Kendrick Lee back in training!

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Those of you who know Kendrick Lee may be pleased to learn that he is back in training for the Southeast Asian Games scheduled next month in Vietnam.

Kendrick was World Junior Championship Runner-Up 2002, the best performance by any Singaporean teenager at the world stage thus far. Remember Lin Dan and Bao Chunlai also had their baptism of fire at the WJC not too long ago and with further training and ambition, they have eclipsed some of their more illustrious seniors!

Kendrick was 18 then and he sacrificed one term of his Polytechnic studies to train for that event. After his WJC success, he was in two minds as to whether to continue his studies or to turn professional. But first he has to do his duty as a Singapore Citizen by being enlisted to serve National Service (NS), a normal period of 2 1/2 years' military training.

The first three months of NS is basic military training (BMT) to prepare the serviceman for further action. This normally consists of physical fitness and mental training. In a way, it was good for Kendrick as he was able to build up his fitness, stamina and was exposed to the discipline and "mental torture" of his NCO's. But the flip side of this is that Kendrick had no badminton training at all during this period and his badminton skills and instincts slowly but surely deteriorate. He will lose his sharpness and speed on the court without proper training and 3 months is a very long time to lay off.

It is to the credit of the SBA and the authorities to release Kendrick to train with the National Team for the SEA Games. I guess they were able to put up a case for a rare talent like Kendrick who can bring honours to Singapore. But, there is no formal policy as such to ensure that talented male athletes are given time off to continue their respective training, which is essential to maintain not only their interest in his chosen sport but more importantly, that they can continue to make progress in their training. Currently, it seems to be on a case-by-case basis, as in Kendrick's example.

I believe that if Singapore really wants to make a mark in regional and international sports, the NS authorities concerned should sit down and discuss with the national sports associations as to how they should tackle this question of talented sportsmen
    having to fulfill their NS requirements as citizens. Talented sportspeople are difficult to find in Singapore as most still prefer the relative comfort of acquiring good paper qualifications, although more parents are beginning to change their mindsets to allow their children more options, such as choosing sports as a career.

2. legal strike

legal strike Regular Member

Mr Loh are u presently coaching any school?

3. khelben

khelben Regular Member

yes i totally agree too... but NS is sort of a rite of passage for guys in singapore and i believe shld not be removed instead, perhaps as u have mentioned, talented individuals shld be allowed to train in their respective sports but at least after the initial BMT phase which is only 3 months... afterall, some of the things taught in NS are applicable elsewhere... physical conditioning, mental toughening, nationalistic pride, discipline, fighting spirit, etc etc are quite applicable to any sport...

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It depends how S'pore is going to weight up National interests. Certainly, basic NS should be considered. Anything after that should be weigghted carefully to balance the National interests and the individual. After all, with S'pore's emphasis on intellectual prowess, this ability is not going to be hindered much by 2 years in NS.

But for serious sports atheletes, 2 years out of a possible 10 years of the prime time for training/physical acheivements equals 20%! Not something to be taken lightly.

So Kendrick only gets to go to SEA games. Then from lack of training, he will not do well. Because of poor performance, there will be even less reason to release him for badminton in the future. See what I am getting at;) The guy does not have much going for him.:(

5. legal strike

legal strike Regular Member

as a form of incentive should'nt they be exempted from national service after all they are in a big way serving the country too, beside doing ns will risk them of getting injuried or worst....

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, I agree with you that the BMT is a must for all eligible NS men. You rightly cited the positive reinforcements that can accrue to the trainee, more importanly, it is a time for them to really get to know one another, irrespective of race, language or religion. Some of the best friends are made during NS. And this makes it really easier for nation building.

But for the really talented sportsmen who can make it to the National Team, they should be allowed to pursue the rest of their NS commitment in their chosen sport after their 3-month stint. By then they will be above 18 years of age and there is not much time left for them to don Singapore colours and win accolades for the country. So Kendrick's release after his BMT is a very positive move indeed. However, what will happen after the SEA Games? Will he be able to continue training with the National Squad and maybe turn pro thereafter? A sportsman's active career is relatively short!

Legal strike

Thanks for your interest in this subject. No, I'm not a coach but I'm a badminton nut although, as a veteran, I can't play as many games as before.

