buddy his racket with around +3/+4 lb difference with respect to the borrower's racket, he seemed to smash even better in terms of power and control.

Maybe it would be because of the racket head speed and string tension combining to provide better 'timing' to the shot? Am I making sense?

I'll try going back to a tension I liked before I started by experiment with high tensions. Sadly, I need more money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree, however, with the idea that you can have too much power. You can never have too much power in badminton.
    I suppose that's a personal preference. I for one is not looking for more power. It took me a few months to get my power under control, I am not going to waste my time starting all over again. Nevertheless, increasing tension remains a useful tool for anyone looking to reduce power - if 32lb doesn't reduce your power, try 35lb. Alternatively, go the opposit direction and lower you tension below your optimum; that will also reduce your power. An additional option is to use a less powerful string.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Gollum, there's never too much power...I personally can adjust to a tighter stringbed in +-20hits if I have a bad day a lot longer.
    some people keep looking for a certain tension so that if they hit their hardest the shuttle lands 'exactly' in (is that your goal Cooldoob?) I however, like gollum, like to have more than that. first off: harder smashes, and second: if you're in a difficult situation to still be able to clear to the backline (backhandclear/ emergency drives when you're not behind the shuttle)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    some people keep looking for a certain tension so that if they hit their hardest the shuttle lands 'exactly' in (is that your goal Cooldoob?)
    My goal was to reduce the number of points lost because the shuttle went out. At one stage 75-80% of points lost were resulting from going too long. Now this is not happening any more either I have gained control of the power or the string lost power. Either way, I am not interested in changing the power equation. Having more power than I have now would be too much power, and I am not interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ever tried 'holding back'? If I hit full power on all my clears they'd land a feet out, 3 if it was a bad lift
    however, all that "extra power" (yeah right) makes me smash harder and allows me to keep hitting hard in a 'bad' position.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't understand what's so difficult about hitting a clear with half or two-thirds of your power.

Whatever your power, you are always going to have to adjust it to hit a good length. If you can't adjust your power to make the shuttle land in the back tramlines, then you have a big weakness that will lose you many points.

Still, as long as it works for you But to me, it doesn't make any sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a high school player, i find that tension 23 is the most suitable for me. Having tried 21,22 and 24, i finally settled into 23. Maybe when I get stronger ill give 24 another try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive gone back to a lower tension as I can play 8-10 games and still have good power.--There are those of us who after a few games start smashing into the net and lobbing up short clears. It seems the longer we play the better I get. Last night we defeated good opponents 15-0-and that was coming off a 15-4 win against a team I thought we would lose to. When I try someones high tension racket seems like I often miss the sweet spot resulting in very weak shots.

to each his own

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read a previous thread on BC by someone who actually strung Kim Dong Moon's racquet that Kim Dong Moon found 30lbs too high, went down to 27lb and then settled on 25lb.

I'm sure if KDM used his full strength on 25lbs tension to clear, the shuttle would fly into the spectators seats So he obviously 'controlled' his strength.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd say 21-23.For beginners to intermediate.23-25,intermediate to advanced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had said it before, it is quite meaningless to give out 'ideal tension' since no stringers no have similar machine and calibrated similarly, nor use their machine the same way. Difference between stringers with electronic machines is smaller tho but their techniques still determine the racket shape

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast