Voltric Z-Force Smash not powerful

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Ultrasmash, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Ultrasmash

Ultrasmash Regular Member

Hey all, I recently got myself a Voltric Z-Force and for some reason it is very hard for me to generate a strong smash with it. My main racket before the Z-Force was a Z-Slash, and the smashes on that seemed easier to generate even though there is a smaller sweet spot... Is it something wrong with my technique, or the racket shaft is too stiff? Thanks guys.

2. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    The racket shaft is most likely to stiff for your swingspeed.. If you recently switch it could of course also be adjustment in timing (not hitting the sweetspot). Z-slash is kind of poorly designed racket.. flexible and easy to generate power.. but with poor control and narrow frame...

3. swunk

swunk Regular Member

not enough wrist power to smash with extra stiff shaft. train your wrist

4. Ultrasmash

May I ask how I would train my wrist? Like with a dumbbell and move it around back and forth?

5. p2user

p2user Regular Member

I haven't been happy with my z-force and believe it's because the shaft is more stiff and my technique and wrist power is not up to the job. So got a z slash and really happy with it, much more easier to generate power. I'm thinking of getting the powerball and also trying out some wrist exercises I've seen in this forum to get better.

6. amleto

amleto Regular Member

7. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

Well, i suggest you fill a 1.5L water bottle with water and make a 8 shape rotation with your wrist. I'm sure that you will find it hard to do. :D

8. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    z slash has a more flexible shaft compared to the z force. so you're required to swing faster and possibly use more wrist power to generate the same power as if you would from the z slash. give yourself some time to adjust to the new racket as well. :)

9. SyamzariVoltric

SyamzariVoltric Regular Member

Optometrist
    is your voltric zf and z slash with the same string tension ??

10. shosasakigamba

shosasakigamba Regular Member

Buyer
    Sounds like its hampering your enjoyment of the game. I suggest you go back to the z slash if thats what you comfortable with. Dont see a point in having to ''build up'' to use a racket. Unless your planning to go pro.

11. Ultrasmash

They are both strung at 26lbs.

12. Nicky_Boy02

Nicky_Boy02 Regular Member

Space Explorer
    I own a vtzf 4u and I usually string it at 24lb. I know it's quite low as most vtzf user strings their racket at least 25lb. But surprisingly, I used my friend's vtzf which strung at 22lb, I found that my play get better in the sense that I felt that my smash has more power compare to 24lb and clearing seem better as well. I know it's weird but to be frank, when i wield my 24lb strung vtzf, I could feel the tightness of the string. Can someone explain my scenario to me??

13. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

+1 for the idea above.
    Seems like the Arc Z-Slash suits you better, there is no point to put your games into boundaries because of your interest of using Z-Force. In the end, the player choose the racket, not the other way around.

14. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

For us mere mortals:
    Higher tension = less power + more control
    Lower tension = more power + less control

You have to find the perfect equilibrium.

15. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    You're taking polar opposites and expect them to play the same? As a user of head heavy and stiff rackets, the Zf works for me as if I'd been using it for years. On the contrary, I can't generate power from the Arc line. Just stick yo what works for u now or at least with rackets similar in specs!

16. yerrorice

yerrorice Regular Member

"Higher tension generates more power if you're strong. Gollum correctly stated that if you were to start with a low tension and gradually move up, you'll find you generate more power up to a certain point. At that point, if you increase the tension more, you lose power.

String tension works on a similar principle to shaft flexibility. Your string-bed is like a trampoline, pure and simple. When the shuttle makes contact with the string-bed, it bends the strings back. The strings then snap back into place, which propels the shuttle forwards. Like I said, exactly like a trampoline: you land on the trampoline, you bend the surface down, and then it springs you back up in order to regain its original shape.

So let's say you start off at a neutral tension. We'll say 23 lbs. At the moment that you contact the bird, the force of your swing bends the strings back, let's say 2 cm. The strings then snap back into place and propels the bird forwards. So we'll use that as a standard.

