Tactics - Set Rallies

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Tharitha, May 2, 2013.

1. Tharitha

Tharitha Regular Member

Student
    When i'm watching matches I sometimes wonder if the top badminton players have some sort of set rallies they aim to play during the match. I know they practice rallies but do they aim to implement them during the match.
    A good example was the match between Peter Gade and Lin Dan in 2004 AE Final. LD was obviously faster and more confident and PG had just come out of injury rehabilitation. But within the first set LD was clearly outplayed by PG. Anyone who is a bit more knowledgeable about this can you please enlighten me !
    Also can you guys please suggest some practice rallies?? Please ...
    Thanks in advance
    -TM- :D:D

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    It comes down to experience and reacting to your opponent to choose the correct shot. Top players will know based on the shot their opponent hits to them what the most high percentage shot to play is. Then depending on their opponents movement/reaction along with their own feeling they will choose what shot to play.

Going into a match/rally and having a set of shots in your head of how you will play the rally is silly as your opponent will pick up on the pattern after a few points.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

you'll tend to see more set rallies in doubles... eg. mixed doubles, left/right handed player combos, front/rear court player combos etc.

4. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    players are usually prepared for the style and playing pattern of opponents. it is useful to know your opponent's play when he is under pressure.