User Tag List

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, lets have something fun: Only for those who is following malaysian election news:

Lin dan, ranked 41 in the world and having no games played for 8 months is unable to play in the world championships. However, after a Malaysian Blackout, Lin Dan was given a wild card and join the tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yayachico View Post
    Maybe the press misinterpreted what LCW said but if that's what he actually said, I would be quite dissapointed as to me, he has a very humble n good image but now this? Honestly, he needs to learn some skills in speaking to the press like how LD handles it especially he has followers all over the world. He needs to know what to speak, when to speak and how to speak according to the situation. I believe LD will not say the same thing he is at LCW's position. Remember what LD said during TC before OG12? He wishes LCW for a quick recovery and he hoped that they can meet in the finals. Of course, its a different situation now but what is done is done, BWF decided to give LD the wild card which, to many people, its very unfair as LD did not try hard enough to earn himself a spot through merit. The least LCW could do is be generous about it or at least act to be generous in front of the world, he can go home n cry, scream in his pillow, punch his teddy n do all he wants to let go of his frustration. Then if they get a chance to meet in WC, beat him with his own ability, show the world that a wild card does not mean anything. Let the racquet do the talking like everyone here said!
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Right, I'd better not take all that's reported in the press at face value. For all we know, Lee CW could be misrepresented and quoted out of context.

As it is for Lin Dan, the same goes for Lee CW, I simply cannot imagine this year's WC without Lee CW. Really hope to see him at least in the semi-final - a final with Chen Long or Lin Dan (and for me, WZM as well) would be great. On the other hand,it might turn out to be Lin Dan vs Chen Long, as somebody puts it so well, the Living Legend vs The Future !

I truly hope to see Lee CW charge himself up and give it his best shot. He had better start to adopt a positive frame of mind and concentrate on his training or else, nobody can help him. Let's look forward to another exciting,thrilling and memorable world championship !

As some have rightly argued, let's put ourselves in BWF's shoes - what would you have done? Kudos to BWF for having done the right and best thing. On a similar note, their adoption of the hawk-eye challenge system is another step in the right direction, well done BWF.
    I agree that we need to verify if LCW really said that because I know these day all top players have PR managers to write them scripts for every situation so they do not offend anyone and make the sponsors happy (to support/pay them).

However, I understand the pressure on LCW's shoulders is lot more now since LD is in, especially when he lost so many big matches to him before and mentally it is very hard to remove it.

On the other hand, here is the moment that LCW can prove to the world he is a true champion by winning this title at Chinese player's back yard.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares? Chen Long will win the WC anyway! ;-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ton-Min-Bad View Post
    Who cares? Chen Long will win the WC anyway! ;-)
    Not after LD retired.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Means what?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I've gathered, I speculate that the personal rivalry between Lin Dan and Chen Long has begun. The last one month or so, Lin Dan has been playing training/sparring matches with all his teammates except Chen Long, with the tacit approval and understanding of the coaches to keep the suspense between them. Apparently, they don't want to know each other's game too well, for good reason.

Regarding those matches Lin Dan played, it was reported he won more than he lost, not that he won most of them - that should give us a rough indication of his current form. It was also said the teammates took their matches seriously and relished beating him.

As kwun said, three months may not be enough for Lin Dan to get back to near-peak form after having laid off regular/systematic training for six months or tournament competition for about eight months. But Lin Dan being Lin Dan, I believe once he sets his mind on it - to win the world championship - he might just be able to do it, I mean get into tip-top condition.

Looks like we're in for a grand treat this WC, largely thanks to Lin Dan, Lee CW and Chen Long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    I can already see the headlines in the Malaysian Star on the 12th of August:

"BAM blasts BWF after China dominance"

LCW is already mentally defeated. All this "BWF is against me" bravado is just making excuses in advance. It's not very professional IMO. World championships is about the best players competing and it's a shame if LCW really said what he said.

Yes it happened today...

If BAM and CW did say what qas reported, it just shows a typical case of how immature the stakeholders in badminton sport are... This is sad and not good for the sport.

Similar case in tennis, when Kim came out of retirement and given a wild card to US Open 2009 and go on to win the title, and no one yelled like BAM and CW today.

Badminton will never be as prosperous as tennis having stakeholders like these...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Kevin Cordon is also coming I dont think you should expect to see CL in the final

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laonong View Post
    How about CL vs LCW? or CL vs LD? LD vs LCW is kind of boring now .
    It's good too, but just let wait and see the interesting matches and drama waiting for us.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LD rules! View Post
    I can already see the headlines in the Malaysian Star on the 12th of August:

"BAM blasts BWF after China dominance"

LCW is already mentally defeated. All this "BWF is against me" bravado is just making excuses in advance. It's not very professional IMO. World championships is about the best players competing and it's a shame if LCW really said what he said.
    Such a statement like that is inconsistent in tone to LCW's previous statements in other situations. I, myself, wouldn't make a judgement as yet. The press like to stir things up so it is very possible words have been taken out of context.

