Indian Open 2013: Are BWF umpires too scared to..........

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by lordrogue, Apr 28, 2013.

1. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

what the hell happened at 0:27:50 in the MD finals???

2. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

I think the umpire should award the point when it's so blatantly done on purpose...

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Liu has learned a delay tactic from Boe/Mo... he was ready to receive then pretended to have some sweat in his eye the moment Ko served... too bad the umpire didn't spot it and gave a warning

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Liu did exactly the same thing to Boe/Mo in the QF at game point ... so it looks to be intentional.

5. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Liu has a bad attitude as well. He stares down the opponent with his googly eyes when he gets a point!

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Compared to Mogensen, he's a saint. In the QF, he actually hit the shuttle at Qiu when he hit it over to them after a rally.....as he got away with it, it's safe to assume the umpire was asleep. No way a wake person could miss that.....should've gotten him a yellow card immediately (although personally, I'd prefer if the umpire could skip it in blatant cases like this one, similar to football where there are situations where a red card is warranted).

7. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

The Danish without a doubt are the worst in MD so it always tickles me when they lose to the new guys who also remind me of them with attitude issues.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Can't say I agree on Liu/Qiu having attitude issues. Everyone shouts when they make a point these days, and they abstain from any 'dirty' tactics for the most part (with the exception of delaying the match on game points, sometimes).

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Compared to Wang shixian who did it in All England quarterfinals against Saina Nehwal, what Liu has done is minor one. You might have missed that match. Go and watch it. Many times Wang Shixian practiced that "Not Ready" tactics and Umpire was dumb struck without doing anything.

Besides, Chinese pair done excellently well in this tournament winning the title over here. I am amazed by their talent.. All the very best to this pair in the upcoming tournaments. :)

10. visor

visor Regular Member

[MENTION=64484]j4ckie[/MENTION] [MENTION=1]kwun[/MENTION]
    Nah, Mo hit Qiu during that rally that ended but didn't hit Qiu again when Qiu passed over the shuttle. Mo instead of accepting the shuttle, just hit hit back over the net to the mid court area but nowhere was it close to hitting Qiu.

11. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    no one can hold a candle next to boe/mo when it cames to gamesmanship; bad temperament and attitude. did you see how they would laugh and scratch their heads to mock or belittle their opponents whenever their opponent make a simple error?

in the quarter-finals, the return of shuttle to Qiu was so shocking that i think everyone watching was stunt for a moment - not knowing how to react to such a shameful act. not only did mo not apologise, i sense the umpire was also intimidated somewhat by this menacing danish pair to penalise them immediately.

they absolutely bring out the worst in the danish badminton team. their display of arrogance and hostility is something i have not seen for quite a while in badminton. but they never fail to surprise me each time.

imho, the good guys have prevailed. Liu/Qiu adopted the right strategy by putting more pressure on boe who was the weaker of the 2 idiots. i sincerely hope to see boe/mo get booted out of their no. 1 ranking in the near future as stronger pairs like lee yong dae/ko & chai biao/hong wei etc. turn the nut down on this most disgraceful pair.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well I didn't say the shuttle hit him. Just that Mogensen hit it at him, as in 'in his direction'. Still, where the f*ck are we getting if players are allowed to refuse the shuttle and just hit it back? Kindergarten, that's where.

I think bwf should adopt some of the FIFA/UEFA/DFB rules, like the Umpire being allowed to skip the yellow card in certain cases, and more importantly, be able to punish players after a match if there hasn't been a punishment in-game. In a football match, a player can get punished by the DFB, for example, if he gets filmed doing sth that warrants a red card (hitting s.o., spitting at s.o.,....) and escapes the referees notice. In my eyes that's a very good system, one bwf should think about applying themselves.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Mod note: Posts moved from Indian Open 3013 thread into this thread.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Thanks Cheung for organising this thread. :)

Imo I'm quite disturbed and disappointed that pro level badminton has allowed these instances to occur. With outright mocking/hostility and passive aggressive behaviours, along with blatant abuse of the the receiver's right to be ready... watching this type of badminton leaves a really bad taste in the mouth
    and sets a bad example and role model for aspiring players.

Along with the waist height rule, BWF really needs to get their act together and get their rule book up to modern times. Seriously.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I haven't reviewed the incident.

We used to get a bit more of this in the past. Remember Taufik's two fingers at a line judge at HK Open before?

What we can do here is publicly discuss the effects of such behaviour - wether it is acceptable or past the limits to the badminton public.

Perhaps BWF are monitoring Badmintonforum trying to pick up extra useful information for future improvement.

One thing that has to be mentioned is the umpiring standards. I am sure the umpire is qualified. But if it was a local umpire, perhaps he/she lacked a bit of experience handling the situation. It's there that BWF can help their umpires with a review system of incidents and how to handle them.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    someone should compile a video of Bo/Mo's bad sportmenship behaviors.

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Now that they don't touch hands before each rally as much as in the past, any compilation will be just repetitive and annoying because it would just show them glaring and mocking their opponents when they make a mistake, and perhaps the occasional telling their opponents to shut up if they had indicated the shot was out. ;)

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    or the case where the shuttle landed in on their side, linesman midjudged, and then Boe blatantly lied indicating it was out by inches, only to have instant replay showed it was bang on the line.

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

may be one for the bad calls over the years, that will be fun.

20. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    In the pro circuit or any competitive enviroment the goal is to win. How you do it, so long you're not penalize, is deem acceptable by those who does it. As a player against them, if you succumb to such intimidation, you've lost half the battle. This is what they want and you've play into their game. There are situation where the host country audience of such big events actually does the booing and intimidation on behalf of their players at the compettitors - this is really bad, how to handle this?

They'll be a time when Bo/Moe or those who doees it will meet their nemesis. Humans are quick to adapt. Soon most pro players would be used to it and such intimidation would not work and will backfire.