Quick "Hi"

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by varsis, May 4, 2013.

1. varsis

varsis Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Just joined up as this is definitely the place to be for badminton info and chat, thanks to you all for making a cool and informative community.

I used to play a lot when I was younger, played for about 10 years from the age of 5 to the age of 15, though not so much towards the end of my 10 year session. I ended up playing in B grade (adult) in-state games in Australia, going around doing comps was a fun/great memory of my childhood. That was a long time ago, hitting the 30s and I've decided to get back into badminton after 2 years of playing squash (fun, but just not demanding enough on skill range), I play locally in Saigon thanks to michelle (newbie2011) who introduced me to a local group as I have next to no Vietnamese skills.

It's taking awhile to get my skills back, however I enjoy every session I play and slowly graining back the skills I once possessed, and wow... what a workout, playing indoors in the Saigon humidity with no A/C is something that takes a bit of getting used to.

I currently own a Yonex ArcSaber Z-Slash (bit of a temperamental racquet, played a few sessions with it), have been using a Yonex ArcSaber Flash Boost SP for the last few months (BG66 @ 20lbs), and just got my hands on a Gosen Shiden (wanted to Ougi, but couldn't find it locally) and am itching to try it out. Just swapped my strings out for the FB and Shiden, now strung with BG-80P (didn't notice it was P until it was strung, so that's going to be interesting) @ 24lbs, I hear the Shiden has a rated tension at max 27lbs, so will be interesting to see how it performs.

I'm holding off putting my thoughts down on the FB as I had it strung at a low tension, though I will say it lacks a bit of punch on the smash, otherwise a great racquet.

Anywho, looking forward to joining in convos and maybe even providing a bit of my own experience of info when I can, though my info is severely outdated... when did points get scored when you weren't serving? What the hell happened to second serve? Why does everyone serve backhanded? Kids these days :p

#1 varsis, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013