Same racquets, string, tension,stringer; different result. Why?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by sunscreen, Apr 12, 2013.

1. sunscreen

sunscreen Regular Member

I had 2 voltric z-force (both regular editions, same U & G so tension ranges the same), strung in the same stringing session, using same strings, by the same stringer on a machine stringer, using the same tensions.

However, when I used them both for the first time after re-stringing during the same practice session, I notice the strings on one racquet (i'll call it A) "splayed" like this ()(), while the other one's strings (call it B) stayed in place markedly better.

Only difference between racquets A and B is that I've had and used B for about half a year longer and play about 2-4x weekly, whilst I've just gotten A and that was my first time playing with it.

Im kinda concerned, and all insights into why this is happening is appreciated.
    Thanks!

#1 sunscreen, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. coz4u

coz4u Regular Member

IMHO, I think your strings on Racquet A needs more time to get used to its position and stay firmly there. Racquet B is not freshly strung, therefore, it has already got its position fixed there. All newly-strung racquets will face this..

3. sunscreen

sunscreen Regular Member

^^ thanks for replying.

I owned B for longer time, but, i re-strung both at the same time in the same afternoon with same specs n string n stringer, then tested both at the same practice session a couple of days later...

4. visor

visor Regular Member

When you strum the stringbed are they the same pitch? If not, then the lower pitch has lower tension and the strings can move around more.

5. sunscreen

sunscreen Regular Member

^^^ yep, same pitch, though the sound on B seems slightly more crisp (dunno if its my imagination)....

i guess I want to know if it's a poor job done by the stringer (which some people I play with feel is the case) or if it's a matter of flexing n using my newer A more so that future re-strings "settle" in quick? Or....? (Do I make sense thinking this way?)

#5 sunscreen, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Actually, the racquets are not the same if you bought them at different times and from different sources. They are manufactured at different times (and so are different ages) and possibly stored user different conditions.

String's I would think there is less variance. Did you get both racquets stru g at the same time. We'd need some of the stringers to tell us whether the time of day can affect the strings e.g. How long the string has been out of packet before being strung, local humidity conditions, exposure to light beforehand.

TBH, I don't let it bother me and just keep playing!

7. sunscreen

sunscreen Regular Member

^^ ic re: racquets. Yep, bought about 7 months apart but from same store.

the racquets were strung in the same afternoon, one after the other (I was there watching).

Strings taken out of packet only before stringing though I've no idea if they are the same batch, but should be recent batch cause the turnover in this store v high.

Ordinarily new strings splaying, one string or at most 2 main strings splaying don't bother me, but this A had like 5-6 strings splaying; i felt my shots weren't neat and I had to pinch the strings straight on court after every point (again, I dunno if that's psychological)

I think I'll try playing with A again to see if they have settled, and if they haven't I'll cut the strings and re-string cos it's bugging me that much...

I just wish I knew why this was happening...

#7 sunscreen, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  8. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Also whether it is nearly time to finish work. ;)

Maybe the stringer didn't move the strings around on the 2nd racket when the string was being pulled? My rackets sometimes come back with strings all over the place so I spend a good 5 mins straightening them out before using it. When I play with them sometimes they move, sometimes they don't. I haven't noticed any difference in durability or playability though.