Stretched hip

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by katy1997, Apr 19, 2013.

1. katy1997

katy1997 Regular Member

2 weeks ago I stretched my right hip at the place where the but ends and the hip starts.The first week I continued training,but not as intense as usual.It continued hurting so I went to a doctor and she told me to rest 1 week and do ice compress.
    Yesterday I tried to play and I saw that it had continued hurting.
    So my question is: has anyone else had an experience with a stretched muscle?And how long did it take it to heal?

2. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    I had that same problem about a few weeks ago. I had a discomfort running from my butt to the back of my knee, and a little to the calf as well. I even had problems sitting and standing up, nothing too major though but it is affected. It can be caused by weak hamstring and hip abductor muscles, or simply because of insufficient warm-ups/cooling down prior and after an intensive session.

I'm not sure what training you did but I got mine from badminton drills. It didn't heal in a week, probably 2 weeks though normally you'd be advised to rest for probably a month and even more depending on how serious you strained it.

Meanwhile just do what the doctor says, RICE. Personally I think you should only do stretching once it's starting to feel better, not immediately. Then move on to strengthening it with specific exercises such as lunges. Other overlooked things such as getting a good sleep goes a long way too.

3. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    1 week rest is not enough for a significant injury. It may have just felt discomfort but normally a strain or tear of the muscle even if its only minor needs a couple of weeks to repair and restrengthen. You can strengthen your butt/hips/legs in all aspects from lunges and squats. A good conditioned body is the best remedy for injury prevention.

4. katy1997

katy1997 Regular Member

It's already been almost 1 month....It isn't a serious injury so I don't understand why it takes so long to recover?

5. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    Have you been to your doctor/physio to discuss it further? If the discomfort still persists you may have done more significant damage than you think.

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

I hesitate to answer because diagnosing someone online is just ridiculous.

However if you have torn part of your hamstring, as I suspect you have, then it is not going to heal well by rest alone. It may not hurt all that much in ordinary daily activities, but a trained therapist can assess how stiff the healing muscle has become and show you stretches to do to gradually regain suppleness and thereby reduce the pain.

Good luck.