Yonex SHB-86 -> Yonex SHB-01M or SHB-74

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Neffri, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Neffri

Neffri Regular Member

Hello everyone!
    Im on the look for some new shoes since my SHB-86 is breaking down.
    I am considering the SHB-01M but im a bit afraid they will be to slim. I have quite wide feet and read in some other threads that they are quite narrow? The SHB-86 fits my feet very well, so is there a risk i cant use the 01M?

So my question is if they are somewhat alike when it comes to the fit? Anyone made the transition from SHB-86 to SHB-01M and would like to share the experience.

Also, how does the SHB-74 feel? Think that shoe looks quite nice and a bit lower in price to :)

And the last option ofc is to get me some more SHB-86 since i know they fit and are awsome. But its always fun to try out new stuff :D

Sadly enough there is no place in my town where i can try them out or i would ofc had done that already ;)

2. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    I am also interested in the SHB-74 to replace my second set of 92's that are starting to wear out on the uppers. (losing what little stability they had plus trailing foot damage)

3. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    I'd stick to SHB 86, I have wide feet too and it was the best. Currently using a 92 but still find 86 the best.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

#4 demolidor, Apr 25, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  5. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    I didn't know you can measure 'wide' feet :D. All I know is that wide feet/flat foot implies that your feet basically have minimal or no arch, causing over-pronation. Unless of course you're saying there's a difference between wide feet and flat feet.

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

There is a difference between wide and wide though :D. For example mine are 27cm long and 11cm wide (11.5 with pressure) and the SHB85 are probably too narrow/I would probably be better off with something wider ... (so not an 86 for example which is said to be more narrow than the 85). I could just about tie off my laces with the ones provided (never had such small loops in my life) but I had an imported pair from Japan and I think they gave me the wrong length of laces for the size (easily solved of course).

#6 demolidor, Apr 25, 2013
  7. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    interesting.. hey we have the same size feet! But I have no problem with the 86 (UK 10.5), never tried the 85 though.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[​IMG] That makes a lot of sense then on why they do fit you: you are wearing 2-3 sizes larger than I was. Since there was some confusion regarding the UK size: what is the Euro and/or CM size? I had a 27.5cm, should probably have gotten a 28cm, might have tried a 28.5 but yours must be 29cm?
    Now I'm going the proper route and getting a 4E model from Japan in 28cm and maybe another in 28.5. Yonex in Japan (along with Mizuno) also has a couple of 4E models but the international releases are standard 3E widths.
    That said I recently saw a Hong Kong release of a 4E model normally sold in Japan only which might do the trick as well: the SHB-82WMD
    I see the regular/low cut version has an export (EX) version released as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-NEW-20...295?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564fff4e7f

#8 demolidor, Apr 25, 2013
  9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Disregard the price of the last one, both should be available for about $80USD (ex shipping, possible VAT) ... But I noticed that at the current exchange rates there is not much in it between Hong Kong prices and Japanese prices :cool:.

To be precise, the midcut is named SHB-82WMD (like the Japanese version): http://www.twsport.com.tw/tw_productdesc.php?p_no=1310100003&Fk_no=104&Sk_no=10401

And the regular low cut is named SHB-82WEX (SHB-82W for the Japanese one): http://www.twsport.com.tw/tw_productdesc.php?p_no=1310100004&Fk_no=104&Sk_no=10401

BUT to return back on topic :D, here is one comment from the resident shoe addict regarding SHB-01 vs SHB-86: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-LTD-SHB-01MX-SHB-01-LX?p=2067041#post2067041

#9 demolidor, Apr 25, 2013
  10. Neffri

Neffri Regular Member

Yeah it was the last post there that got me worried, was about to order the SHB-01 when i read it.
    Guess the 01 are out of the question then, to bad cause i really like how they look.

So does anyone have an opinion about the SHB-74? Judging from Yonex own page SHB-82 and SHB-74 are related, but the SHB-74 dosnt have as much fancy technical stuff in them. Anyone tried them both and felt any difference? Or anyone who have the SHB-74 at all? Not much info about them here on the forum atleast.

Thx in advance :)
    /Neffri

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Which Yonex page? There is no relation between the 82 and 74? The 74 doesn't look particularly wide from the looks of it if you ask me. It doesn't even have the Hexagrip sole either ...

Didn't know this had an international release as well but if you like the 74 look you might like this one as well http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/...Red)&NavID=531&FromSearchPage=No#.UXmvVn6J0xA
    But I see they cost even more than the 86 there :D, I would just stick with that one (86) ...

#11 demolidor, Apr 25, 2013
  12. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    If (and only if) I remembered correctly I tried the 74 (http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/...Red)&NavID=514&FromSearchPage=No#.UXm01rVtjO8) before choosing the 86 because I was trying to choose a cheaper one but the 86 just felt so much better as there's more area at the midsole.

