Singapore open prices- you be the judge

Discussion in 'Thailand / Indonesia / Singapore Open 2013' started by hanser, May 7, 2013.

1. hanser

hanser Regular Member

mgr
    The prices of the 2013 SG open is out.

The prize money (US $200K) remains the same since 2010, but US dollar has depreciated against S$ since then. (organizer pays less in currency exchange)

*Comparision- 2010 / 2013
    Early bird Premium 2010'=$50, 2013'=$250 (+400%)
    Season premium 2010' =$82 , 2013'=$280 (+240%)
    Quarter final premium 2010'=$27, 2013'=$150 (+450%)
    Semi-final premium 2010'=$32, 2013'=$180 (+465%)
    Final premium 2010'=$42, 2013'=$200 (+376%)

*Comparison- last year/this year
    Early bird premium $100, now $250
    Season premium $128, now $280
    Quarter final premium $43, now $150
    Semi final premium $48, now $180
    Final premium $58, now $200
    *prices are acquired from internet archives, please do correct me if there is an error.

"But organising committee chairman Francis Koh said: "The ticket increase is not much and is at about 10 to 20 per cent. In general, it is still very affordable"
    :eek: did he say that???

The standard seats pricing increments are less dramatic but are still very high in the last 3 years.

Luckily, the prices increase for students and elderly seems to be more in line with our nation's growth and statistical numbers.

For me as a badminton fan, I love to watch the tournament live, but this trend is giving me some concerns and hope that SBA is aware.

2. narnia

narnia Regular Member

The ultra high increase seems reflect the crazy increase of housing prices in SINGAPORE!

Crazy Organizer... Be Reasonable!!!

:)

#2 narnia, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  3. sesepuh

sesepuh Regular Member

Special thread just to complaint about premium seat ticket? :confused:

4. BobbyLee1668

BobbyLee1668 Regular Member

Manager
    Prices look exorbitant when we compare it with previous years or even with the region. But we need the increases to generate enough revenue for the sport to thrive and to attract Singaporeans to take up this highly intense sport as a career.

The price increases are needed to create a concert-like atmosphere and also to bring in a mini-concert into the stadium for the finals. The whole experience for the fans and players will be a lot more exciting and welcoming.

So....please to support our efforts to bring you a unique sporting experience at the Indoor Stadium this June......:)

5. hanser

hanser Regular Member

mgr
    Commendations for engaging badminton fans here in bc.
    Generating revenue for the good of the sport is acknowledged.

But Increasing exorbitantly on premium seat prices may backfire instead.
    Yesteryears fans that bought these tickets have either gone for the lower priced tickets or decided to miss it altogether. So although revenue increased per ticket but attendance suffer in this category, you're back at square one isn't it?

Pom pom girls,dances and mini concert are a welcomed distraction but frankly, I think the fans are there for the badminton irregardless.

6. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

I still think the best way to bring up the atmosphere is to have a full house for everyday of the tournament.
    Some tournaments that were shown Live on tv, one very obvious moment on tv is when the camera showed the 'stadium' half-full or 'pretty empty'. It definately does not create atmosphere for both the players and fans in the stadium.
    One way to bring-in full house is to engage the schools to commit to bring their students. During the YOG in SG, the school did bring the students but only spent 30mins - 1 hr in the stadium, so ended up the stadium looked more empty and created a "quiet" atmosphere. Its the School holiday during this SG Open 2013. Try to work out a package with the 'badminton' schools in SG. SBA still have 1 month to try to engage the Schools, hope they can succeed.
    I agree with "hanser", the action is on the court and not so much as the side show of pom-pom girls. A full house should be one of SBA target. With a packed stadium, SBA can then do a lot more to 'sell' SG Open. :)

7. sen

sen Regular Member

around the year 1996 to 2005, I was in Singapore, I watched the Singapore Open and also one time an Asian men team competition(I can't remember the name), at that time, the first 1 or 2 days are free of charge but the Singapore Indoor Stadium is still not half full.

