Role of the non-racket arm during jump smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by benn08, Apr 16, 2013.

1. benn08

benn08 Regular Member

What exactly is the role of the non-racket arm during the smash/jump smash? What I've is is people putting their arm towards the bird and bringing it down, while getting their racket arm to smash their bird. Does this provide some sort of rotation? One goes up the other goes down?
    Thanks if someone can tell me what it does.

2. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    before smashing - it is for counter balance.
    while smashing, pull the non-racket arm in, again it counteract some of the (backward) reaction force from smashing. It also give you the crunch - tighten your abdominal muscles.
    remember newton's law - for every action/force, there is an opposite and equal action/force. If your smashing arm is moving forward, then your body is "pulled" backward. Your leg's pushing off provided most of the forward momentum. just my 2 cents.

3. benn08

benn08 Regular Member

thanks for the fast reply, the way you explained it makes sense.
    i have another question maybe for you, or others reading this thread.
    How do i give my smash that bang? I've asked an experienced player, and he said its all about body rotation. How should I achieve that?

4. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    have ur styles did correctly..thats the first and the most basic thing..you will have to figure out the rest urself then....

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

bringing your arm inwards reduces your Radius of Gyration allowing you to rotate faster - think of ice skater spinning with arms out. When they bring their arms in they will spin faster with no extra effort!

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
  7. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Use your arm to gain upward momentum, no use just jumping with your legs if your arms are just flopping by the side.

8. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    The non-racket arm is to provide more balance (upper body/shoulders) in the upward and downward momentum created by the over head smash/clear *especially using a scissor jump*. and bringing in the arm to the chest (during the downward/forward stroke), could control the degree of the shoulder rotation, as a result, refine this technique will definitely improve the accuracy, (balance+speed) power, and the angle of the powerful shot.
    (the quality of a crosscourt smash scissor jump will prove whether you have master it or not)

cheers

9. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar0x-jC7gl4

Fu Haifeng can show us a good example of the role of the non-racket arm during a jump smash.
    espcially @ 2:01, it shows the degree of the should rotation, a straight and cross jump smash

@ 1:52, shows that he drops his NR arm during the smash. (because he knew this smash will finish off the rally, so he sacrificed some balance for power)

cheers