String tension varies by different countries?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by eatan2, Apr 14, 2013.

1. eatan2

eatan2 Regular Member

Hey guys,

Can't seems to find any thread on this (or maybe I didn't look hard enough).

I used to string my racquets at 24lbs in Malaysia. When I came to Australia, strung a racquet at 24lbs, it was nowhere near the 24lbs that I strung in Malaysia (the strings can easily be moved up and down if you get what I mean). So in Australia, I have to string the racquet at least 27 lbs in order to get into the desired tension.

Has anyone came across with something like this?

2. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

Maybe in Australia the stringer pre-weaves the racquet before stringing

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Could also be top-down vs bottom-up.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    different stringer, different machine, different technique.

different results.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Good point - it's possible to get "different" tensions from two stringers who live in the same street, never mind different countries:).

6. eatan2

eatan2 Regular Member

Well .. it just seems weird to have such a significant different between stringers from different countries. Especially when the racquet says max tension is 25lbs, when I told the stringer in Australia that I want to string at 28 lbs, he was like "are you sure? @.@ and gave me the shocking look. He even said the racquet might break lol". But when he strung it at 28 lbs, it is still a little bit loose compare to my other racquet strung in Malaysia @ 25 lbs.

Or maybe its just the different in techniques, who knows..

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You know, sometimes stringers lie to you, in an attempt to protect you from yourself. This can be quite annoying.

I knew a 12 year old Oxfordshire county junior who boasted about playing at 27 lbs -- because as we all know, playing at pro tensions makes you pro. :rolleyes: I pinged his racket strings, which told me he was actually playing at 22 lbs maximum (probably 21).

The stringer had lied to him. In this case, it was probably the right thing to do.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

This is possibly dangerous - the next stringer he goes to might actually give him 27...

9. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Yup!

When this happens, I warn the player. If they still want that tension, I do it to prove my point.

They'll usually come back with broken strings within a few days. If they don't, they come back with shoulder pain.

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That's true.

I think the most responsible thing might have been to say, "No, you're still a kid and that tension will hurt you. I'll need a letter from your coach before I go above 23."

Not necessarily good for business, but responsible.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

It's much the easiest way to prove the point. I just hope you can refrain from a very easy "told you!".

12. bsmith

bsmith Regular Member

Engineering software developer www.elitesoft.com
    eatan2, have you just tried one stringer in Australia? Before guessing the issues you are encountering might be from country differences, it would be worthwhile to see if you experienced similar results from yet another Australia stringer. From one stringer to another, there can be large calibration differences on poundage, especially with the ones using crank machines.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

As everyone has said already, even the same stringer can vary on the same day.

If you want to be sure, you have to check stringbed frequency. There's a few threads on it.

14. Matsumo

Matsumo Regular Member

Sales Manager
    You could ask him :

-What machine
    -which string
    -does he ad tension for tie offs and crosses
    -does he pull multiple strings at once(if he pulls 3 at once its not good, it is sad but it happens even at Yonex Dutch open)

When you know this you could explain the difference. Or his fixed clamps are slipping... then never return:D

I hope you will find a answer

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as mentioned, depending on the stringer and stringing machine involved, you can have very different results.

before i got my own machine, i went to a local gym, asked for 24lbs, and i swear it was at most 18lbs when i got it back. that's when i decided it was not worth the gamble everytime with kids and mom at the local gyms doing my stringing.

so now i string my own and i can guarantee that i have the same tension everytime. and while i cannot tell u my tension is the absolute golden reference, it is closer and more consistent than going elsewhere.

16. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

So does pre-weaving cause lower than desired tension or just more string movement?

17. tcliang

tcliang Regular Member

University Professor
    Pre-weaving is not the main cause of lower desired tension. The most often cause of lower desired tension is stringing with a non-constant pull machine, crank and without multiple pull of a string, will result lower the setting tension by 3 or 4 Lbs.
    Progressive stringing of main string will reduce string movement. If we can control the tension so that tensions of center mains are higher than the rest mains, the string movement could be minimal or even eliminated. To those who don't have a electronic stringing machine, they are hardly to make progress stringing, just set the tension of central main higher about 1 lb will also result a relatively less movement of main strings.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    [MENTION=106607]tcliang[/MENTION], at what rate do you do progressive/proportional stringing? do you constantly decrease the tension as you move from center mains or is there a particular curve that you follow?

19. tcliang

tcliang Regular Member

University Professor
    Kwun,

It depends on the shape of racket frame, for ISO shape frame, I do the following,
    the 1st to 4th main I keep the tension user asked.
    the 5th and the 6th, I reduce tension progressively by 0.2 lb, that is, if the original main is set to 27.2, the 5th should be 27.0 and the 6th should be 26.8.
    the 7th to the 9th I progressively reduce by 0.3 lb,
    the 10th goes 0.4 and the 11th goes 0.5. (I employ Gosen professional pattern)
    However, another guy in Taiwan like to do 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 respectively.

By the way, perhaps I can share my experience to you, the following link is my article about badminton stringing, but in traditional Chinese, I don't have time to translate them in English. It is very much appreciate if you can help.

ftp://mail.im.tku.edu.tw/Prof_Liang/Stringing/Stringing_as_you_wish.pdf

also,

ftp://mail.im.tku.edu.tw/Prof_Liang/Stringing/stringing_by_yourself.pdf

Thanks in advance,

20. tcliang

tcliang Regular Member

University Professor
    To Kwum,

It depends on the shape of racket frame. For ISO shape frame, I do the following,

suppose user ask for 27lb,

I like to set tension to 27.2 (I found 2086 seems to repull when the tension less than the setting by 0.3), then,
    For the 1st to 4th main, I keep the original tension.
    For the 5th and 6th, I reduce tensions progressively by 0.2 lb, that is, the 5th main should be 27.0 lb and the 6th should be 26.8 lb.
    For the 7th to the 9th main, I reduce tension progressively by 0.3 lb.
    The 10th I reduce by another 0.4 lb, and progressively the 11th by 0.5 lb.
    (I employ the Gosen Professional Stringing Patern with a little modification)
    The reason is when I string a rocket without progressive tension setting, I found that the actual tension of the last main (11th) always higher than center main by around 2 lbs. However, it also depends on string used, different strings may be variate. Another guy in Taiwan like progressively reduce the tensions by 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.4 respectively.