Cheerleading and other side shows should cost very little, otherwise no need to have such performances and bring down the ticket price even more.

It is of course different than F1 where the entertainers are world or Asian celebrities.

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I'll bet the Premier Seats would be practically empty - unless they are given to business partners to the tournament sponsors.

Eventually, everyone gets bumped up to pay season ticket prices to watch a couple of days worth of matches.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think you are referring to Asia Cup for that men's team tournament.

Here in HK, it's very variable. I remember when the economy was down, week day attendances were very poor. Prices were pretty low. Then two years ago, the HK Open moved to a new venue and prices went up a lot. I thought attendances would still be poor but the grassroots badminton interest is so strong here, even the increase in capacity of 30% gets a 95% full stadium on SF and finals day.

I agree. What else might a fan want for entertainment?

1) Charity event - auction for a racquet/other equipment signed by a top player
    2) No.1 combined with a couple of highest bid winners able to take pictures/fun match on court with the players
    3) Autograph event
    4) Players to sit with the school children groups i.e. PR exercise.
    5) A booth where there's a player who teaches technique one on one - it only needs to be 20 minutes of a player's time (and many different players can take it) and the recipient of the coaching is one on one. It gets 4-5 mins. (If it was Reiko there, I think the crowd around the booth would be massive!)
    6) Having a great MC would work a lot.
    7) I think a miniconcert is OK but the artist(s) need to have a great stage presence: a) for the entertainment, b) to drum up anticipation for the next year.

#9 Cheung, May 18, 2013
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Oh, there's another thing we need as fans.

We need players to show their charisma on court when in front of TV cameras in interviews - I don't think it's a natural skill for most people therefore some coaching of these skills to players is needed.

Definitely something for BWF to look into.

11. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

Good suggestions by Cheung to bring in the crowd.

"Grassroot badminton group" is another way SBA can work on. In SG, there are many Sports Hall (SH) and Community Centers (CC) with badminton court. Currently, to buy tickets for SO 2013, we buy via SISTIC outlets. SBA can have 'ready printed tickets' (eg 100 tickets each) and distribute to SH & CC to sell. Give the SH & CC an incentive (10% of ticket price??) and cutoff date (3rd June 2013??).

And, maybe Schools can help sell some tickets too. . .

I think Singapore Indoor Stadium has seating capacity of 20,000. If the above 'distribution channels' is done passionately, I believe 5,000 - 8,000 (season) tickets can be 'sold off' easily.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Even better would be to distribute free tickets to schools as a community service program. The school only has to write in and apply for tickets. These tickets would be given out for sessions that are known to be lighter I.e. weekday.

But really, if you really want to pack in the 'Singaporean' crowd, a couple of Singaporeans playing to win the final match would do the trick ;)

13. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  14. narnia

narnia Regular Member

I bought the premium ticket at 100 SGD last year. It's now 250 SGD. I just bought 40 SGD season ticket. If my case prevails across other fans, I'm not sure the new pricing strategy will work out.

Maybe, if the organizer were just reasonable as increasing the price to 150 SGD, they might have gained +50 SGD from me. But in fact, they just lost the opportunity to earn additional 60 or 110 SGD from me this year.

15. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Thanks for the sharing Sealman.. wasn't aware there is discount for NTUC union member....
    Have already bought the $40 season tix.. missed this... :(

16. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
  17. hanser

hanser Regular Member

mgr

I can't help but laugh as this is coming from the same organizer that said prices only increased 10-20%.
    But seriously, as much as I want the organizer to fall flat on his face for exorbitant pricing at the expense of die-hard badminton fans,
    I also hope that SBA gets good funding for the development of badminton here.
    So getting corporate sponsorship is a good thing and its very encouraging to see the corporate boxes sold out!

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i think the crowd who attend will be almost same like SC 2013?hehe

19. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

Not if they darken and switch off most of the spectators seating area lights, like in SC 2013. People watching on tv cannot tell if it is a full or empty stadium. :D

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

If they do that, they better put a spotlight on the badmintoncentral banner that Loh is going to put up.:D