Malaysia's badminton future looks bleak?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by wl2172, Nov 15, 2003.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

A little bit worried about Malaysia's future as a badminton nation. Where countries like China, Indonesia, Denmark, South Korea have up and coming stars, Malaysia seems to still be banking on the veterans too much to "produce the goods". Hafiz, Chong Wei and Lee TS are currently not a threat to the top players, they are not the same level as Choong Hann when it comes to international performance. As for men's doubles, Malaysia have no notable pair that can succeed Choong/Lee and Chan/Chew - well maybe not yet for Chan as he is only 23.

However, I would really like to give credit to these veterans as they have proven that they are still among the best, especially when a lot of people have lost hope in them. It takes great courage and determination to get back to form again. I guess Peter Gade, Choong/Lee, Choong Hann all fall under this category.

2. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

In MS, more emphasis should be given to Lee CW, Yeoh KB and Kuan BH. These guys actually have proved that they can perform if given sufficient guidance, attention and opportunities. Lee CW did gave Xia XZ a tough time in the last 16 of China Open... and Yeoh KB stretch Chen Hong to the limit in Malaysian Open.

Forget about Hafiz Hashim, he's a spoilt brat!! :mad:
    I foresee he will remain in the squad for the next few years as a mere passenger. Same goes to Roslin.

Lee TS's career seems to be over, as his form is getting worst ever since Misbun took over the national squad.

In doubles, Yap KH should place more attention on Gan TC/Koo KK, as they performed quite well in recent tournaments despite losing in early rounds. It's also time to forget about Chang KW/Hong CH. These 2 players are no longer young.... actually same age as Choong/Lee. If they don't make it now at the age of 27-28, I don't see how they will make it in future.

Overall, the situation in MD is more alarming, as we have only Choong/Lee to depend upon now. Whether Chan CM will be able to launch a decent comeback next year, it's still remain to be seen!:eek:

BAM got to do something!!!

3. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

As For Chan CM... i think it will be a bit difficult...

well... as you know... after surgery it will never be the same again.... your muscle won't give 100%...

4. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I think we cannot really blame Misbun for Lee TS failure, he has to realise himself. Look at Choong Hann, I think he has flourished under Misbun.
    Personally, I think Misbun is a fair coach. As long as you are committed and willing to work hard, he will help you no matter what.

5. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    Yeah i totally and 100% agree with u. In MS now they are depending on Wong Choong Hann pretty much to win everything in that category, they should (like u said) focus on the youngsters. Lee CW has great potential to go far and capture some titles in the future, not to mention Yeoh and Kuan too. WCH is getting older (though i hate to say it!!) and he will soon run out of steam and inevitably he will retire. They can't depend on him alone to capture all the major titles! I hope that in the future Malaysia will have other MS players to be feared besides WCH!

Chan CM has been plagued by injuries like nobody's business and I hope that he will recover soon so he and Chew can get back on the right road. Choong/Lee have done a good job in their comeback but they are veterans and Malaysia needs more MD players to bank on!

6. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    True true..:eek:

Lee has to buck up and stop taking things too lightly sometimes!! :mad: But hopefully he will realise himself in the future.

In my opinion, i agree with you on Misbun, he will train anybody as long as they are hardworking, committed and a person who doesnt slack off half-way. I guess Choong Hann was willing , determined and committed so Misbun took him under his wing..which is good cos look at him now! :D

7. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Yup, Lee CW has great potential. But he lacks the attacking flair that you find in Choong Hann, Peter Gade and all the top Chinese players. Lets face it, modern badminton is a lot to do about attack, speed and power, without these 3 elements, you cannot be among the top, gone are the days of stroke play and long rallying.

Lee Chong Wei must do more sand running to build up his leg muscles, more weight training to increase back, stomach, shoulder and chest muscles. Believe it or not, these muscle groups are the bread and butter for attacking players. Sony Dwi Kuncoro and Lin Dan's physique are good examples. They have it where it matters most.

8. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    Exactly, I agree. Even Misbun said that Lee CW should do more physical and weight training.

Hmmm..not to mention good stamina as well..

9. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Wong CH was already a world beater before Misbun came into picture! Remember? He won China Open last year when Misbun was still with Nusa.

Ok, I can't comment further on Lee TS.

10. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    Yeah thats true, But Wong CH has certainly improved and further flourished into a better badminton player when Misbun took over.

11. chen zi

chen zi Regular Member

student
    i agree what you had said with choong hann and others,but what you said at hafiz and roslin,i think they also quite good,remember that hafiz get the important mark at the piala thomas in the semi-final with China last years,this only i can said about it(however i don't like he ),so he got some use ......haha.roslin is quite ok.
    lee cw & yeoh kb hopefully will taking choong hann place at the furture.choong/lee still best inMalaysia md,but others.....

12. libra

libra Regular Member

I think what BAM are doing wrong is that when sending players oversea they expect then to PROVE THEMSELVES instead of GAIN EXPERIENCE. the difference mentality is the stumbling block to the progress of potential youngsters. How often do we read in the media misbun saying that players "will not compete overseas unless they show dedication in training... "

time to wake up misbun... if thats the only policy you carry out next year the only players who'll get to play in any tournament outside of malaysia will be Wong CH and Chong TF/Lee WW!!!

BAM needs to bleed the youngsters and give them a chance before condeming them to be little known back-up players for the rest of their careers (ramesh nathan, allan tai, k yogendren and alvin chew come to mind).

lastly you can't fault a player who plays badly... i'm sure no player intentionally loses a match (except maybe if you play under the flag of general Li :D) so before coming down hard on say Chew CE when he gets trashed 15-2 by the danes give them a chance to improve... no matter how well/badly they perform in a big meet (olympics/WC) they deserve our applause for trying their best because that is all they can do.

hopefully i didn't offend anyone with this post, i haven't posted in a long time and this is all my own humble opinion. feel free to comment though, discussions are always welcome :)