What could have caused this damage

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by mvdzwaan, May 12, 2013.

1. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

Any idea what could have caused this damage during stringing ?

[​IMG]

http://tinypic.com/r/5nsv2v/5

It's an ArcSaber 11 racket, and Yonex flying clamps where used, but as this is the first cross-string, the clamp was placed on the other side (while pulling the first 2 crosses), and the next clamp was not even near this spot (at the BG80 logo). Also note, it's on the underside of the racket while mounted on a stringway BL-90 (supports at main string 5-7).

Also there seems to be horizontal impact (dark line), while a clamp should have caused a vertical 'scar'.

Note : This is in relation to my previous post about damage and refunds.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    where did you get the racket from?

the shared grommet on a Yonex doesn't look like that. usually there is a better flare.

never seen such a chip before. but certainly looks like a blunt object scratched it instead of impact with other racket/objects.

3. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

Racket was bought by the owner from a sport store 2 weeks ago.

I replaced the shared grommets and may have cut this one a little bit too short, although I tend to cut them short intentionally. Most new yonex rackets have paint which goes inside the tube on the inside, so no sharp edges, and the longer the tube, the sooner is splits.

I also think its a scratch (because of the dark center line), but not a scratch which I would not have noticed during stringing. I'm not using string movers and just cut the string and put it through by hand on all shared holes with this racket.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    why would you need to replace the grommet when the racket is only 2 weeks old?

5. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

I often replace the shared grommets every time, just to be sure (and because of the low cost of doing this).

But any tips on 'when to replace' are welcome. Most tubes I see on rackets are cut into on the outside (enough to see the frame in the cut), so most of the times I rotate those ones.

Should I only replace them if they are split on the inside of the frame ?

6. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Probably for pulling string to force through the shared hole. Maybe the new grommet is too tight and that adds to the frustration.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    oh i see.

i guess it doesn't hurt. but it also falls into the category of, if it is still working, don't change it.

my rule is, when it wear through, or split, or simply looks like they are almost at the end of life, change it.

but i'd never change a 2 weeks old racket's grommet. :)

8. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

Note that because of the pattern the string was pulled through both 9 & 10 by hand, and pulled at tube 10 from the other end. Could this have caused enough stress for the paint to chip of between 9 & 10 ?!?

If this can happen, it's also possible the frame is cracked or just paint damage ?

9. Mike1337

Mike1337 Regular Member

Could the racket have been damaged when the grommet was removed?

10. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

I surely would have noticed, but the grommets came out very easy. Just used a grommet grinder and pushed them right out without 'grinding'