Question on average durability of badminton mattress/carpet.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by arfandy, May 3, 2013.

1. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Dear BCMembers,

What is the average durability (in years) or how long badminton mattress would last if being used daily at quite hot indoor temperature (+33'Celcius, constant mopping/cleaning the surface, and used by amateur/intermediate players, 3-5hours daily) before needed to be replaced with new ones?

I'm on feasibility study to build private indoor court, and also considering to use hard-wood flooring & painted-flooring.

Thank you for any help.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

at the places that I play at in Canada, it looks like they change the mats every 3-5 years with about 6 hrs per day of play.

3. Thompson

Thompson Regular Member

Supervisor Pharmaceutical Industry
    Our court in The Netherlands, being used for about 12 hours a day for all kinds of sports hasn't had a new floor in like 10 years? Still plays like new, just normal everyday cleaning and pretty constant temperature of about 20 degrees celsius.

4. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Pure wood flooring is very slippery. Painted flooring is slightly better, but if painted on concrete, it kills knees. I hate them both.

Sorry, I don't have a chance to play on a mat, so I don't know.

5. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

conclusion so far, painted floor is definitively cheaper and most durable among all other options. the downfall is pretty slippery. painted on the hard-cement floor, would it be okay for knee if the thickness of paint is about 2-4mm? That means the floor must be painted over and over again until it feels soft enough. not so sure if this method is possible or not (please comment those who knew or already done this method)

6. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

are the courts there permanent or portable ones? I doubt if you can change the permanent carpet (stick with super glue to the floor) without damaging the rest of the carpet. Portable court should be easier to change part by part. by the way, what are the damages done to the carpet that need to be changed every 3-5 years?