I have seen misreporting of LCW's words that he said in a press conference. I was present there and the report had some differences in meaning to spoken LCW's words.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ton-Min-Bad View Post
    ^Means what?
    LD will beat CL in the big match.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob mm View Post
    If Kevin Cordon is also coming I dont think you should expect to see CL in the final
    Actually, you should pay attention this time round to another pan American badminton player. I rate Osleni Guerrero from Cuba very highly. He's very strong and he's very talented too. Not saying he's capable of beating Chen Long, but he is a good player of the same level as Cordon. He just doesn't have the finance for many competitions. Not sure if Cordon is coming, he injured himself quite badly in Peru about a month ago. Heard it was quite serious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Such a statement like that is inconsistent in tone to LCW's previous statements in other situations. I, myself, wouldn't make a judgement as yet. The press like to stir things up so it is very possible words have been taken out of context.

I have seen misreporting of LCW's words that he said in a press conference. I was present there and the report had some differences in meaning to spoken LCW's words.
    Well I hope so, sometimes there is a difference to what was said and what was reported. Especially when the interview was probably carried out in Malay (if carried out at all) and then translated to English.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonc108 View Post
    Yes it happened today...

If BAM and CW did say what qas reported, it just shows a typical case of how immature the stakeholders in badminton sport are... This is sad and not good for the sport.

Similar case in tennis, when Kim came out of retirement and given a wild card to US Open 2009 and go on to win the title, and no one yelled like BAM and CW today.

Badminton will never be as prosperous as tennis having stakeholders like these...
    What a comparison . Retired because of injury problems, two years off and squeezing out a newborn. Nobody expected her to have a chance of winning and it's not like there were 3 other Belgian world class players in the draw fighting for the greater good of the Kingdom of Belgium.

Lin Dan just had a nice period off to regenerate his aging body (and mind), whilst LCW has been flying all over the world because it is mandatory/expected ... (badminton has a ridiculously short off season )

I'm not saying the decision isn't logical, because it is for commercial purposes, but saying it isn't an advantage for LD/"China" is just ignorant. That said, LCW should turn the knob and re-focus ... and retire after the WC .

Tennis wildcards are usually given to players coming back from long injury layoffs (Ivanisevic, Clijsters, etc., etc., etc., or local promising talent by local organizers or in Kuznetsov's and Shelby Rodgers' case: they won the USTA wildcards race). All Ivanisevic skipped was the qualifying tournament (it's not like he was not even eligible to play that)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is the thing, BWF fined Lin dan for not participating enough tournaments in 2012.

and then now they give him a wild card for not participating enough tournament in 2012.

Well Done BWF!!!

BWF send off 4 pairs of WD in olympics for reason of fairness over viewership.
    BWF send Lin Dan into the World championship for reason of viewership over fairness.

Great Job BWF!!!

I can see that other sports are laughing at this diminishing sport.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if this has been posted before :

Courtesy of BAM :

Wild Carded!

Thursday, 09 May 2013

The Badminton World Federation’s decision to award a wild card to four-time world champion, Lin Dan of China for this years championships in Guangzhou from August 5-11 is setting a dangerous precedent. The 29-year-old took a long sabbatical after retaining the London Olympics last year and failed to qualify on merit for the tournament.
    However, the BWF’s Committee of Management (COM) for the World Championships has voted unanimously to award him the wild card where he will join teammates Chen Long (pic below), the World No. 2, Asian champion Du Pengyu and Wang Zheming in the men’s singles competition.
    Exercising its prerogative to nominate a wild-card entry in each category, the COM determined that Lin Dan’s stature and fan appeal would significantly enhance the championships.
    Despite his current ranking of 41, Lin Dan is still considered the best among the Chinese qualifiers.
    His inclusion as a wild card gives an unfair advantage to the Chinese players while affecting the chances of players from other countries.
    Malaysia’s own medal hope Dato Lee Chong Wei would also see his chances of claiming his first world title seriously affected.
    With Lin Dan unlikely to be seeded, there is a strong chance of him being drawn with Chong Wei or any other other seeded players early on. And that could even happen as early as the first round itself.
    It is surprising that the BWF failed to take this into consideration when they offered Lin Dan the wild card.
    Now that they have given Lin Dan a direct entry, the BWF should award Lin Dan with a preferential higher seeding. Preferential seedings is practised in tennis Grand Slams, allowing for a level playing field.
    If the BWF fails to do so, than they are responsible for the chaos they are going to unleash on the players who have worked hard for the past 12 months to qualify for the championships. That the wild card was given to a player who intentionally took a break from competition and not because he was injured is questionable.
    To be fair, neither Lin Dan nor China should be blamed for this as the onus was entirely on the BWF. Anyone in the same boat would have taken up such a silver plattered gift.
    It seems that the BWF is more interested in financial and cosmetic gains rather than the development of the sports. The wild cards could have easily been given to any of the reigning World Junior champions, if they have not qualified on merit.
    That would have been a move in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so next year no need to have WR and qualification periods. just make a poll!!

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast