User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sonia Cheah

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching her matches at the Axiata Cup and if she continues to improve, she will be the next no.1 WS for MAS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want the other girls to rise up as well, not just Sonia... Wong Tat Meng is on the right track here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No doubt, Wong Tat Meng is a good coach. Saw how Sonia played in her few matches. Sonia has good potential compared with Lydia and Jing Yi. If Sonia can increase her physical strength, agility, consistentcy and thinking side of her game, she shall be one of the world top player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Errr... the last thing one should do is publish her handphone number here. It's intrusion of privacy
    I only mentioned about updating her profile, no promise about showing her handphone no here..Of course I keep the good stuff to myself... to cut down...Ahem...unwanted competition .

Opps...did something just slip from my mouth? Forget about what I just said!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She's looking good and also good looking, if you know what I mean~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lcleing View Post
    That's hardly the same thing. Most Westerners complimented their sport career with education (sport physcology, sport science etc). It's very clear in their mind that sport is the thing they wanna excel at. For example Tine was studying nutrition so she knows what food to take to maintain her performance on court. Asians on the other hand take sport as a part time job, something they can do with or without. Something good to have but if they failed, they will become professional workers. So tell me how does a law degree help your badminton career?
    I take a different view on this. Coming to law degree specifically, I think even badminton associations needs lawyers. Don't you think a former player cum lawyer would fit that role well provided she proves to be a good lawyer too. By being a player and a lawyer she will possess a good sports administrator acumen. Its good to have an college degree that augments a sportsperson's career like Tine's education in nutrition. But in today's world I think its up to an individual how he/she puts their education to good use. Although I am using all the big words here but its all about realizing one's potential. I see good potential in her but only time will tell whether she will succeed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by lcleing View Post
    Sure we would like to encourage her if her mind is solely about badminton. But, if she is one of the many Malaysian badminton players I seen in the past, taking sport as a alternative career then don't you think is better for her to pursue the law profession entirely so that she won't waste her time and giving other ambitious player a chance to get selected to the national team?

We are just discussing (on a general note, not targeting her particularly) how one can juggle between sport and education anyway. I hope Sonia won't take this personally. Of course, if she feels she can succeed by juggling between studies and badminton, feel free to prove me wrong, I will be more than happy to eat humble pie if she becomes the next pillar of WS in Malaysia.
    Its debatable that some other player is being denied a chance to get in to the national team because of her. Selectors will select Sonia not because she is working really hard to become a lawyer and a player, but because she is a better player. You are not completely wrong but I think its not her fault if she gets selected or if she is better than someone else. I am not trying to prove you wrong but its just my personal opinion and I completely understand where you are coming from. My point is what else can BAM do if there is no other better player currently available other than Sonia.
    Last edited by rahuldarga; 05-03-2013 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rahuldarga View Post
    I take a different view on this. Coming to law degree specifically, I think even badminton associations needs lawyers. Don't you think a former player cum lawyer would fit that role well provided she proves to be a good lawyer too. By being a player and a lawyer she will possess a good sports administrator acumen. Its good to have an college degree that augments a sportsperson's career like Tine's education in nutrition. But in today's world I think its up to an individual how he/she puts their education to good use. Although I am using all the big words here but its all about realizing one's potential. I see good potential in her but only time will tell whether she will succeed or not.

Its debatable that some other player is being denied a chance to get in to the national team because of her. Selectors will select Sonia not because she is working really hard to become a lawyer and a player, but because she is a better player. You are not completely wrong but I think its not her fault if she gets selected or if she is better than someone else. I am not trying to prove you wrong but its just my personal opinion and I completely understand where you are coming from. My point is what else can BAM do if there is no other better player currently available other than Sonia.
    lol!
    ng chin cai is lawyer and they are on the same ship
    bam dont need lawyer sonia cheah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But she has only 2 A in SPM..considered good?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaMun View Post
    Not 4 A's?

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...87#post1649287

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaMun View Post
    SPM is just a starting point for students venturing into University. It is just an indication on how well you performed in academic at that particular point in your life. It's not something that seal your destiny on whether you will be a successful person in your future career.