And demolidor, how on earth did you manage to squeeze your feet into those size?? :eek: I tried the international measurement and it's like 2 sizes below, which is... ridiculous. I've always worn my shoes between sizes 10 to 11 UK (10.5 UK = 29cm)

13. smashmaniac

smashmaniac Regular Member

quick review on shb 74 as i own it. white +red color
    i played 5 times a week ( 15 hours on court), double and single, fast attacking and drive. the shoes i can say is used on heavy duty (i am 180cm tall, 80 kg in weight). 3 months old. the example that i would like to use as basis of comparison is shb 74, shb 86, shb f1, shb 102

1. suitable for wide feet. not as fit as shb 01.compared with 86 slightly narrow (but to me its marginal)
    2. its light, comfy and sufficient cushioning effect. by comparison it does feel as light as shb f1. slightly heavier but not by much
    3. on the comfy side, yup its comfy. it does not have the lateral claw like shb 102 which when i move around the claw itself eat up the side of the feet (i m not sure though on how to describe it, to me it is simply uncomfortable)
    4. durabily is more durable than shb f1, (it depends though on how u wear it). not sure since its with me about 3 month (but since i use the shoes heavily if it able to reach 9 months is sufficient for me as my average shoe usage is about 6 months)

what i love about this shoes
    1. its very light. lighter than shb 102 and shb 86. which to me close to shb f1
    2. the cushion is sufficient, enough for me (i am having knee problem by the way since my cartilage is damage)
    3. its durable (to me it can last long up to 1 year, depending on the usage)
    4. its cheap. about half price of shb 01 ltd and about 3/5 from shb 102
    5. it is comfortable. enough for me. hugging my feet.
    6. white + red + black (the color is awesome)

what i dislike
    1. since i play single and due to the game commitment sometime i face sudden movement in the shoes when move fast. therefore sometimes it cause slight injury over my foot finger (sorry bad vocabulary here. those who understand care to help me explain it?)
    2. the white color cause it easily attract dirt and dust.need to really take care of it

recap
    1.weigh = shb f1 < shb 74
    2. wide feet = shb 86> shb 74 > Shb 102=shb f1> shb 01
    3. comfort = shb 86 > shb 74 > shb F1 = shb 01 > shb 102
    4. fast movement on court + support = shb 01 > shb 74= shb f1 > shb 86 > shb 102 (really not comfortable)
    5. durability = it depend on the usage. i am not sure since there is no quantified analysis on this
    6. value for money = shb 74 is the winner

another quick glance shb 74 with asics shoes (asics gel rocket)
    1.weigh = shb 74 < gel rocket
    2. wide feet = shb 74 = gel rocket
    3. comfort = shb 74 > gel rocket
    4. fast movement on court + support = shb 74> gel rocket (huge difference can be felt especially on single)
    5. durability = gel rocket
    6. value for money = shb 74 is the winner

hope it help. its not a professional review. therefore my deep apology over the flaw of this review that you all might face.

#13 smashmaniac, Apr 25, 2013
  14. Neffri

Neffri Regular Member

Haha, i see now that i wrote SHB-82 in my former post. And i meant the SHB-86 as i wrote in the op.. *brainmelt*

Nice, will check those out to. Its always fun to try new stuff so the price is not really the issue as long as they feel good :)

15. Neffri

Neffri Regular Member

[MENTION=104163]smashmaniac[/MENTION]
    Thats really awsome. Gives me a better feel of how they are.
    After reading that i think either SHB-74 och SHB-86 is the way to go for my feet. When i got the 86:ers they felt a bit narrow at first before i stretched them out. So going even slimmer shoes is out of the question i guess. :)

16. smashmaniac

smashmaniac Regular Member

Yup. Its narrow when looking at shb 86. But to me its comfortable. As value for money and speed purpose the shb 74 wins.if u prefer the support and comfort shb 86 is the one u should go.shb f1,shb 102 and shb 01 does not have those comfort.furthermore the shb01 is very tight.the insoles also noticeable higher.more suitable for arch type of foot with narrow in width

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The 85's (or better said 65FT) are a UK9 on the Yonex chart indeed. How? Thin socks and a supple upper :p. I think I have been rocking the QuattroFit before Yonex invented it [​IMG].
    But the notion of me wearing anything over a size 43 I have always found ridiculous (coming from mostly wearing Nike I suppose with half sizes in their table at this size range; sneakers that is, not for badminton). Dress shoes in 42 already look like leprechaun boots but the "modern day" design is mostly to blame for that.
    I guess one centimeter is not that much once I factor back in the thicker socks although even with thin socks blisters have never been an issue for me ...

#17 demolidor, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  18. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    You're a real funny person :D. Sorry for borrowing for this thread for a while, but you do know any difference between the 86 and 65FT, besides that 65FT is JP? I've always wanted to try the 65 but it looks so similar to the 86.
    Thanks

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes the 65CF = Yonex SHB85 and 65FT = SHB86 (mixed those up, I have the CF). But you can get the 86LTD's or 85LTD's just as well instead, these are the same here and in Japan ... Between the 65's and 85/86EX there is/are minor differences ...

20. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    Yeah ok, I've gone through the original thread on this before. Maybe I'll just try the 86LTD next time, my 92 is wearing out. Thank you.