Singles Partner in Stockport Area

Discussion in 'UK' started by steve18, Apr 17, 2013.

1. steve18

steve18 Regular Member

Financial Trader
    Hi
    I’m looking for someone in the Stockportarea to play badminton with once or twice a week.
    Evenings or daytime.
    I’m a fairly competent player but not quite good enough to playat club level.
    Feathers or plastic OK for me.
    Please get in touch if you’re interested in a game.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. oatey

oatey Regular Member

Retail Manager
    Hiya Steve

I'm in Hazel Grove, where abouts is good for you to play? Is Disley too far as thats the club I play at (free court time for members whenever)

Cheers,

Owen

3. steve18

steve18 Regular Member

Financial Trader
    Hi Owen. Thanks for your reply. I’m a little bit further awayfrom Disley (Adwood/Cheadle Hulme area), but it’s still only a short drive andthe terms of membership sound interesting, as I’ve got quite a lot of freetime. Ideally looking to play in the daytime (any time between 9.30am and4.00pm) but can also manage evenings if that’s not convenient. Would I need to organisemembership by myself and then contact you for a game, or could I meet you there- or if you prefer, pick you up somewhere in Hazel Grove on the way? All the best Steve

4. oatey

oatey Regular Member

Retail Manager
    Ah ok, not that far from me then.

I work shifts, so can make a combination of daytimes/evenings. There's actually a chap who joined about 2 months ago who I've played singles with a few times, and he's always available in the mornings up until 11am, so could play with him if I wasn't available..

Membership wise - it's £110/year from September, or pro-rata upto then. Like I said once you've paid you can play anytime you wish with other members whenever the court's free. Visitors can play 6 times a year for £5 a session.

There's club nights on as well 2 times a week and teams in manchester + stockport leagues... But that's all doubles..

Alternatively don't mind booking a court sometime locally, just being a member there seems a waste to then book another court somewhere else...

Cheers

Owen

5. steve18

steve18 Regular Member

Financial Trader
    Thanks for the information, Owen I’ve had a look at the website.I’ll drive down there on Monday or Tuesday, have a chat with them aboutmembership and most likely join up (assuming that I’m accepted). Will get backto you later in the week with an update. As you suggested, there’sprobably not much point paying to play somewhere else when it’s free to play atDisley once you’ve signed up. Regards Steve

6. oatey

oatey Regular Member

Retail Manager
    Steve,

I'll save you the wasted trip - there's not usually anyone there during the days - best bet is to come to a club night - either Monday (although not this Mon as it's the AGM) or Friday

If you want to talk to someone about joining, best bet is to ring Vicki (Section Representative) on 01663 762 761 or David Withington (Club Treasurer) on 0161 439 3073

Hope that helps,

Owen

7. steve18

steve18 Regular Member

Financial Trader
    OK thanks for that, Owen. I'll give you an update later in the week. Regards, Steve.

8. steve18

steve18 Regular Member

Financial Trader
    Hi Owen. Just letting you know I've decided to go along tomorrow night and check it out. Regards, Steve.

9. oatey

oatey Regular Member

Retail Manager
    Hiya mate, did you go yesterday? how did you get on?

Owen

10. steve18

steve18 Regular Member

Financial Trader
    Yes I went there on Friday night. It says 8pm on the website - I waited until about 8.20pm but nobody turned up for badminton. Not sure if it was cancelled because of the football presentations - there was a huge crowd upstairs in the bar and the car park was full. I spoke to a few of the football people but they knew nothing about badminton. At least I know exactly where it is now. I'll phone one of the two contacts you mentioned, some time in the week and take it from there. Regards, Steve.

11. oatey

oatey Regular Member

Retail Manager
    Oh :/ sorry about that - I did text one of the usual friday regulars who said she was going.. not sure why they didn't show, usually about 5-6 of them on a fri

Owen

12. steve18

steve18 Regular Member

Financial Trader
    Hi Owen. I'm not having much luck with this club up to now. I've phoned the two contacts you mentioned - 2 or 3 times each - and every time it either rings out continually or goes to voicemail. No point leaving a message, as I'm out more than I'm in at the moment and currently don't have a mobile phone that's working. I could try going down there again on Friday night, hoping that someone will turn up. Regards, Steve.

13. oatey

oatey Regular Member

Retail Manager
    Sorry about that Steve, I spoke to Toni about last Fri, she said she got there at 20 past, so must've just missed them..Yeah I think they're down again friday, I'll double check and let you know ok

Owen

14. oatey

oatey Regular Member

Retail Manager
    Spoke to Toni again, she said they'll be there again 8.20 onwards this friday

Best regards

Owen

15. steve18

steve18 Regular Member

Financial Trader
    Thanks Owen. I had a game on Friday night. Just about the right standard for me. Playing again Monday night. Spoke to Vicki about membership - I printed a form off the website and I'll take it with me on Monday. I want to play doubles for at least 2 or 3 weeks, to get back a little bit of form and fitness, before considering singles. Lots of aching bones right now, that haven't been used for a while!! Thanks for all your help, I'll keep in touch. Regards, Steve.

16. oatey

oatey Regular Member

Retail Manager
    Sounds good mate, normally I'd be there monday night, but going away tomorrow so won't be there for next 2 weeks.

Catch you soon anyways

Owen