Then you increase your tension to say, 26 lbs. IF YOU ARE STRONG, then at the moment that you contact the bird, the force of your swing will still be able to bend the strings back 2 cm. Except now, because the tension is higher, the strings snap back into their original position at a faster speed and thus, increases the repulsion. Lo and behold, all the increased speed and repulsion translates to a more powerful smash.

Wonderful. This increasing tension thing seems to be working. So now you decide to increase the tension to 30 lbs. Theoretically, it should work the same way. The higher tension should snap the strings back at an even faster speed and generate even more repulsion right? Well, that depends on your ability TO BEND THE STRINGS BACK 2 CM. If you are strong enough to bend the strings back 2 cm, then yes, you will create more power. However, if the tension has gotten so high that you can't even generate enough power to bend the strings back 2 cm, then the strings will only bend, say 1 cm (or less). In THIS scenario, then, yes, the strings will still snap back at a faster speed... but they're only snapping the distance of 1 cm, not 2. When that happens, you lose power (and you'll feel like you're hitting the shuttle with a wooden board).

So you want to aim for an optimum balance right? You want to increase your tension as high as you can (for the increase in repulsion) WITHOUT compromising your ability to bend the strings. That's why professionals use super high tensions. THEY have the strength to bend the strings, even at comically high tensions. As a result, they reap the reward that is a more powerful and explosive smash. But if you don't have the strength to bend the strings, then you won't be able to reap the benefits of those same high tensions."

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...se-a-higher-tension-and-get-more-power/page2?

Post #24 :)

17. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    poor control???0.0?

#17 DannyYan, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  18. n0m5ky

n0m5ky Regular Member

I play doubles only and my current go to racket is a 3U5 Arc Z Slash. I'm planning on getting a 4U5 Z Force or a 3U5 Arc 11. I did try the racket in a shop near me, but only had a few swings, not more. I feel that both 4U ZF and 3U Arc11 have the same weight with my Z Slash, but I feel ZF is the slowest in terms of swinging speed.

Is there anyone who switched from a 3U Z Slash to a 4U Z Force or 3U Arc 11 and feel satisfied with your new racket? Or would you always want to switch back to Z Slash?

I think Z Slash is a very good racket that gives you adequate power in smash as well as a great control in your shots. So, I disagree with a claim that its control is worse.

19. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

Z-Slash is a very good racket, indeed !
    I switched from 3u Z-Slash to 4u Z-Force to 3u Z-Force and finally to a 2u Z-Slash. I was assuming that I would be able to generate more power using the Z-Force but I was wrong. If you play good with the 3u Z-Slash and expect some extra power, I strongly suggest to get the 2u Z-Slash provided that your arm is stronger. My 2u Z-Slash is slightly head heavier compared to its 3u brother and I believe the total weight is ~5gr heavier. The recommended string tension is also higher for the 2u version.

It's just happened that some people can't really adapt to the "unusual" head shape and they find it very difficult to control due to timing issue which causes a lot of mishit but I found those who played well using oval/carbonex rackets mostly would not encounter any problem.

20. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

I've been using extra stiff rackets for a long time. Among these rackets, I would say VTZF is a beast.
    Aquired 4U VTZF LTD for 1 month & until now can I start getting used to it. I don't know where the problem is. It's simply hard to get power out. I can confirm that the frame is really stiff and the string bed feels much harder than other rackets.(some ppl say that VTZF LTD's frame is stiffer than regular ones.)Also I get tired really fast with VTZF LTD 4U. It's hard to imagine a 4U racket can be this tiring. I also own a ZF88 3U which is a special version of VTZF. I think the play style is different & they are about the same tiring. Might be because 3U is mainly used as a backcourt big hammer where I can use it's momentum to save some energy while the 4U requires more strength from the user himself.

However, A good news is that I find the performance of the racket is rewarding. This 4U beast packs a huge power along with pretty fast swing. I think I can get my games improved if I can tame this monster someday.

If you cannot get power out of it, I suggest you change a racket. It's not about skill or technique.
    This racket is pretty demanding. I think I have to put on a lot more muscles and training to get this racket work for me without injuries.