Can't seem to find the "right" grip size for my hand...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by JustinG, Apr 27, 2013.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

As the title states, I can't seem to find the "right" grip size for my hand. Is there a standard measurement guide for grip size to hand, and is so, how accurate is it? My hands are a little on the smaller side fyi. I know personal preference comes into play; however, I know some peeps who have grips that are "huge" and I don't think any coach would recommend a grip size of that magnitude. I play mainly singles, kind of a neutral-rally style (only smashing when necessary or forced) Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages to a larger grip size, and a smaller one? I know I have a lot of questions regarding this topic and it's only because it's been bothering me for the last few years but have kept on forgetting to write about it! haha! Any help would be great, and additional information too! Thank you! Justin G

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

There is no standard measurement guide -- not that I'm aware of, anyway.

An excessively large grip -- one that completely fills the hand -- indicates poor hitting technique, because it shows that the player is not using the fingers effectively. Conversely, an excessively small grip will cause the player to clench the racket tightly all the time; this is also bad technique, and can lead to tendonitis.

Just experiment with different grip sizes, and find out what works best for you. I'm quite picky about the exact size, so I like to use thin overgrips to build up the handle to exactly the thickness I want.

I find that I want a slightly thinner grip when my strings are fresh; this probably says something about how a good set of strings affects my technique.

#2 Gollum, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  3. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

I ordered a bunch of grips from Eric and used different grips/combinations on a few rackets to try to find the sweet spot... I would suggest this , as gollum says the wrong size can cause problems down the line..

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Good answer from Gollum. Key points in my mind:
    - huge grip means less room for finger power.
    - Some people use HUGE grips because doing otherwise hurts their joints. These people normally have bad technique (or play tennis and like the grip size!!!) and are extremely tense when they hit the shuttle, and need all the layers of grip to absorb the shock of hitting. This is a poor choice in the long run, as playing with bad technique is not something I would ever recommend. However, if that is what these people need to play badminton (i.e. they don't train/just social) then I think they have made the right choice for them.
    - Small grips tend to lead to players not transferring energy into the shuttle correctly, and instead some energy goes into the arm (particularly the elbow). This can cause some serious pain. I used to suffer from this (but I have tried everything :) )

As far as I can tell, the ideal grip size for me is such that if I hold my racket in the standard overhead forehand grip (basic grip), my ring finger does not quite touch my hand (below my thumb). However, when I tighten my grip, they do touch slightly. I would expect a good grip would be such that none of the fingers can quite rap around and reach the hand.

Good luck!

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

That measure seems to work for me too.

6. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

Thank you for all the input.