New vs. old Zymax: how do you tell which is which?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Gollum, May 8, 2013.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I've just tried Ashaway Zymax 62 (white), and it's astoundingly good. I gather from Dinkalot's massive thread that the Zymax range was updated and substantially improved a couple of years ago; but how do I know whether I'm using the new or the old versions?

I know the new stuff has been around for 2 years now, but it's still an obscure string compared to Yonex stuff, and therefore I suspect many stringers and even stores are still using up their old stock.

Can you tell by the packaging? Are the markings on the string any different? Is there a reference number or something?

(I got mine recently from MyBadmintonStore.)

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Another convert for the good stuff! And no less than the mighty Gollum!! :)

Can you not simply write to MBS and ask them what they sold you? :confused:

3. blableblibloblu

blableblibloblu Regular Member

student
    That thread is pretty funny because in the beginning, they kept saying how it was 'crispier' and better in every aspect, then a few months later, nowhere near as 'crisp' and needed to up the tension by at least 3 pounds to have the same performance as the old version, but was definitely more durable. To be honest, whether its the new ZM62 or not doesn't matter much because it's still a very good string and the extra durability certainly isn't something I hate.

Considering you got it recently from MBS, there's like a 99% chance its the new version.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Good to see another convert to this amazing string! :D

Don't worry too much about the different colours, generations, etc. Just use what you have/chosen and try out different tensions to see what works out best for you in terms of durability, repulsion, feel, touch, etc... especially the first item since you're using zm62. ;)

PS. The new gen is packaged with black cardboard with red accents, whereas the 1st gen is white cardboard with blue accent. I don't think the 1st gen is even available anymore. And then to add more confusion, Ashaway supposedly changed it's formula for version 2 of it's new gen to make it more durable, but some people feel that this detracts from it's playability. :)

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for ZM62, if it breaks in 2 sessions, then it is the old one.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Thank you good people; good answers all -- but I think we have a winner:

One more session and I'll know!

Dunno about "mighty", but the string is extraordinary. The only problem is I keep hitting stuff out the back. This is a good problem to have. :D

7. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    If memory serves: red and black are definitely mk2. As red is the fastest colour I assume you went for that ;) I've asked Mr Chan very nicely if he has considered getting in the black stuff.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Thanks, I think that clears it up. Looks like both MBS and stringersworld are stocking the new stuff, based on pictures.

I went for white, based on Dinkalot's recommendation. Not sure if it makes a difference, but he seems to think so, and he knows a lot more about strings than I do.

In any case the strings did seem very grippy. I could really feel it on certain shots, such as a push from the midcourt where I could slice under the shuttle to make it "dive". :)

#8 Gollum, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013