List of Eligible Players/Pairs for 20th BWF World Championships 2013

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by CLELY, Apr 26, 2013.

1. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

thank you! :)

2. iamronnel

iamronnel New Member

analyst
    In BWF's calendar http://www.bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=23535 it seems only CBA is eligible to submit a wild card. Will this be the option where it's still possible for Lin Dan to participate? - although it was already ruled out in the news. I may not have gone thru the rules, but if that is the case other nations should also have more high ranking players that they can also decide to use wild card.

• Wed, 01 May 2013: China BA will decide whether or not they wish to use wild cards
    • Fri , 03 May 2013: BWF to decide whether or not to use BWF wild cards
    • Thurs, 09 May 2013: confirmation of wildcard entries

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid not, Lin Dan is as good as out of this year's WC. My understanding of the BWF regulations http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=422679&dl=1 Wild cards3.2.10 In each event where the host Member Association does not have a player or pair eligible
    via the BWF ranking list, they shall be entitled to nominate a wild card entry. The host
    Member Association shall inform BWF its intention of nominating wild card entries as
    stated in the date lines in Annexure I -- is that CHN already have three MS players qualified ( 3 in the top 8) so CBA is not entitled to nominate a wild card entry.

However, BWF can if they want to but unfortunately Thomas Lund has recently expressed that they won't -- 3.2.14 In each event the BWF shall be entitled to nominate a wild card entry. This wild card entry will be selected by the Committee of Management. BWF shall publish its intention of
    nominating wild card entries as stated in the date lines in Annexure I.

While it's also true what AlanY has indicated that CBA can push Lin Dan in by sacrificing two of their three eligible players, this possibility has been ruled out by Li Yongbo and Lin Dan himself; in fact, from what I've read, LYB has gone to the extent of saying one WC title less for Lin Dan is alright if he's denied wild card entry, no affinity with the WC'13 then.

I feel the loss isn't so much Lin Dan's as that of the BWF, the tournament organizer, esp the big time sponsors, apart from the badminton community at large. Frankly, I must admit I don't think Lin Dan in his current form will win the WC even if he gets to play, my reasons for supporting his participation are stated elsewhere which I shan't repeat here.

Indeed, I'm still of the opinion this is Lee CW's best (and last?) chance of landing his first WC title though his recent performance is worrisome, somewhat shaking my confidence in him, particularly since his shock loss to Tian Houwei (whom I must say played brilliantly). Anyway,there's still some three months for him to put his nose to the grindstone;nevertheless, I'd give him a 50-55 % chance at most to take it.

4. ting_ht

ting_ht Regular Member

I agree and believe this is most liekly be LCW's last chance to win his first WC as LYB mentioned in the recent press conference. His best chance is already in the past.