Mods to make NBG 98 rougher?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by visor, Apr 20, 2013.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Having this past week just purchased a used racket strung with NBG 98 at 24lbs, this is the first time I've used this string,... and it has the most effortless repulsion/power that I've ever had from all the strings I've tried, including my current favourite zm62, and zm65, bg80/66um, vs850. :)

The only downfall is that the surface of the string is sooooo slippery, as if it was dipped in bacon fat and teflon! :eek: Such a pity! All my slice shots and control/placement shots required supra maximal concentration as I couldn't be sure how the shuttle was sliding on the string bed. :( Can't a string be made to have both max repulsion AND max control? Why should those two characteristics be mutually exclusive? :( :(

For the time being I want to continue to try to adapt to this string, so my question is this: has anyone tried to mod this string to make it rougher? I was thinking perhaps with something that can be sprayed or brushed on that can permanently stick on the string surface to make it as rough as the strings above. Any one with any suggestions?

Calling out @kwun @Mark A [MENTION=64484]j4ckie[/MENTION] @zombie0517 :)

#1 visor, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

How about some light sanding?

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yeah. Use emery paper.

I like BG 66 over NGB 98. But BG66 doesn't last so long.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  5. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

why not try r4x100 by gosen? :O

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Hmmm... sanding it... sounds damaging and destructive, so I'll save this if all else fails. :p

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Did a little research on tennis strings... so apparently some pros have been suspected of spraying their stringbed with silicone spray to make it slippery so that it'll rebound faster with more power and more spin.

If so, then I can see why slippery strings are also more powerful for badminton... less friction between strings so less energy and power lost when the stringbed stretches and rebounds. Hmmm... interesting.

#7 visor, Apr 20, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  8. visor

visor Regular Member

Alright... have decided to test out hairspray on an old racket with bg65. Will start with very light spray first so that the strings can still slide against each other and not affect rebound much. :)

9. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    haha this thread is getting funky and interesting
    could start a new hairspray trend

10. visor

visor Regular Member

hehe... it's nice to have a wife around... can always borrow stuff from them for badminton application... like hairspray for strings, and nail polish for patching up paint chips on racket frames... ;) :D

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Well, I bet a Yonex logo would make it more grippy... till the ink falls off:).

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, kinda surprised that you think the NBG98 is slippery. while it is not a textured string like the BG80 or Zymaxes. it is hardly slippery to me. i strung 4 of them today and it has a smoother but slightly rubbery textures.

maybe you should cut down your bacon in take during breakfast or wash your hands before you play with your badminton toys? ;)

or just have pancake for breakfast, dried syrup will stick to any thing, including feather shuttlecocks.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Kinda surprised you don't think it's slippery :D It's one of the most slippery strings I've ever laid hands on, only a few Li Nings are similar...even the NBG95 isn't quite as bad.

I kinda suspect a more slippery string is more repulsive, or at least it is so by coincident....ZM65/BG66UM should both be as repulsive as the NBG98, but when I had a fresh set on my Mx80, nothing else came close. Sadly I was too impatient to let the strings rest for a day before play and paid the price (breaking it in the first session) :D

BG66 is slippery as well. Used up a 4m leftover piece I had lying around yesterday (hybrid-ing it with a 6-7m leftover piece of ZM65), and they felt so, so different :D

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

:eek:! It's greasier than a teenager's forehead!

Makes it really easy to string, though;).

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you guys don't know what slippery mean until you have strung Adidas/Toalson string.

my fixed clamp adjustment had to be drastically tightened. the prior setting worked fine for me even for ZM62. but slipped like it was on teflon with 0.69mm Adidas string!

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha, maybe :D But having strung most Yonex strings there are and a couple Li Ning/Victor/Ashaway as well, the NBG98 is the most slippery so far. Closely on it's heels are LN AP101N/AP62/NS90 (I think. A very very repulsive, very slippery .67 string, anyway). After that, NBG95 and BG66 follow, which are still slippery but not that bad.
    Tightest clamp setting ever was the AP62 for me, with the new clamps (which haven't seen ZM62 or AP62 yet) it's been ZM65, surprisingly. Would've thought the NBG98 to need a tighter setting, but it doesn't.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

@j4ckie

Yep, I suspect your suspicions are right. :)

In the tennis world, slippery tennis strings are supposedly more repulsive, because the stringbed has less friction between the mains and crosses, and hence a more efficient stretch and rebound cycle with each hit. Ultimately this means that more of your power input is transferred to output. :cool:

Apparently some pros have even been accused of getting more power by spraying their already slippery strings with silicone (likely wd40) in an effort to further reduce friction. :)

What this means for badminton is probably the same. Maybe that's why max power and max control are mutually exclusive in strings. It seems the only way to get both (eg. bg66um) is to make thin slippery strings. Slippery for power, as discussed above. And thin for control, so that the stringbed can cut into the cork.

#17 visor, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh. and that explains why the Adidas Power Hybrid is so powerful.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

@kwun ..... Hmmm, re Adidas Power Hybrid strings, it seems that Adidas is onto something here... thick 0.72mm mains for strength where it's needed as that's where most breaks occur, 0.69mm for crosses. And I'm willing to bet that one of them is slippery, while the other is rough. ;) So that the intersections friction is still minimized as compared to having both rough. ;) Very smart.

Which means a hybrid of nbg98 and a rough string like vs850,
    zm62/65 would be a good combo. :D

#19 visor, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    both strings are slippery. the super slippery Adidas string i was refering to above is the Power Hybrid.

0.69mm would slip on a clamp that was adjusted for ZM62. it was that slippery.

and super powerful.

now where is my can of WD40? ;)