HK job market

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by faion, Nov 17, 2003.

1. faion

faion Regular Member

How's everybody out there in HK? Working hard or hardly working?

I'm in the process of moving overseas to HK, as weird as it is. I'm actually an ABC (american born chinese), but very fobby. haha.

Anyways, i'm searching for a job over there. Any suggestions? Can anybody help? Any hookups?? ;)

***testing to see how far BC can take us***

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

isn't the HK job market very very very very harsh right now?

3. faion

faion Regular Member

very true

Yup, i know that the job market is harsh...but i wouldn't say very very very harsh. I'm thinking i have better like finding a long-term/perm. job in HK than here in the states. I'm only finding temp jobs rite now...and i need something mroe stable. Anyways, i've always wanted the experience to work in HK. So, pretty much anything will do. That's why i need the hookups. :D

4. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I dont think going to HK is going to be a good idea. Shang Hai is taking all the jobs that used to be there. From what i hear, lots of people from Taiwan and HK are heading there for jobs.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    "job" is such an vague term. what type of job? you said temp job, what type of temp job? what are you skills? how much work experience?

i am sure the classified ads in HK newspapers are not completely blank, but what in there matches you depends on your qualifications and job preference.

6. faion

faion Regular Member

yes, i have some friends that went over to shang-hai also. I woul go, but i haven't perfected my mandarin yet. Like i said earlier, i'm an ABC, i think HK would be a better choice for me...then move on up.

~Kwun,

I'm more focused in the business management , that is my major, and i've just graduated not too long ago. As for work experience, it's been random from the temp jobs i've done. I worked in a bank, retail, search engine company, and real estate. So, i honestly consider myself in the category of "entry level" Right now, any type of job in the business field(very general, i know) would be nice.

7. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Unemployment in HK is still pretty bad now. And from what I'm told by my HK friends, university graduates in HK would consider themselves lucky if they can land a HK$7000 to $8000 job (per month) fresh out of university. (and that's only around US$1000 per month) If you factor in housing and transportation costs, it seems pretty difficult for someone such as yourself to just break even.

Having said that, a CBC friend of mine recently headed to HK to teach English. Don't know how much he's earning, but at least he's got the job.

-Rick

8. faion

faion Regular Member

thanks for the info traum,

as a mater of fact, i'm aware of the salaries...and...it doesn't bother me too much, living wise, that's are settled...so...more of a...i just want to be in HK and ...i want to build up my connections there to work with or be in china afterwards. Hard to understand my way of thinking...hehe

mainly..just want to build up connections like i've already said...and head back to the states for a better opportunity...I'm sure everybody is already aware of China's potential =)

i'll stop there...don't wanna start a new thread about economics.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Most are working hard trying to find work. Those in work are working hard not to lose their jobs.

The situation has got a little better after China announced they will support HK, and also the moving of equity back into the stock markets...

Teachers of English (with some sort of teaching qualification) have things easier in private tutorial college.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Several Malaysian colleges with branches in Guangdong are recruting overseas chinese to teach business etc and paying some HK 12,000 a month.

But the people required are retired senior executives in business and industry.

If you think situation is bad in HK it's worse in Msia, jobs are a plenty but requires

a lot of job-sharing to keep everyone employed and entry level at HK4000.

Like experts say China is eating everyone's lunch, but another popular saying goes,

if you can't beat them join them or if Mhd doesn't go to the mountain,the mountain ought to go to Mohd.