User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sonia Cheah

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pajrul View Post
    I think she is starting her law studies in the footsteps of her sister, Lydia. Lydia too was going places in the beginning..but as soon as her studies get more intense... Her badminton suffered... Lets hope Sonia does better. Badminton wise
    Speaking of law, Boonsak Ponsana is also studying law.

But given only 24hrs in a day, one can only do well in one field.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

However, there are precedents in Malaysia for a person with a background in law to do well in badminton... administration... kind-of...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Speaking of law, Boonsak Ponsana is also studying law.

But given only 24hrs in a day, one can only do well in one field.
    There are players who were able to PLAY on more than one field and SUCCEED. It is difficult thing to do that's why only few can pull it off.
    Anil Kumble - Cricketer - Holds Mechanical Engineering degree
    Valentino Rossi - MotoGP Champion - A Medical Doctor

When it comes to Badminton, its quite difficult to emulate the above two considering the demands of this sport as other sports requires only few aspects of their game need to be sharper where as Badminton requires all aspects need to top notch.

Boonsak might not be the greatest but no lesser than the above two. He too was one of the best and still is. Not quite sure about Sonia though.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let say if she successfully finish the degree.
    she play until 24 or 25 and feel that she couldnt make it,she retired and try to find a office work.
    at this age,she dont have any working experience,a spm graduated office boy who work since 18 will have 7 years of working experience. does degree give her any advantage?no
    social look at your ability and experience,not a cert.
    in chinese,we call it 两头不到岸

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

she could sue for discrimination...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    she could sue for discrimination...
    the umemployment rate of degree/diploma student isnt low in malaysia.
    well,let time to prove who is correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    the umemployment rate of degree/diploma student isnt low in malaysia.
    well,let time to prove who is correct.
    I agree with you... just look at our past players or those who struggle for years in the international arena. Once they quit badminton, very likely they will stuck with being a coach or other badminton related work. You may say that this is their passion but I think this is the only thing they are good at. Unless you are like DLCW, who gain some good network because of his status, otherwise...

I mean, just look at their english... Chinese cant speak proper english. How do you expect them to work competitively with those having a proper education. Not that I discriminate them for not being able to speak proper english but that is the truth. If we are just talking about Sonia here, then maybe she has advantages here since she can speak good english. IMHO...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she play until 24 or 25 and feel that she couldnt make it,she retired and try to find a office work.
    at this age,she dont have any working experience,a spm graduated office boy who work since 18 will have 7 years of working experience. does degree give her any advantage?no
    but you can not use your experience as an office boy to apply for a, let say, accounting position for example....

even me, i have almost 4 years experience in building/energy consultant, but when i apply for management consulting position, the company rate me as an analyst, just like a fresh graduate...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't think that is reflective. There are other M'sian players who do degrees. Joanne Quay (works in BWF), I think two former players (forgot their names) are studying medicine, An Li Peng studied at University of Manchester, Ng sisters at Loughborough University. Soo Beng Kiang worked in banking, I believe. Anita Raj Kaur and Kenn Lin have studied for degrees.

I know of one ex-HK player who did a degree part time whilst on the tour, graduated, now doing a part time Masters degree and fitting in some coaching and working full time as well! Nothing but admiration and respect for that sort of character.

The first job is the toughest - get through that, prove yourself to do a good job and then you can move on to the next step.

I would say the majority of players would go into coaching because it is the thing they know the best. However, doing a degree is definitely an option if the person wants it enough.

What if the english is poor? Let's see, my friend just told me about his wife, chinese educated malaysian, University in Malaysia so mainly speak Bahasa and Mandarin chinese. Of course, the english is behind. She is now reporting directly to regional CEO of an international insurance company. But she works very hard to do her job well.
    Last edited by Cheung; 05-07-2013 at 04:44 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davlee View Post
    I agree with you... just look at our past players or those who struggle for years in the international arena. Once they quit badminton, very likely they will stuck with being a coach or other badminton related work. You may say that this is their passion but I think this is the only thing they are good at. Unless you are like DLCW, who gain some good network because of his status, otherwise...

