User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 50
  1. #1
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,382
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Mods to make NBG 98 rougher?

    Having this past week just purchased a used racket strung with NBG 98 at 24lbs, this is the first time I've used this string,... and it has the most effortless repulsion/power that I've ever had from all the strings I've tried, including my current favourite zm62, and zm65, bg80/66um, vs850.

    The only downfall is that the surface of the string is sooooo slippery, as if it was dipped in bacon fat and teflon! Such a pity! All my slice shots and control/placement shots required supra maximal concentration as I couldn't be sure how the shuttle was sliding on the string bed. Can't a string be made to have both max repulsion AND max control? Why should those two characteristics be mutually exclusive?

    For the time being I want to continue to try to adapt to this string, so my question is this: has anyone tried to mod this string to make it rougher? I was thinking perhaps with something that can be sprayed or brushed on that can permanently stick on the string surface to make it as rough as the strings above. Any one with any suggestions?

    Calling out @kwun @Mark A @j4ckie @zombie0517
    Last edited by visor; 04-20-2013 at 05:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    How about some light sanding?

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    13,337
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah. Use emery paper.

    I like BG 66 over NGB 98. But BG66 doesn't last so long.

  4. #4
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,940
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    shingaporu
    Posts
    501
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    why not try r4x100 by gosen? :O

  6. #6
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,382
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hmmm... sanding it... sounds damaging and destructive, so I'll save this if all else fails.

  7. #7
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,382
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Did a little research on tennis strings... so apparently some pros have been suspected of spraying their stringbed with silicone spray to make it slippery so that it'll rebound faster with more power and more spin.

    If so, then I can see why slippery strings are also more powerful for badminton... less friction between strings so less energy and power lost when the stringbed stretches and rebounds. Hmmm... interesting.
    Last edited by visor; 04-20-2013 at 11:46 PM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,382
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Alright... have decided to test out hairspray on an old racket with bg65. Will start with very light spray first so that the strings can still slide against each other and not affect rebound much.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    327
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Alright... have decided to test out hairspray on an old racket with bg65. Will start with very light spray first so that the strings can still slide against each other and not affect rebound much.
    haha this thread is getting funky and interesting
    could start a new hairspray trend

  10. #10
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,382
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blableblibloblu View Post
    haha this thread is getting funky and interesting
    could start a new hairspray trend
    hehe... it's nice to have a wife around... can always borrow stuff from them for badminton application... like hairspray for strings, and nail polish for patching up paint chips on racket frames...

  11. #11
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,214
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Having this past week just purchased a used racket strung with NBG 98 at 24lbs, this is the first time I've used this string,... and it has the most effortless repulsion/power that I've ever had from all the strings I've tried, including my current favourite zm62, and zm65, bg80/66um, vs850.

    The only downfall is that the surface of the string is sooooo slippery, as if it was dipped in bacon fat and teflon! Such a pity! All my slice shots and control/placement shots required supra maximal concentration as I couldn't be sure how the shuttle was sliding on the string bed. Can't a string be made to have both max repulsion AND max control? Why should those two characteristics be mutually exclusive?

    For the time being I want to continue to try to adapt to this string, so my question is this: has anyone tried to mod this string to make it rougher? I was thinking perhaps with something that can be sprayed or brushed on that can permanently stick on the string surface to make it as rough as the strings above. Any one with any suggestions?

    Calling out @kwun @Mark A @j4ckie @zombie0517
    Well, I bet a Yonex logo would make it more grippy... till the ink falls off.

  12. #12
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,940
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    actually, kinda surprised that you think the NBG98 is slippery. while it is not a textured string like the BG80 or Zymaxes. it is hardly slippery to me. i strung 4 of them today and it has a smoother but slightly rubbery textures.

    maybe you should cut down your bacon in take during breakfast or wash your hands before you play with your badminton toys?

    or just have pancake for breakfast, dried syrup will stick to any thing, including feather shuttlecocks.

  13. #13
    Regular Member j4ckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,772
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Kinda surprised you don't think it's slippery It's one of the most slippery strings I've ever laid hands on, only a few Li Nings are similar...even the NBG95 isn't quite as bad.

    I kinda suspect a more slippery string is more repulsive, or at least it is so by coincident....ZM65/BG66UM should both be as repulsive as the NBG98, but when I had a fresh set on my Mx80, nothing else came close. Sadly I was too impatient to let the strings rest for a day before play and paid the price (breaking it in the first session)

    BG66 is slippery as well. Used up a 4m leftover piece I had lying around yesterday (hybrid-ing it with a 6-7m leftover piece of ZM65), and they felt so, so different

  14. #14
    Regular Member Mark A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St Helens, UK
    Posts
    4,214
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    actually, kinda surprised that you think the NBG98 is slippery.
    ! It's greasier than a teenager's forehead!

    Makes it really easy to string, though.

  15. #15
    Administrator kwun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Santa Clara, California, United States
    Posts
    35,940
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    you guys don't know what slippery mean until you have strung Adidas/Toalson string.

    my fixed clamp adjustment had to be drastically tightened. the prior setting worked fine for me even for ZM62. but slipped like it was on teflon with 0.69mm Adidas string!

  16. #16
    Regular Member j4ckie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,772
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Haha, maybe But having strung most Yonex strings there are and a couple Li Ning/Victor/Ashaway as well, the NBG98 is the most slippery so far. Closely on it's heels are LN AP101N/AP62/NS90 (I think. A very very repulsive, very slippery .67 string, anyway). After that, NBG95 and BG66 follow, which are still slippery but not that bad.
    Tightest clamp setting ever was the AP62 for me, with the new clamps (which haven't seen ZM62 or AP62 yet) it's been ZM65, surprisingly. Would've thought the NBG98 to need a tighter setting, but it doesn't.

  17. #17
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,382
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    @j4ckie

    Yep, I suspect your suspicions are right.


    In the tennis world, slippery tennis strings are supposedly more repulsive, because the stringbed has less friction between the mains and crosses, and hence a more efficient stretch and rebound cycle with each hit. Ultimately this means that more of your power input is transferred to output.


    Apparently some pros have even been accused of getting more power by spraying their already slippery strings with silicone (likely wd40) in an effort to further reduce friction.


    What this means for badminton is probably the same. Maybe that's why max power and max control are mutually exclusive in strings. It seems the only way to get both (eg. bg66um) is to make thin slippery strings. Slippery for power, as discussed above. And thin for control, so that the stringbed can cut into the cork.
    Last edited by visor; 04-21-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •