User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    That is one kind of drive. Probably not used in the forecourt much since the shot will likely sail out of the back of the court. You can also drive when the shuttle is received much more centrally. In these cases the arm motion will be more similar for f/h & b/h than the kind of side-swipe drive you are describing.
    Ok calm yourself.
    1. you mentioned nothing of forecourt in your new "more interesting" Drive situation
    2. My point still stands if it is even driven from left shoulder it is less powerful then from right shoulder.
    3. Anything directly in front of you for a drive can be taken pan handle or backhand grip, but I would not class either a backhand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how you read any uncalmness in that post

1. It's a shot that can be played from forecourt isn't it
    2. I don't think this is a given

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got lack of calmness from the fact that you are not following any standard rules for debate.

1. lol you yourself said that would "sail out the back"
    2. yip it's a given "simple bio mechanics"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    I got lack of calmness from the fact that you are not following any standard rules for debate.

Not following rules of debate? Let's take a look at what happened:

Forehand drive is a one directional flow of power from all arm muscles involved. Reaching across your body even slightly for backhand drive reduces power capabilities.
    That is one kind of drive. Probably not used in the forecourt much since the shot will likely sail out of the back of the court. You can also drive when the shuttle is received much more centrally. In these cases the arm motion will be more similar for f/h & b/h than the kind of side-swipe drive you are describing.
    I challenge your premise of what defines a forehand/backhand drive, therefore also challenging your conclusion.

Ok calm yourself.
    1. you mentioned nothing of forecourt in your new "more interesting" Drive situation
    2. My point still stands if it is even driven from left shoulder it is less powerful then from right shoulder.
    3. Anything directly in front of you for a drive can be taken pan handle or backhand grip, but I would not class either a backhand.
    ad hominem remark followed by
    1. non sequitur.
    2. conclusion without any premise or inference.
    3. no comment - deviation.

1. Trying to address any confusion
    2. Request (implicit) for reasons for your conclusion given the challenge to your initial premise.

And where we are at now:

Not following standard rules for a debate? I think it is clear from above who is having difficulty participating in a meaningful debate.

1. non sequitur. You original point 1 references '[my] more interesting drive situation', so why are you now referencing my comment on your drive technique as performed in the forecourt?
    2. You repeat your conclusion and present a non-trival ambiguous and non-specific reason as trival.

I don't think I will waste my time further with this 'debate'.
    Last edited by amleto; 04-27-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol why i said calm yourself.

You left out my post where i explained forehand drive stronger due to single direction of power transfer being more effective over backhand drive which isn't. So I had made my conclusion with premise you just choose to ignore it and then argue I had no premise lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol debate.

lol. totally irrelevant since I mentioned one should consider different form of drive where what you say doesn't apply anymore. lol

lol

Hope I reply in a way that you can understand now. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I can gather is you are not bending your knees enough. lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Really? I'd be very interested for you to point out some examples of players executing "drives" from the forecourt i.e. from in front of their bodies, and especially "when the shuttle is received much more centrally".

I think all of that is obvious and intuitive.
    The Op asked for opinions as to why by his observations and experience, the backhand side was more powerful. I offered an opinion and observation. I think it is more than anything constructive you have offered so far. Do you have any issues with that, or is your dismissive remark just to try and have the last word?

Of course you can drive from the forecourt! Just think of some return of serve options - drive to either rear corners.
    Again. Show me some examples of players (pros and advanced) driving returns of serve from the forecourt.
    The major difference between a push and a drive is how hard you hit it
    Please explain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone asks the question "how do I improve improve my forecourt and net play" I will assume they are not interested in improving their lifts. In the same way I assumed the op is not curious about relative strength of lifts from different sides. It just seems bizarre to me, sorry.

several examples in this vid of drives from the net.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWM2fKkzjMU

drive/push difference:
    Pushes use the same badminton grips as for drives, but with a softer hitting action.
    http://www.badmintonbible.com/articl...drive-push.php

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

From Gollum's post to someone questioning difference between push and drive: ...... Pushes and drives are both "flat" shots. The angle may be completely flat, somewhat downwards, or somewhat upwards -- but not steeply downwards like a smash/drop, and not steeply upwards like a lift.

The difference between them is that a drive is a fast, sharp shot that travels into the rear part of the midcourt (or even into the rearcourt); whereas a push is a softer shot that travels into the front part of the midcourt (typically a short distance beyond the service line).

Pushes and drives can be played from varying positions, such as from the net, or when defending against the smash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would still love to know what backhand drive it is that's stronger than a forehand drive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A drive from in-line or just outside of the left shoulder could be stronger than a similar drive from the forehand side, according to my anecdotal evidence.

Anyway, the OP is the one who has done the study and presumably has some objective evidence of stronger b/h shots in the forecourt and net area. Maybe they aren't drives at all! but then what shots are they (I'm still refusing to believe someone felt the need to do a study on lifts here)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird that is exactly the kind of drives I had pictured when answering your questions. Now I am even more confused as to what kind of drive you wrongly assumed i was talking about. Anyway power capabilities on forehand at that height are far greater, if someone could prove different, now that would be extremely interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for some reason I thought you were talking about this kind of drive
    http://www.badmintonbible.com/images...and-drive3.jpg

That's why I said 'you can also drive when the shuttle is received more centrally'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2