Which racket length prefer? Long or Regular?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Smashguy, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Smashguy

Smashguy Regular Member

I wonder what you guys feel about racket length. Nowaday, many pros are using LONG rackets. Is it really help your performance by increasing 10mm length?

In Chinese, there are an idiom "One inch longer, one inch stronger." Is it real on badminton playing. Or taller player should use REGULAR and shorter one use LONG version racket? Now Yonex makes most of her high-end rackets in LONG version such as MP100/99 and AT700/500 as well as Ti10/8.

I had tried both length and long racket is good at saving net ball. But if your foot work is good, it is not important to have a long racket.

For clearing and smashing, especially the player had strong arm to swing faster, long racket is suit them more than regular size racket.

If more and more people switch to long racket, I think there should omitted the word 'LONG' on racket shaft because it becomes 'REGULAR'! 'REGULAR' racket should imprint the word 'SHORT' on it.

2. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

For me, the 10mm in length between my Cab & MP rackets makes no difference. It is said that 10mm extra length gives you very slight edge in power due to extra leverage and steeper smash is easier to achieve due to longer length. I for one don't seem to benefit / suffer from the extra length built into some Yonex rackets.

Shorter rackets, however do give faster reactive shots, such as smash return and net blocks. Watch Wijaya / Budiarto play at the net and you'll see Sigit choking up the racket, sometimes almost gripping the shaft, to block a flat drive towards him. That's why they wrap grip tape halfway up the shaft - he actually hold the racket that high sometimes!

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Well, this will depends on where that 10mm is at. Different racket has different designs.

For examples:

10mm is added to the handle: MP99
    10mm is added to the shaft: Cab20Long

Now you see the difference:)

For MP99, I don't feel any difference, however, for Cab20Long, you will feel the impact on how you gonna hit the shuttle right away because its shaft is longer.

4. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    personally, i like 10mm in the shaft.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I had tried both length and long racket is good at saving net ball. But if your foot work is good, it is not important to have a long racket

what if your opponent(s) also have good footwork? :rolleyes:

6. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

hmmm...

Ti-10 is 10 mm to the Handle or Shaft?

7. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

IMO, i prefer using the long racket. It seems to give me a better feel when swinging and there are times when the "extra" power is noticable when comparing myself to using a shorter racket. I can easily go to and from using a long to a short so it's really no biggie in which racket i use but rather which one i prefer (long).

8. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

I used a long racquet now i use 'regular' i can't really notice the difference much though.

9. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Through my own experience, after getting used to the LONG racquets (my Ti-10 and on-off MPs) I find regular length pretty hard to use. I switched back to my Cab 20 the other day and my game sucked big time.

The biggest problem I had when I used regular racquets now is the timing. Same with a friend who tried my Ti-10 from his usual Cab 13 and Aerotus.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i doubt so. from the marketing point of view, it is much easier to market a "long" and a "regular" racket instead of marketing a "regular" and "short" racket. "short" just doesn't sound right.

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I prefer regular length racquets. Had two LONG racquets (ISO 250 LONG and Techno Pro 6##) but I could never get used to them:(. Certainly hope that manufacturers will still make regular length racquets years down the road.

12. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

i think regular length will soon die out...

in fact most of the long racquet in the market today didn't have the word Long...

13. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    They do.
    All MP rackets indicate "Extra 10mm Long" on their ads.

The regular rackets will not die out because long rackets can not be "long" if there is no "regular". That's a marketing strategy.

14. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    All the rackets can be of a certain length both minimum and maximum as laid out in the rules, it's probably just a matter of time till all rackets move towards the maximum length allowed.

Has anyone noticed that old carltons are the same length as the newer "long" length Yonex?

The differences between issues on the Aerogear F800 was about another cm or so on the handle

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I had very difficult time to get used to the extra 10mm. As I indicated in the Market section, I had to finally gave up good rackets due to the extra length. The main problem is off-center hit and close to body defense.

So, totally settled down on regular length (with 90% oval head) these days.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to me, the 10mm difference is not significant.

if i switch from/to long rackets, it takes me sometime to adjust to it. afterwards, no difference.

17. Noob848

Noob848 Regular Member

I find that long racquets are fine and when someone smashes at you or you have to do some quick blocking, just grip the cone and you should be fine

18. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    I don't find really much of a differnece in length myself. Just need to re-adapt yourself to the racket you are using.

19. bananaQ

bananaQ Regular Member

I prefer a regular one. My arms are already long.

20. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...i don't really mind the lengths since all i need is a few minutes to adjust...but i still prefer long...probably cause i've been playing mainly with a long racquet...:)