User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcliang View Post
    Progressive stringing of main string will reduce string movement. If we can control the tension so that tensions of center mains are higher than the rest mains, the string movement could be minimal or even eliminated. To those who don't have a electronic stringing machine, they are hardly to make progress stringing, just set the tension of central main higher about 1 lb will also result a relatively less movement of main strings.
    @tcliang , at what rate do you do progressive/proportional stringing? do you constantly decrease the tension as you move from center mains or is there a particular curve that you follow?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    @tcliang , at what rate do you do progressive/proportional stringing? do you constantly decrease the tension as you move from center mains or is there a particular curve that you follow?
    Kwun,

It depends on the shape of racket frame, for ISO shape frame, I do the following,
    the 1st to 4th main I keep the tension user asked.
    the 5th and the 6th, I reduce tension progressively by 0.2 lb, that is, if the original main is set to 27.2, the 5th should be 27.0 and the 6th should be 26.8.
    the 7th to the 9th I progressively reduce by 0.3 lb,
    the 10th goes 0.4 and the 11th goes 0.5. (I employ Gosen professional pattern)
    However, another guy in Taiwan like to do 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 respectively.

By the way, perhaps I can share my experience to you, the following link is my article about badminton stringing, but in traditional Chinese, I don't have time to translate them in English. It is very much appreciate if you can help.

ftp://mail.im.tku.edu.tw/Prof_Liang/...s_you_wish.pdf

also,

ftp://mail.im.tku.edu.tw/Prof_Liang/...y_yourself.pdf

Thanks in advance,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    To Kwum,

It depends on the shape of racket frame. For ISO shape frame, I do the following,

suppose user ask for 27lb,

I like to set tension to 27.2 (I found 2086 seems to repull when the tension less than the setting by 0.3), then,
    For the 1st to 4th main, I keep the original tension.
    For the 5th and 6th, I reduce tensions progressively by 0.2 lb, that is, the 5th main should be 27.0 lb and the 6th should be 26.8 lb.
    For the 7th to the 9th main, I reduce tension progressively by 0.3 lb.
    The 10th I reduce by another 0.4 lb, and progressively the 11th by 0.5 lb.
    (I employ the Gosen Professional Stringing Patern with a little modification)
    The reason is when I string a rocket without progressive tension setting, I found that the actual tension of the last main (11th) always higher than center main by around 2 lbs. However, it also depends on string used, different strings may be variate. Another guy in Taiwan like progressively reduce the tensions by 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 respectively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For ISO heads I usually tension the mid 4 higher by 1 lb and the rest the reference tension. For OVAL heads add 1 lb to the middle. You can do all sorts of variation to find one combo that you or your friends like.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to set tension to 27.2 (I found 2086 seems to repull when the tension less than the setting by 0.3), then,
    For the 1st to 4th main, I keep the original tension.
    For the 5th and 6th, I reduce tensions progressively by 0.2 lb, that is, the 5th main should be 27.0 lb and the 6th should be 26.8 lb.
    For the 7th to the 9th main, I reduce tension progressively by 0.3 lb.
    The 10th I reduce by another 0.4 lb, and progressively the 11th by 0.5 lb.
    (I employ the Gosen Professional Stringing Patern with a little modification)
    The reason is when I string a rocket without progressive tension setting, I found that the actual tension of the last main (11th) always higher than center main by around 2 lbs. However, it also depends on string used, different strings may be variate. Another guy in Taiwan like progressively reduce the tensions by 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 respectively.
    For ISO heads I usually tension the mid 4 higher by 1 lb and the rest the reference tension. For OVAL heads add 1 lb to the middle. You can do all sorts of variation to find one combo that you or your friends like.
    No wonder there's so much variation between stringers!

My tuppence: mains, all the same tension. Crosses - top one no more than 30, adding 1lb per until I get to the target, purely to protect the frame (my starting knot will stand up to at least 32, I've found).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
    eatan2, have you just tried one stringer in Australia? Before guessing the issues you are encountering might be from country differences, it would be worthwhile to see if you experienced similar results from yet another Australia stringer. From one stringer to another, there can be large calibration differences on poundage, especially with the ones using crank machines.
    well yea, I've tried 3 different stringers in Australia. First stringer strung it at 25 lbs, felt like 20 lbs. 2nd stringer strung at 28 lbs, felt a lot like 25 lbs in Malaysia. 3rd stringer strung at 27 lbs, a little bit loose than the 28 lbs. Based on these, I came to a conclusion that the tension is definitely different between Malaysia and Australia. But I am not sure whether is the Malaysian stringer that strung at a higher tension or the Australian stringer strung at a lower tension.

I am planning to buy a racket from this guy who string for the national team, I will ask for a 27 lbs and see how it goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2