Dissertation question on backhand and forehand

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by SPC_no_1, Apr 24, 2013.

1. SPC_no_1

SPC_no_1 New Member

Hello,

I am wanting to know if there has been any studies carried out with regards to someone's forhand being stronger than someone's backhand in the forecourt and net play! And in people's opinion why this is? The study I have done on subjects shows the backhand side tends to be stronger! I have coached badminton for about 10 years and coached at county level! I would like to know other coaches thoughts on this matter!

Cheers
    Rich

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I am no coach but i can tell you one of the reasons why it is easier to play backhand net is because the shuttle is more in front of your eye line and for cross court net you have to be closer to the shuttle than backhand cross net due to wrist mechanics. In forecourt for example lifts again due to wrist mechanics Backhand can cover a lot more laterally than forehand and again usually more naturally facing shuttle with backhand.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

how well have you searched google scholar?

4. raceto21

raceto21 Regular Member

[h=1]greetings spc_no_1 .
    maybe the study below can be a starting point to the information you are seeking. BEST OF LUCK TO YOUR ENDEAVOR.

Functional comparison of pronation and supination strengths.
    [/h]Timm WN, O'Driscoll SW, Johnson ME, An KN.

[h=3]Source
    [/h]Orthopedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Mayo Clinic/Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota.

[h=3][/h]

5. visor

visor Regular Member

If you're right handed, have you noticed that you're much stronger at tightening screws than loosening them? There's your answer. ;)

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    A layman's contribution:

From the point of beginning of your stroke to the point of contact with the shuttle...

when lifting from the net, your forehand cannot bend backwards from the elbow to create a wider arc of more than 90 deg, and consequently a more forceful return.

On the other hand, you can bend your elbow inwards when making a backhand lift and create a much wider arc of around 135 deg.

The wrist rotation in both cases applies, so this cancels out in comparison, I would think...

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

when the op says he is interested in forecourt actions/net play, does your mind really go straight to lifts?

I think you should be a bit embarrassed! :p

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ahem... lifts, not clears.... last I looked, that was forecourt action. Op mentioned "in the forecourt and net play" as distinct from "play contained within the forecourt area". The way I read it, the issue is about whether backhand or forehand play is stronger and more effective when playing from the forecourt or at the net.

At least, that's how my embarrasingly ineffective understanding of the language sees it... ;)

#8 cobalt, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

oh no, I understand lifts correctly. Why not considering drive and net kill actions?

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    No particular reason, really. I'm a layman when it comes to all the physics stuff, but I just felt that a lift would better illustrate the difference in the arc between forehand and backhand actions from in front of the body. And that this arc in some way affected the power of the shot being made. Of course, not considering a drive from the forecourt or net may have something to do with my embarrasingly mediocre grasp of the game itself.

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I don't think there is anything interesting at all to say about the fact that one can lift better from the backhand side for the reasons you have outline - simple bio mechanical limitations on the f/h side.

More interesting is to look at the comparative strength of f/h vs. b/h drive where the range of motion is much more symmetrical.

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Same reason why forehand is stronger than backhand on drives - "simple bio mechanical limitations" on the backhand

13. amleto

amleto Regular Member

forehand isnt stronger in general, though (for drives)

And what limitations, specifically?

#13 amleto, Apr 26, 2013
  14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Forehand drive is a one directional flow of power from all arm muscles involved. Reaching across your body even slightly for backhand drive reduces power capabilities.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I do, actually. The Op was looking for opinions why it is so. I think a longer and more pronounced swing arc allows for more control of direction than the shorter and hurried one. The upper body (back) also naturally arches and the entire position of the body along with the lift, straightening out of the elbow and final push upwards of the leg allows you to hit cleanly "through the line" as opposed to "beside the line" for a forehand lift. That is why you may observe something that is actually interesting: that a proper backhand lift always reaches higher and farther to the baseline than a forehand lift.

Even more interesting would be to discover exactly how you propose to drive from the forecourt... as opposed to push.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, cobalt, you brought up a good point about forecourt lifts. That's why if there's a drop down the middle, it's always better to let the backhand player take it. And we see this all the time at pro levels. Also this is also why it's best as an attacker to drop just a tad to the forehand side as much as possible.

And to take it further, backhand defence is notably better and more powerful than forehand for the same biomechanical reasons. ;)

#16 visor, Apr 26, 2013
  17. amleto

amleto Regular Member

That is one kind of drive. Probably not used in the forecourt much since the shot will likely sail out of the back of the court. You can also drive when the shuttle is received much more centrally. In these cases the arm motion will be more similar for f/h & b/h than the kind of side-swipe drive you are describing.

I think all of that is obvious and intuitive.

Of course you can drive from the forecourt! Just think of some return of serve options - drive to either rear corners. The major difference between a push and a drive is how hard you hit it.

#17 amleto, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ok calm yourself.
    1. you mentioned nothing of forecourt in your new "more interesting" Drive situation
    2. My point still stands if it is even driven from left shoulder it is less powerful then from right shoulder.
    3. Anything directly in front of you for a drive can be taken pan handle or backhand grip, but I would not class either a backhand.

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Not sure how you read any uncalmness in that post :confused:

1. It's a shot that can be played from forecourt isn't it :confused:
    2. I don't think this is a given

20. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I got lack of calmness from the fact that you are not following any standard rules for debate.

1. lol you yourself said that would "sail out the back"
    2. yip it's a given "simple bio mechanics"