splitting grommets and strings... replace or not?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by bigredlemon, Nov 19, 2003.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

The grommets for the strings on the mains stick outwards a few mm. Some of the protruding part on mine has been cleanly blown off. Everyone grommet on the main strings are experining varying degrees of splitting. The cross grommets are starting to split with a few having already split.

Well the racquet be damaged if I don't get it restrung (with grommet change)?

Another question: The bg70pro string is starting to split. NOT fray... but split. The thick coating is spitting, showing a thinner string underneath. Any one know what the outside layer and the inside layer is made of?

I think i saw the same thing in other strings but since this is the first time i've used color strings, it wasn't noticable until now.

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I don't think the racket will be damaged but if the string rubs against the frame where the grommet used to be it will just snap after it hits the sharper surface of the frame.

I think you should get a grommet refurbishment, in the UK you can get a complete set of MP grommets for around £5, so I would think these would be the most expensive because of their tailored shape.

3. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    i remember something about string rubbing against the frame and that messing up the frame.. don't quote me tho ^^

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey BRL,

What?! I thought you swore off BG 70 PRO?!:rolleyes: What's this about you using the very string you hated?:D

5. bigredlemon

yes i absolutely hate it! Not only does is it really bad... the damn thing never breaks so i never have a good excuse to get it restrung. (Don't have car nor access to one anymore, bus is 1.5 hour to nearest stringing place. Won't restring unless i have no choice. But tension already down to 18ish now... and still not broken. Arrggghh.)

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Ahhh! Just cut it and be done with it:D You should have string it really high in the beginning. At least, think of it this way: you save loads of time and money re-stringing. BTW, how high did you strung it at? And how long has it been since your last re-stringing?

7. bigredlemon

I had it strung at 24lb to begin with, but it felt more like 22 or less when i got the racquet back. After a hit days, the tension dropped dramatically. I strung it awhile ago but haven't used it recently. The tension hold is worse than every string i've ever tried, including 88ti. Weird maybe... but i actually find 88ti to be great at holding tension.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depending on how much I play (max: 5 days a week), BG 70 PRO lasted me about three months. Didn't really feel significant loss in tension even when I broke the string recently. Perhaps I don't smash as much or as hard as you do. In terms of control, I think you have to get used to the string as I could execute very consistent drops with it after awhile. I had just strung my CAB 20MS with BG 80 (22X24lbs) and it didn't feel any different from BG 70 PRO, except maybe the shot repulsiveness was slightly better.

Isn't BG 88Ti not generally available in NA market? It's harder enough to find even BG 68TI in my part of the neighbourhood. How durable is BG 88Ti?