User Tag List

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Graphene strings (pure theory)

Hello BC,

I was thinking about inventing a new string incorporating the new wonder material, graphene. I would call them Dan's Graphene Strings!

The pro's are you probably would never break a string ever again and tension loss will be next to nothing.

The cons are I wouldn't get much repeat business

I wonder if you could coat feather shuttles with it?

What do you think?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the current prices of graphene, you wouldn't need any repeat business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe funny idea, but i dont think a graphene string would make much sense.It might be unbreakable but because of its high tensile strength there would be nearly no repulsion.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

high tensile strength is very different from elasticity. something that never break can still be elastic.

but back to the idea of graphene string. i don't like it. what the fun of having a string that never breaks and cost a fortune. that means i will never get to try out different strings!!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    but back to the idea of graphene string. i don't like it. what the fun of having a string that never breaks and cost a fortune. that means i will never get to try out different strings!!
    And we would be out of a job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the string will live unbreakbaly ever after..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    And we would be out of a job.
    This is true but how much could you charge for a graphene string job?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea of never replacing strings for only one racket. I'd prefer to leave others to variety.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diverdan View Post
    Hello BC,

I was thinking about inventing a new string incorporating the new wonder material, graphene. I would call them Dan's Graphene Strings!

The pro's are you probably would never break a string ever again and tension loss will be next to nothing.

The cons are I wouldn't get much repeat business

I wonder if you could coat feather shuttles with it?

What do you think?
    strong, doesnt mean not flexible, so if it flexes, there is some potential to stretch too.. :P

plus technology for making large graphene sheets is still rather pre-mature, most research labs are still trying to produce large pieces of graphene than the usual millimetre sized pieces they create... some koreans have successfully made big sheets, but still i dont think anyone has seriously considered putting it into badminton strings yet..

btw i've seen some racquets that specify that they use graphene in its structure.. i wonder how?.. tiny flakes of graphene in an epoxy matrix? or real large sheets of graphene rolled?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vajrasattva View Post
    strong, doesnt mean not flexible, so if it flexes, there is some potential to stretch too.. :P

plus technology for making large graphene sheets is still rather pre-mature, most research labs are still trying to produce large pieces of graphene than the usual millimetre sized pieces they create... some koreans have successfully made big sheets, but still i dont think anyone has seriously considered putting it into badminton strings yet..

btw i've seen some racquets that specify that they use graphene in its structure.. i wonder how?.. tiny flakes of graphene in an epoxy matrix? or real large sheets of graphene rolled?
    Well, Graphene is pretty much a one atom thick layer of graphite and some rackets have been advertised as "Multilayer Graphene". Wouldn't that become graphite ? :P