Lost the feeling

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Framerate, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    Nothing feels right at the moment. My birds fly too long or too low. I serve into the net often. And my smashes feels like hitting a smal piece of paper - great power and big waste of energy but almost nothing happens!!
    I don´t know whats wrong!!

Anyone experiensed anything like this some time?

It´s frustrating!!!

2. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    any time I finish a heavy weight training workout, the same thing happens and will last for a day or two. i have no control of the shuttle, and although i feel physically strong my muscles aren't working in sync to make proper shots and strength. it goes away eventually, but usually takes a day or so.

i also found this happens to me if I have been working hard in the workshop as well, if i had been doing some heavy physical work.

3. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    I think all athletes feel this way at some point in their careers. It gets especially tough the harder you're working on correcting some aspect or improving another. This just means you're not satisfied with your game and could mean that you're pushing yourself to be better. Look at this as a positive thing. Because, if were never disgusted with some of our shots or footwork, we'd be pretty lousy players.

Perhaps, take a break. Play volleyball or go swimming. Remember what it is that makes badminton an important part of your life. Reflect on the things you do well. Watch some pro tournament videos and think about what you need to improve on. Then the next two or three days later, come back to the court refreshed.

Just my advice.

Ruth

4. woop.

woop. Regular Member

I felt like this a couple of weeks ago. My coach did a real back-to-basics session with me to try and help. Not to try and teach me over, but just to make me do the simple things again. By the end of the hour I walked away very happy, and in my next match was back on form. I consider my coach a genius, she always seems to know what to do.

5. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    Thanks for your support!

I´ve relaxed from badminton a couple of days and put a new grip on my racket and, above all, I´ve slept some more. I think I´ve been to tired lately.

I agree with the heavy musclework theori. My control is terrible after any kind of "hard work". (...or lack of sleep.)

6. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Hi, if you have been lifting weights, do not give up lifting weights just because your shots are going all over the place. I'm lifting weights every weekday now and the thing is, my shots just aren't what they used to be anymore. Drops become lobs that are right over the net, lifts sometimes go all the way out onto the court behind it, smashes go into the net and netshots go 10 feet in the air. (ok... maybe they're not THAT bad... but... u get the idea :D)

I find that unless you do drills and concentrate on the placement and learn to manage your power things like this wont go away, but once you stop weight lifting to prepare for a tourney or a important game all this extra power will help you be more confident and less worried (because by then you should be able to smash harder or give you the ability to play longer more intense games... depending on what you concentrate on when ur in the gym... either power or endurence)

Lik everyone says... Dont give up... keep playing :D

7. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

How's your form? I've been doing lifting of increasing intensity lately and have noticed less accuracy in shots in which I used poor form but no change in shots in which I used good form. So maybe heavy workouts are aggreviating technique problems?

8. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    You lift weights everyday? That's supposed to be more counterproductive than productive, unless you're working on different parts of your body everyday (i.e. Monday arms and abs, Tuesday legs, etc.) Maybe this is why you're experiencing difficulties in your game?

Just a suggestion.

9. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    BRL, my form is terrible! :p I need coaching or more training but I just cant pull out the time/money on top of school to do that. However, aside from form, there is still a major change in power in my shots. Beginning of August, I was only doing dumbbell presses using 25lbs/side, now I use 40lbs/side, which is almost double, so you could imagine that there is a big change in power that I can produce. On top of that, I play 3X2hr sessions/week max... so I do not get to put enough time into badminton.

Yes I alternate body parts that I workout. If I didn't I would be dead by now because I always try to overload my muscles slight more than I can manage (ie I know I can do 2X10 @25lbs... but I'll push for 3X10 @25lbs or 2X10@30 lbs etc etc) so I'm usually "dead" after my hour long workout. What I make sure to do is, not to workout the muscle group again until it's not sore anymore. This way, I wont hurt anything too badly :D

I know some ppl say this is a bad way of weight training... but personally it works :D