Steaming shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by david14700, Nov 20, 2003.

1. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Does this really work to increase the durability of your shuttles? I've seen articles on how to do it, but I'd like to hear from guys who do it regularly.

I've got some old tubes of Yonex AS-50s. I've had them a couple of years, so I think I may steam them before I play with them, so they won't fall apart after a couple of hits.

Thanks

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I think this works great, especially for "old" (stored for long time) shuttles.

Last time, found a tube (unopened) of Alpha Champion. Since it's been "hid" in the bottom of a box for 1.5 yrs, the feather becomes really dried up. Tried the 1st 2 without getting steamed, and the durability really sucked big time. Then, put the tube on rack of shower room, let the feathers taking "hot bath" with steam (leave both ends open, then close it, when I am leaving) as well. Therefore, the after 2-3 days, I can see the shuttles could last much longer than used to be (maybe 1.5 times).

3. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Same here. I was using some old feather shuttles one time, and every time I hit it, there was literally a puff of feather coming out of the shuttle upon impact. It looked really cool :D ;) , but the shuttlecock certainly didn't last more than a few rallies.

But after I steamed the shuttles (by leaving them out in the bathroom while I take a hot shower / bath) a couple of times, their durability improved dramatically.

Mind you, you can go overboard with the steaming. One time my friend actually put a few shuttles into the steamer (yes, the kind you use for cooking), and ended up with soggy shuttlecocks. :rolleyes:

-Rick

4. oneshot_onekill

oneshot_onekill Regular Member

Steaming shuttles? Freezing?

Someone once told me that steaming shuttles will make them more durable and have better flight or something... but then after i tried it.. they actually last much shorter and shuttle become so much worst, you get like no wound at all.

My friend says its the heat from the steam what makes the feathers on the shuttle seperate (hot = expand) and the feathers arent suppost to be seperated to mkae a good shuttle. And he said that what he does back in france, is put the shuttles in the freige... freeze them...

What are your views on this? any other ideas on making shuttles more durable and better?

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If u use hot steam (from a boiling pot, and steam for a long time) then, it might actually damage the shuttle. The way I do it, is, to bring the tubes of shuttles into shower room. The steam with the shower room will slowly and smoothly steam the shuttle, w/o overkill it. Also, consider perform the process like 2-3 days prior to the usage, (everyday for 10-15 min), but not like the last minute task. ;)

6. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    I can recall reading a thread about this somewhere. Try using the search tool. ;)

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u dun steam shuttles like the way u steam BBQ buns ;)

#8 cooler, Sep 21, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2005
  8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    the steaming is only one part of the process. since the steam action is quite brief, the next important action is proper storage - placing the shuttles back in the tube and if possible into a plastic bag. this allows the moisture from the steam to be retained and the shuttle feathers to absorb it over time.

freezing does the opposite, in that freezing will actually dry the shuttle feathers. if there is any residual moisture in the shuttle and cork, the freezing will expand the water and weakens the cork, and glues.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if you live in HK, there is very little need to steam shuttle to keep them humid. the climate in HK is very very moist compare to many other parts of the world.

10. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    Totally concur with that statement; it should make the shuttles a lot more brittle than it already is, I would imagine.
    Keeping it from drying up is the key for longer lasting shuttles.....

11. oneshot_onekill

oneshot_onekill Regular Member

oh thanks.. maybe i should just take them out of the tubes and leave them around?.. cuz its humid here right?.. so they will absorb the moisture from the air over time

12. shaunw

shaunw Regular Member

Student
    Steaming a shuttle

Hey recently i've just got to know about something called steaming shuttlecocks and increases the durability.

Actually i dun really get the whole picture? How do u steam a shuttle?
    Can someone pls explain to me how it is done? I would really love to know because i'm just a student which plays badminton almost everyday. I cant really afford to keep on buying shuttles. i'll just finish a tube like 3-4 days.. it hurts my wallet ! hahah

13. enthusiast

enthusiast Regular Member

Retired
    I steam mine, too. My Canary shuttlecocks usually last 3 doubles games and up to 6 singles games without broken feathers (I guess we don't smash that hard).

Steaming is very easy: just start water boiling in a tea kettle and hold the open tube (with 1 shuttlecock inside) over the steam so that it passes up through the tube. I will stem the first one about 5 seconds before shoving it up and putting another one in to steam for another 5 seconds. I'll keep pushing them up until they've all been steamed, then I'll start once more for good measure, and cap the tube.

Be careful not to hold each shuttle too long over the steam or the feathers could get "cooked" or shriveled.

After steaming my shuttles the feathers don't seem so brittle and break so easily.

14. NoName1225

NoName1225 Regular Member

an easier way would be opening both ends, and putting it in somewhere in the bathroom when you shower.

the easiest way is to get nylon birdies.

15. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i get a bit of hot water and place it in the dented cover, the one that shuttles come out of. put the cover back on, and shake. because the walls are lined with tin, the water remains trapped, and is spread everywhere. by placing the tube so the shuttle points upwards into the air, all the water eventually runs to the bottom.

16. shaunw

shaunw Regular Member

Student
    so basically i got a tube which is both sides opened and i insert one shuttle in it. and at another end of the tube i put it to the steam source for about 5 seconds? and i remove the shuttle and insert another one ? is tht all ?

correct me if im wrong.

or is there a video for this method? help me !!

17. enthusiast

enthusiast Regular Member

Retired

You must be joking. No, there is no video. Just try steaming on your own and make your own adjustments. You have nothing to lose but 10 minutes.

The suggestion by another reader to add water to the tube is even simpler, and sounds worth a try. You don't need a video for that, either. :D

18. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
  19. shaunw

shaunw Regular Member

Student