Different stringing patterns

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by swunk, May 11, 2013.

1. swunk

swunk Regular Member

I have 2 rackets (vt80 and arc11) with same hole design, they were both strung in 2 knots, but by different stringers. And the stringing is a little different, I am a little concerned about vt80, this overlapping of strings and the long pass from hole to hole - is this normal? see the pic

[​IMG]

thanks for any advice!

2. Jacob mm

Jacob mm Regular Member

School
    Could you also give us a from the top?

3. swunk

swunk Regular Member

from the top they are identical, there is a little difference on the second lower half, but not so concerning.

4. cwjx94

cwjx94 Regular Member

Student
    Hey man, I just noticed this on my racquets too as i just got one restrung in the UK noticed that it was like the Arc11 and my 3 which were done in Malaysia were all like the VT80. I called an independent source who's a yonex stockist for scotland does the covers for a lot of the comps up here, and she said that the miss of a bottom cross doesn't matter. Neither does the differences in the long pass and the overlap all my racquets have overlaps in more than a couple places. Whilst the length of the long pass is quite surprising it does look like its just the cross tie off and shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you take a picture of range of holes from the strung side, so that we can compare the location of the knots for the tieoffs.

Chris

#4 cwjx94, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  5. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I do not think so.

Your VT80 looks to have one cross string extra (please count it yourself to confirm).

From what I can tell, your Arc11 has it's main strings tied off at a "higher up" position grommet compared to your VT80. I believe both racquets are not strung with the "Yonex recommended pattern".

6. swunk

swunk Regular Member

7. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Blitzzards,
    ARC11 has both knots on one side, while VT80 has them on different sides

8. Blitzzards

Sir,

What the others meant by "top view" is "looking at the flat surface of the string bed" ;)

9. Blitzzards

Yes, I understand what you mean.

If you string both racquets with the same pattern (2 knot pattern we have here) and with the same number of cross strings (I am telling you that the VT80 has one extra cross string [too much] at the bottom before tie off), the upper and lower knots will be on one side, as it is on your ARC11. With one extra cross string [too much], the VT80 will have both knots on each side.

If you follow the direction that the cross strings are moving at, you will notice what I mean.

10. swunk

swunk Regular Member

I'm not really good at following the strings ) Probably seems obvious for you, since you must have done a quite a number of stringing jobs )
    All I care about is if it's alright. I'm expecting and N90 to arrive soon, so I wanna make sure it'll be strung properly.

11. swunk

swunk Regular Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on VT80 the second knot is very small and hides inside A5 grommet if I name it corretly

12. Blitzzards

Personally, both string patterns would not pass my QA/QC, but I must admit that I am very picky about stringing and indeed, I do string my own racquets (following the Yonex recommended string pattern as per the website and racquet manual etc.)

Otherwise, if you want to QA/QC the stringing, it is better for you to personally witness the stringer doing your racquet and watch for handling style, machine type used, and a lot more.

kwun has some good videos on how "a good stringer should behave". You can use them as a reference.

13. swunk

swunk Regular Member

Oh you know when you start telling people how to do their job, they get all cranky and uncooperative )

Btw, you were absolutely right, VT80 has 22 crosses, while ARC11 has 21.

14. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

swunk, My guess is the long overlap that can be seen on the side is made when one main is tied off and one is fed to the bottom cross and work its way up.

I personally do not think the stringing jobs on both racquet are bad, they're just different. I can't detect bowing of the crosses and the overlap is relatively tidy.

Blitzzards, I'm interested to know what you think do not pass your QA. Please elaborate more if you don't mind. It'd be a good learning experience.

Sy

15. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Looks like VT80 is done sequentially on the mains outwards, not doing the yonex pattern jump from b9 to b12 then back to b10. Extra cross also not standard. The overlapping of the strings looks unprofessional though may of been done on purpose to hold the long stretch of string on the outside of the frame.

Arc11 pattern looks to be Yonex pattern except that its only 2 knots.

16. Blitzzards

Well first off, both string patterns are not of yonex recommended. Both racquets are strung with the same exact pattern other than the VT80 having that one extra cross string too many. Both stringers are not that skilled at feeding the cross string through the double pass grommet thus explaining the overlap.

There would be much more to comment when we get to see the stringing progress.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to be honest, i would not worry about any of them. take the racket to the gym and enjoy badminton instead. they will both be fine.

18. gnoils

gnoils Regular Member

Great advice kwun.

And thanks for the reply Blitzzards.

Sy

19. p2user

p2user Regular Member

Sorry for the newbie question, but does the different stringing pattern recommended by yonex makes that much difference to the racket performance if strung differently? Is it just to make stringing easier?

20. kingzzz

kingzzz Regular Member

Performance wise, probably not, stringing wise, will depend on individual stringer and equipment which is easier.

Following Yonex pattern though will give them one less reason to reject your racket for a replacement should it break.