China Open Final on RTM1??

Discussion in 'Hong Kong / Chinese Taipei / China Open 2003' started by rejang, Nov 15, 2003.

1. rejang

rejang Regular Member

Does anyone know if RTM1 is showing this live today since M'sia players are in the final of both men's events??

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Sorry dude, I checked the listings on the paper - no telecasts.

I had been doing much rubbishing on the programming of tv on RTM of late and this is not the exception. Their history of not putting on the crowd pullers, instead broadcasting some really crappy shows are to be admired by other mediocre TV stations.

Malaysians are in both MD and MS finals and they didn't bother to even show highlights of the thing, let alone live telecasts. Instead, in slots of these superb sports events, they put in some of the shows which I think many don't even bother to watch, "Riang Ria Remaja" and all that.

Sure, their responses will likely end with this :

"We are sorry as the telecasts need money and we don't have any sponsors to help cushion the cash. It is most unfortunate that most unfortunate that a majority of Malaysians won't be able to watch the live telecasts. Why don't you suscribe to Astro and eatch from EPSN or SuperSports?"

Well, there's a problem with this 'response' as not everybody can afford to have Astro, regardless of whether the installation fee is RM 299 or something. The monthly fee can seriously dig into the pocket and savings and what more? I am so very inclined to say that the fat cats (you know who you are) may have shares in Astro to help push it towards faces of consumers.

Come on, give us a break! The government spoke about instilling patrotism in young chargers of the country through various programmes and education but how could they overlook sports? More so an event where Malaysians are fighting for honour away from the country. What more can instill patriotism? Remember 1992 when Malaysia played against Indonesia in the Thomas Cup Finals? The whole country was behind the men and you can get no better sense of national pride than that.

Sponsorship problems? Come on, you can do better than that. I don't believe that you cannot find a respectable sponsorship for this reason, be it badminton, football or anything.

Seems like their mission to being better programming to RTM (the media corps) seemed to be hitting a wall somewhere. Either the people who makes the policy are simply 'policy makers' not a people's people or just there to get rich while they can.

Take for instance the Malaysian Open, we had players who made it to the Finals, LCW vs Chen Hong and guess what, news bulletins in the middle of the match. Geez!

And now, the Malaysian team in MD and MS Finals.

RTM people, whoever you are, you know that we don't like your style of programming and there are a lot of angry people out there. You have been warned. Stop airing crap and start to evolve.

Phew! :)
    This may get me into hot water but I am just telling the truth. I'm sure a lot non-Astro owners out there who are badminton afficionados would agree that something is wrong in the brains of the programme managers of RTM.

3. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

wilfredlgf, I surely share the same view as you!
    To me, RTM is a cheap broadcasting station. If the government are not backing them, they would have closed shop long ago!!

Perhaps things would have been different if the one playing today is either Hafiz or Roslin!:mad:

4. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Erm... eh.. let's use some restrain about that one. I, for one, do not think that was necessary. :)

I wanted to write a personal protest letter to RTM but don't seem to be able to find any email addresses. Why don't we do a petition here, (email addresses), then write one big email to voice our concerns?

Anyone have the address to the complaint desk of RTM? I can't find any.

#4 wilfredlgf, Nov 16, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2003
  5. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Don't waste your time! They will not bother!!:mad:

6. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Yoda-style as Luke remarked on how he can't believe his eyes when he saw Yoda lifting his X-Wing off the swamp waters by sheer Force alone :

"That is why you fail..."

7. chen zi

chen zi Regular Member

student
    yes,this really true,but i don't want to said more about this .this such thing may have some issues .........

8. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    Agreed..oh and did u also notice that in the malay mail today theres a super small article on Wong CH and Choong/Lee making it into the final? Not to mention the Star newspaper too...except that their article about them was longer and had a pic or two..

This really pisses me off sometimes man..

9. chen zi

chen zi Regular Member

student
    ok,i also agree that today newspaper are like that,but have one malay newspaper had choong hann and lee/choong pic .

10. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    Yeah but badminton still isnt really a big deal around here...the only time when Wong's pic appeared everywhere was during the aftermath of the World Championships. That was when there was a sudden hype about badminton....theres none now..

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yes people i do agree with you guys. Its really sick that our badminton players didn't get as much coverage as other sports in Msia. More soccer photos than badminton.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Of course! Sorry to point out the obvious but the world championships has bigger prestige than the China Open.

13. Hamz

Hamz Regular Member

Logistics
    Wilfred,

I think protest letters and complaints to RTM will not change anything. What about writting an open letter (published by NST or malaymail or Star) to the president of BAM. I think some top brass in BAM are not doing their job to promote this sport to the Malaysian public thru the media i.e TV.
    Talk about lame excuses of not getting sponsors...hah, chicken feed !!!!
    Same lame excuse was offered of why BAM could not have live web scoring in the last Malaysian Open in Sabah.

Let start by drafting the open letter (a new thread) in this forum....

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Also obvious is that Choong and Lee's success came at the tail end

when all the elite were obviously worn-out.

15. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I don't think this comment is fair on Choong/Lee for making such a fantastic comeback. I think it is because they have regained their form, not because everine out there is tired.

16. SJ_Tan

SJ_Tan Regular Member

Student
    Yes i do know that the world championships is prestigious. It is just that we were discussing about how our country should give more recognition to badminton and badminton players as it is a very popular sport in Malaysia as well...besides soccer and hockey..etc.

17. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Re: -

You are not right at all. Choong/Lee played in back-to-back SEA circuit plus the current HK-Taiwan-China Opens!!

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

HK Open repeat

Astro Supersports will repeat HK open on 19/11/03

from 5.30 pm to 10.30 pm.

19. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Re: HK Open repeat

The point of this whole thread is about the telecasts on RTM. If we have Astro, this thread would not have existed... :)

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    wilfred, perhaps you'll be better off getting Astro. Then you'll be able to enjoy your favourite (deliberate use of the singular) badminton player more often;)

No amount of dreaming will get more badminton on RTM unless, WC, TC, Olympics withe M'sian interest. (well not true cos in the past RTM used to show AE without M'sians playing)