7. khelben

khelben Regular Member

yeah i agree with that... the ages of around 18-21 are indeed very impt for the development of the professional athlete i guess... yeah but i still feel that the first 3 months are necessary... afterall it is only three months and not three months of inactivity... :D

anyway on a side issue, i heard that the korean men's doubles pairing of kim/ha had to deal with the issue of national service as well... in the 2000 olympics, kim had won a gold medal in the mixed event in 1996 and would have been exempted from NS already but ha only had the md event and that would have been his last chance... as such, both of them were extremely delighted when they beat the mas pair choong/lee for the bronze medal... this meant that ha did would have been exempted from NS and their partnership could continue... (info from nauknip... not sure if i remembered correctly :D )

yeah so actually perhaps singapore can adpot a similar system... of course using tournaments of less prestige first... like a medal in the WJC etc...

8. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

BISH. I had posted a reply before this but my comp hanged.

Anyway, evidently, Khelben is a succesful product of the Singapore NS system. The government must be so proud of you. :p

I still want to see that emotional moment when Kdm cried.... Anyway has a recording of it?

Good luck to Kendrick and hopefully he can prove that he is a talent not meant to be spending his years training in NS when he shud be training elsewhere.

9. gliby

gliby Regular Member

Too bad for KL. I saw him play and he is quite good, but my opinion is that Hendra Wiyaja (3rd in World Junior Championship 2002, lost to Chenj Jin in 3 sets)is even better. He is even younger than KL. Still, he'll also have to go to the army.

10. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Kendrick Lee
    Malaysia Open 2007

Attached Files:

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Wow Yannie, you've dug up this thread which is more than 3 years old!

Poor Kendrick appears to be going nowhere after his win at the relatively low 1-star US Open (2 years ago?). Despite training full time after his National Service, Kendrick hasn't quite found his winning formula yet and his recent performance left much to be desired! Not that Kendrick is lacking in skills but somehow, like Ronald Susilo, his mental strength has failed him at the crucial stages.

Kendrick's results in the SS this year:

1. Malaysia SS: Lost to Kenneth Jonassen 11-21, 11-21 in R1.
    2. Korea SS: Lost to Lin Dan 14-21, 16-21 in R1.

Actually Kendrick's World Ranking (in brackets is Ronald Susilo's) has improved steadily and is now at its best although he is still not in the top 10 yet, while Ronald has achieved WR7 in June 2003. Ronald has been gaining ranking points after recovering from his disastrous Achillies Tendon injury in 2005 and may soon overtake Kendrick to regain his No.1 position in Singapore.

Feb 2002 - 452 (33)
    Jun 2002 - 318 (47)
    Jan 2003 - 195 (19)
    Jun 2003 - 118 (7)
    Jan 2004 - 110 (15)
    Jul 2004 - 59 (10)
    Dec 2004 - 30 (10)
    Jun 2005 - 37 (34)
    Jan 2006 - 37 (58)
    Dec 2006 - 29 (35)
    Feb 2007 - 22 (26)

I hope both Kendrick and Ronald can really focus on doing well and break into the Top 10 world ranks this year.

#11 Loh, Feb 22, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Yes, he won the US Open almost 3 yrs ago...or more than 2 yrs ago..

(just a brief recap for those who don't know what happened in that match)..
    ..in 2004 over Peter Rasmussen, but won it with a W/O(i was there and witnessed it live)..almost 2 yrs ago was the WC(held in Anaheim) and the dates were very close to the usual timeframe of previous U.S. Opens; thus they didn't hold the U.S. Open in 2005...Peter, unfortunately, suffered quite a severe leg injury, which led eventually to his early retirement from playing professionally:( :p ..If i remember correctly, it happened in the 1st set with the score quite close...And that occurred just 2 yrs after he and Peter Gade, who actually played in his first tourney after he suffered an injury, entertained the crowd in the 2002 edition of the U.S. Open(i believe kwun was there but i never knew him nor found out abt BCF before. But that 2004 yr, during the U.S. Open, was the first time i found out abt this forum. And Loh, i remember, you were one of the very first BC members who responded & greeted my very first post(s))..;):D:cool:
    Needless to say, the fans weren't thrilled as they didn't expect that kind of ending/finish..;)

#12 ctjcad, Feb 22, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Oh, I can't remember that well as age has caught up with me. But Chris, am I glad that you stayed this long. Welcome onboard again and do help to keep the ship afloat! :)

14. Naidikiw

Naidikiw Regular Member

Born

When were he born? Year? Month? Day?

15. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Kendrick Lee Yen Hui: 08 OCT 1984
    Chinese name: 李彦辉

16. yannie

yannie Regular Member

17. Naidikiw

Naidikiw Regular Member