Inconsistent Smash/Swing Speed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by KeirTuS, Apr 18, 2013.

1. KeirTuS

KeirTuS Regular Member

Hey guys,

My smash has always been inconsistent. However, when I do hit it properly, I can feel it. I find that I usually hit the top of the racket. I think it's because I swing a little too early, but I find that if I swing any later, I'll be contacting the bird lower. How can I improve my timing? Would it be beneficial to get a heavier racket? Also, does string tension play a big factor in generating power? I'm currently using 22lbs

On an experience background, my partner and I qualified today for OFSSA which is a provincial tournmanet here in Ontario. It's the top 2 teams from the Golden Horseshoe area for those Canadians out there :)

Thanks!

2. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

Just keep practicing, get someone to keep feeding you shuttles and just smash away, make sure you technique is correct as well. Heavier racket or tension change will not help with the timing its all about muscle memory, the timing will naturally come if you keep practicing, but your technique has to be correct.

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    that is correct, i see it as a timing issue, so you will just have to hit more smashes. switching rackets will only help if the racket itself can hit smashes without you holding it :)

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Do some deliberate practice on stick smashes. What i mean by this is prepare really early: get the racket up and nearly at contact well in advance, and then unleash with the forearm/wrist/fingers. Imagine playing a deceptive punch clear - you hold, hold, hold, then punch. Try this but with your smash.

This is a good exercise to improve your timing. When it comes to smashing full, you will hopefully be a little more relaxed, taking the shuttle nice and high, without worrying about the timing. Obviously you won't hit full smashes using the exercise above, it is just a drill to help impart all your force onto the shuttle correctly.

Good luck!

5. KeirTuS

KeirTuS Regular Member

I actually just started taking lessons and they taught us the stick technique you were talking about. Except it was just with clears :) but I have tried smashing with it on my own and it does help. I just need to work on getting the full smash out :D

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    One thing to remember is Clears Drops and Smashes all share the same process and technique. The difference is timing, point of contact and also slight difference in body movement. The only way to improve a shot is making sure firstly your technique is correct and once this is fine practice and practice and practice.

Learn to smash consistantly "without power" before you try with power. Then add more into it as you feel more confident and your consistancy remains high. Do different drills such as having someone feed you 20-30 shuttles to 1 side of the court. Smashing down the line aiming at a shuttle tube placed just past the service line.

This will all help but it is a lengthy step by step process.