Pro player's weekly training routine...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JustinG, Apr 17, 2013.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

I have my own "little" routine going on for badminton, running, and general fitness/health; however, I thought it would be interesting to hear from some Semi-pro, to pro player's on their weekly training routine. Perhaps we could all take something positive away from it to improve our own badminton game/training regime. Cheers, Justin ( I don't know why I cannot make paragraphs anymore more on this site...buggy?)

#1 JustinG, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    Met a former badminton Olympian back about 15 years ago. He said before he starts training every day, he runs 5-8km in the morning.
    That's the moment I stopped listening, knowing I'll never be an Olympian. LOL

3. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

I run 8k every other day, am I close? Aha. Well, I'm still young (kind of) to train hardcore :p

4. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Before my serious ankle injury caused me to take a break from badminton for a couple of years I had a solid schedule. Monday Wednesday Friday Were general social play at different clubs. Tuesday and Sunday was specific badminton training with my coach consisting of 2 hours each of these days running drills and technique training with a little bit of fitness. Any other day I had free I was at the gym doing light conditioning training for approximately 1-1.5 hours with a 10-20 minute run on the treadmill afterwards depending on how much gas I had left in the tank.

Now this year getting back into badminton I started out with a 5 day split for 4 months at the gym. Monday - Chest Tuesday - Back Wednesday Shoulders Thursday - Legs Friday - Arms. After 4 months I have dropped 10 kgs and reconditioned my body. Now I am splitting my schedule to incorporate more badminton and more fitness training in order to lose more weight and get back into physical form. (still along way to go)

Current schedule which has just been changed is - Monday Wednesday Social badminton play. Tuesday Private training with a few top players in my state. Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday lighter conditioning training at the gym with 15-30 minute runs after each session.

Hoopefully if this remains consistant I can keep intensifying my routine as the months go by and by the end of the year should be in good form to get back into solid Open grade competition and push for nationals in Australia.

5. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    I am most certainly not a pro, not even a bit close lol.
    But maybe I can give you some inspiration;
    I used to play 1 or 2 times a week for 2 hours. For 7 weeks now I have been playing badminton 3 times a week, tuesday/thursday/saturday for 2 hours each day. On monday/wednesday/friday I do half an hour of crosstraining and some pushup/situp/squats at home. Sunday is my rest day.
    Combined with eating healthier I have lost 9 kg's in 7 weeks and I am really starting to notice that I am faster and fitter on court! :)

6. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

Here's our daily badminton diet for my juniors...

3 hours on-court trainings - 5 x per week

1.5km jog - 1 x per week for 30mins

100m sprint - 1 x per week for 30 mins

Every Night - 10 to 15 mins of foot exercises, wrist exercises & shadow exercises

15 to 30 mins of Video Playback / Youtube / Tactical / Skill coaching - once or twice a week

As best as we can we will stay with the above formula except for school exams, extra classes etc.

Our journey here... www.juniorshuttlers.blogspot.com

7. letviss

letviss New Member

yeah,run 8k every other day, am I close? Aha. Well, I'm still young (kind of) to train hardcore,thanks[​IMG]

8. Steve the noob

What was the point in copying and pasting my reply o.o

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I dont understand.

It takes 30 mins to jog 1.5km? Or you jog for 30 mins?

It takes 30 minutes to sprint 100m? Or you sprint for 30 mins?

Or something complete different to what you wrote? :confused:

10. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

Apologies for the confusion. Yes the time allocated was 30 mins for jogging in which they do other stretching and physical exercises in between breaks.

Similarly for 30 mins we squeezed in 4 to 5 sprints of 100m with breaks in between.

:)

11. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
  12. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    From what I gather, I very much doubt that this is an uptodate way of training, even for serious U18 players.

- a pre-defined seasonal training plans
    - to build say jump, aerobic and anaerobic capacities
    - with very specific loads and magnitudes of training
    - and specific types of training

There exists a general algorithm (a plan of doing) in sports how to prep for, during and after competition.

Monotonic repetition, week after week, doesn't do the job.

Honestly - and 8k running doesn't do it either.

13. Steve the noob

8k running isn't supposed to make you better at badminton... It's supposed to condition your body for endurance. That's like saying figure skating will help you play hockey.

14. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    Yep, if you're on the track it's a good thing to do interval running, climb hills and so on. The mere distance (like 8k) is of lesser importance, what you actually need for badminton specific conditioning is training the short bursts of sprint interspersed in a regular jogging. Here is a recipe. jog 5-10 minute to get your body switch into lung-heart system mood. then sprint for a minute and recover by walking five minutes. or jog and then sprint 20 seconds, recover a minute, jog again, sprint again ... you'll see that this comes much closer to the movement on court. if you need a "load" you either have some weights in pockets, or you find a hill. in between check pulse. don't overshoot -- there is a healthy pulse and an unhealthy pulse, depending on your age.

Generally, a good book on fitness training can do about such education -- or find a coach.