Do I need to get shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by p2user, May 12, 2013.

1. p2user

p2user Regular Member

Been getting loads of info on this forum and next on my list is probably a pair of badminton shoes? I say my level is intermediate and I would like to know if getting a pair of badminton shoes should be my next purchase or just stick to my Nike bowman running shoes which I currently use to play. I only play once or twice a week if I get time. Will getting a pair of badminton shoes help my feet more from getting an injury or my pair of Nike will do the trick? I don't intend to buy a top of the range shoe as ive spent too much on rackets, but unless I'm old I feel all these new shoes are way too bright for my taste :)

2. phili

phili Regular Member

The current shoes really look.. let's say you need to get used to their looks :D

But still you should get some decent badminton shoes. Running shoes are definitely one of the worst choices for badminton because they offer no support to your ankle.

3. Darth vader

Darth vader Regular Member

Sith Lord
    I concur with Phili. A pair of badminton shoe is worth the investment. Design and looks of the badminton shoes will always be in the eyes of the beholder.

Personally, I will recommend Asics and Mizuno. There are some apacs badminton shoe that doesn't look too shabby... Check out the URL link below:

http://badmintononlineshop.weebly.com/promotions.html

my 2 cents: never, ever, ever don running shoes for badminton...there are too much lateral movements in quick spurts for badminton, and imho running shoes are not designed for that purpose. worse stilll, you will risk injuring your ankle by rolling it inwards or outwards, depending on whether you are an overpronator or oversupinator.

Speaking from personal experience.

4. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    Apart from all the injury issues, you'll also risk ripping your running shoes from all that intensive lateral movement and braking. My friend bought a new pair of running shoes (NB) and decided to use it for badminton, and the sole was torn and separated at the mid-sole area.

5. p2user

p2user Regular Member

Thanks for the advice, looks like I will be purchasing a pair soon :) The aspacs look nice and 'normal' compared to the more colorful shoes i've seen. Think I will have to research more to see what are the recommended shoes in my price range. Having a quick read, I see people are changing their shoes quite often. I know you guys play a lot but is it to just the abuse they get or its the companies making sure we buy another pair sooner than later?

I presume the key tech is to have good ankle support and gel cushioning?

6. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    One other advice: Don't save too much money when choosing/buying badminton shoes.
    They are responsible for your health and will save your feet for "unnecessary injuries".
    I can't understand players who plays with rackets for 200$ and then playing with the cheapes sport shoes they can get. Don't make that mistake.

7. p2user

p2user Regular Member

Anyone have reccomendations for a good pair for £50ish? hopefully with links as i'm based in the UK.

Or is £50 not enough and i need to spend more?

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member