I mean, just look at their english... Chinese cant speak proper english. How do you expect them to work competitively with those having a proper education. Not that I discriminate them for not being able to speak proper english but that is the truth. If we are just talking about Sonia here, then maybe she has advantages here since she can speak good english. IMHO...
    she is good in study,but without practical experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fathonezic View Post
    but you can not use your experience as an office boy to apply for a, let say, accounting position for example....

even me, i have almost 4 years experience in building/energy consultant, but when i apply for management consulting position, the company rate me as an analyst, just like a fresh graduate...
    not sure about other country
    but in malaysia,there is plenty of reason why the unemployment rate is high(degree or diploma)
    if 23 years old fresh graduate cant find a job because they dont have working experience
    will company hire sonia at the age of 25(random guess) with no working experience despite having a degree?
    of course it is different story if she were to be self-employed
    ------------------------
    hope this discussion wont distract bcer from her badminton career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post

What if the english is poor? Let's see, my friend just told me about his wife, chinese educated malaysian, University in Malaysia so mainly speak Bahasa and Mandarin chinese. Of course, the english is behind. She is now reporting directly to regional CEO of an international insurance company. But she works very hard to do her job well.
    Do you know that poor command in english is one the top reasons why many graduates are not landing jobs? It is also one of the top criteria what companies are looking for in fresh graduates...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that is reflective. There are other M'sian players who do degrees. Joanne Quay (works in BWF), I think two former players (forgot their names) are studying medicine, Ang Li Peng studied at University of Manchester, Ng sisters at Loughborough University. Soo Beng Kiang worked in banking, I believe. Anita Raj Kaur and Kenn Lin have studied for degrees.

I know of one ex-HK player who did a degree part time whilst on the tour, graduated, now doing a part time Masters degree and fitting in some coaching and working full time as well! Nothing but admiration and respect for that sort of character.

The first job is the toughest - get through that, prove yourself to do a good job and then you can move on to the next step.

I would say the majority of players would go into coaching because it is the thing they know the best. However, doing a degree is definitely an option if the person wants it enough.

i partly agreed.
    but most of the situation is they quit badminton to study-joanne quay,lim ps,lim kenn,anita kuar in ur example.
    only a few who study and playing at the same time.

this is chicken and egg question
    not doing well so study or study at the same time so wont doing well?
    i pick study at the same time so wont doing well.
    if they might not reach let say top 10 by full concentration,will they do better after they start study?
    u seek an escape route before a war start(thus not fully prepared),will u try/did your best in the war?
    lim kenn or anita kuar did the wiser choice to me. so they only playing club/league or some ic now.
    just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Cheung; 05-07-2013 at 04:45 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Do you know that poor command in english is one the top reasons why many graduates are not landing jobs? It is also one of the top criteria what companies are looking for in fresh graduates...
    Graduates from which Universities?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The point here is not from which universities but poor command in English...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

graduated from any university in malaysia will face same problem unless they are good at the very beginning
    that's why the rate of unemployment is high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

graduated from any university in malaysia will face same problem unless they are good at the very beginning
    that's why the rate of unemployment is high.
    Thanks to Msian education system...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The point here is not from which universities but poor command in English...
    So you disagree with limsy

Quote Originally Posted by limsy
    not sure about other country
    but in malaysia,there is plenty of reason why the unemployment rate is high(degree or diploma)
    if 23 years old fresh graduate cant find a job because they dont have working experience
    will company hire sonia at the age of 25(random guess) with no working experience despite having a degree?
    of course it is different story if she were to be self-employed
    The answer is yes because she has good reason for graduating at 25 rather than 23. And if a potential job applicant shows decent communication skills, then why shouldn't they get a job. No point having an extremely clever applicant that cannot communicate with the interviewers. If you can get a clever person with good communication skills in one package, then even better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast