Gade is in top 10

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Morten, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Morten

Morten Regular Member

I just looked at the rankings on the worldbadminton net site and saw Gade is now in top 10 again. Do you think he will stay there or will he slowly fade away. Personally I think Gade will regain his former strengh and will be a hot topic for regaining the olympic gold medal in Athen. Just look at last tournament in China where he beated 2 of the most consistens players this year. Go Gade!

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    No, I don't think he'll ever reach his former level. He was away from top-level competition for simply too long.

But I'm sure he'll park in the top 10 -- and rightfully so.

If he stays injury-free, that is...

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is great to see Gade rising near the top. at least now he doesn't need to go through qualifiers, poor guy. ;)

i think Gade still have the potential to be at the very top. he still have a few years to go before his body catches up to him. however, he immediate goal is the Olympics, to get back into his top competing form in 8 months' time will be tougher. and unfortunately, he might become another Sun Jun who failed to make his Olympics comeback after injuries.

there is a certain time gap between now and the next installment of major GP tourneys, Gade need to train hard and we will have more idea in March/April what Gade's chances are...

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    It is indeed nice to see him back. But in my opinion, Gade's current problem has less to do with lack of training, rather than lack of high-level matches... He's going to get some in the Copenhagen Masters, sure, but apart from that it will be hard for him to get top-level competition on home ground.

There are just too few high-class tournaments before Athens.

5. Morten

Morten Regular Member

yeah your have some good opinons here. Is indonesia, Malysia and Singapore Open before the olympics or after??

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think Gade might not be able to reach No 1 with his current condition. he will be facing alot of contenders from China as well. It will be good if he stay in top 10.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    No doubt that Gade still has some gas in his tank, and very glad to see he could be a favorite again.

However, 1 good out does not mean everything (Hafiz in All England). If he could continue perform like this, I won't be surprised that he will become a headache for everyone else again as he did several yrs ago.

Btw, CH and Bao are the most consistent player? Hmmm... I doubt about it. At least, CH is not anywhere near his ultimate form, he is surely bothered by his elbow and weak mind, and Bao is known for the 2nd issue as well.

8. Morten

Morten Regular Member

but by looking at their results they are together with Won, Lin and Lee the 5 most consistent players after the WC....no matter injuries or a weak mind

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, i was expecting to see Gade heading into the China Open finals. it appeared however, that Gade wasn't able to adapt to the draft in the arena and Wong was able to.

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I think if there was a "protected" ranking system in operation Gade would have got back much sooner. Playing tough qualifying and some bad draws means it takes time for anyone to get back to the top.

In the eighties I think the big events often didn't start until the quarters for the top players, that is a top ten player would seldom lose until that point and often the big stars would dispatch their early opponents quickly. nowadays finals are won or lost in terms of the energy expended over the week, so a good seeding is essential.

K Jonasen seems to be strugling since his excellant WC so Gade could be facing the asian players alone, much as Camilla for years, as such it would need exceptional performances for him to be no.1, especially with "team orders" prevalent.

I think Gade deserves to win a big title, he is a massive star and great for the game, in the past I feel when he plays his own game well he has won against almost any player (except Sun Jun maybe), but when he can't play the game he wants or is off form, he hasn't always been as adaptable or tough to beat as former greats.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I don't think we should discount Gade. As has been stated, at his peak he is more than a match for any world-class player. It was a joy to see him in action. His movements and strokes were just incredible.

Now that he has recovered from his injuries and the distraction of Camilla, and was able to fight his arduous way back to the world's Top 10, his participation in future Grand Prix tournaments will keep him sharp and match-fit. Not that his own compatriots can't offer him the stiff opposition that he needs at his level. The Danish singles players are no push-overs and many are among the top-ranked in the world. But you need to match your skills against top players from other countries, especially those from Asia, in order to prepare yourself for any eventuality.

Remember Gade's countryman, Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen, who won the Atlanta Olympic gold in 1996 when he was past his 30's, I think. He beat Don Jiong of China with Rashid Sidek of Malaysia taking the Bronze and Heryanto Arbi of Indonesia in 4th place.

Peter Gade is younger and is also a talented player. It remains to be seen whether his mental toughness and form, his focus and ambition to be the Olympic champion will see him through. It is not unusual to see would-be champions dropping by the wayside before they arrive at their dream destination because they were waylaid by distractions and their negative consequences.

#11 Loh, Nov 20, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  12. Morten

Morten Regular Member

It has always been Peter's weak mind that has stopped him from winning the big tournaments. I know this might sound a bit one sided, but I think that it was Gade's mental problem that was the reason to why he didnt win the WC in 99,01 and the olympics in 2000.. I renemer seing all three matches from these events. In both semi finals in the olumpics and WC Gade was nervous in 1st set and then won 2nd set with 15-1 where he was superior in skill and speed. And then again in 3 set he was nervous :( ... But perhaps Peter has matured and understood that badminton isnt everything in life, thats what he had said himself. So perhaps he wont be nervous again if he reaches a semi final in WC or the olympics..