If someone always persevere no matter the obstacle, he/she will succeed (this include being a successful badminton player). If one gets complacent or just couldn't be bothered anymore, he/she is bound to failure. It's the attitude that determines one's success in the long run, not anything else like talent or luck factor.

I know I am still not answering your question but a mere certificate can't tell you how good a person is. But her attitude and commitment level might tell you whether she will be good in the future.
    Last edited by lcleing; 05-08-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rahuldarga View Post

I agree with what you said. A law degree might (just maybe) sharpen her thinking and provide another perspective/dimension to her game as she's exposed to other field compared to the other badminton players. That's provided that she trains as hard as other full time players if not harder.

I admit that my view point maybe biased as I have seen many top junior players(who incidentally are also intelligent students) who eventually got complacent and slacked in their training. This is because they know that is easier to make a living (at least in Malaysia) with a degree than with a sport career. And slowly they left the court even though they have the age advantage, the facility and everything they need to be a top badminton player. To me this is really a waste of investment (for the country and sport association) and if that particular someone is not interested enough to start with, why not give the other individuals who are willing to put in the hard work a chance? Even though they might still be the best at that time, but they won't be able to go far if they doesn't love/enjoy what they do. I will stress again that it is the attitude that will be the deciding factor for a badminton player's career.

P/S: If you asked my honest opinion, I don't think BAM needs another lawyer....Just look at BAM's administration members and you just might find one fellow(already a qualified lawyer) who is already sitting there managing the association.
    Last edited by lcleing; 05-08-2013 at 08:07 AM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Icleing - don't say it's lack of interest all the time. People drift into alternate careers all the time. Even investment bankers changing career in their mid 40's. Perhaps it's more constructive to look at any novel incentives that might keep people in the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play 4 times a week. all 4 diff groups. Monday - not many wants to play with or alongside me.
    Wednesday - mostly wants to play with me
    Thursday - more than mostly wants to play with me
    Saturday - some wants to play with me

I don't know what level I am. but I know I am dead serious in every game. trying to improve. sometimes the body and mind is just too stubborn. coz I'm old already

Enjoy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

latest news:

Sonia Cheah is out of the World Champrionship GuangZhou as she had suffer heavy injury and thus makes her to take 6 months healing... so sad...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Published: Wednesday July 17, 2013 MYT 9:48:00 PM
    Updated: Wednesday July 17, 2013 MYT 9:53:48 PM
    Top singles shuttler undergoes op and will be out for six months

By KNG ZHENG GUAN

A big stunner: Sonia Cheah will be out for at least six months due to a torn Achilles tendon.

PETALING JAYA: Top women’s singles shuttler Sonia Cheah has undergone surgery for a torn Achilles tendon and will be out for at least six months.

The 19-year-old, who suffered the injury during training on Tuesday, sought treatment at the National Sports Institute (NSI) on Tuesday night before undergoing surgery yesterday morning.

It’s a sad end to the world No. 35, who has put in some strong performances this year and was expected to lead the women’s singles charge in the World Championships in Guangzhou, China, from Aug 5-11.

National women’s singles coach Wong Tat Meng was stunned by the severity of Sonia’s injury.

“The NSI confirmed that she tore her Achilles tendon and decided that she needed an operation,” said Tat Meng.

“That’ll put her out for at least three months before she’ll be able to do light training. My best guess is that she’ll only make a proper comeback next January ... probably for the Malaysian Open.

“It’s really quite unfortunate because she has really upped her level in training these past few weeks. Since Juliane Schenk (German world No. 4) joined us as sparring partner, Sonia has also shown remarkable improvement and was ready for the world meet.

“But accidents like these happen ... there’s nothing we can do about it. It’s important that she remain mentally strong and stay focused on recovering.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badm...s-stunner.aspx

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very unfortunate. I hope she heals fully and comes back stronger in time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh no. .. i remember another promising female Malaysian player on the way up.. until she was struck with injury .. never recovered ... and subsequently retired... i hope this is not the case here
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Very unfortunate. I hope she heals fully and comes back stronger in time...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast