Badminton - Promotional Info

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by tipper1, May 12, 2013.

1. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    Just wondered if anyone/organisation has information or poster highlighting the fitness benefits of badminton, example muscles used, calories used per hour, etc.
    I think something like this would be very beneficial for the promotion of the sport.

In Ireland & UK at present there has been a huge upsurge in running and cycling, particularly with ladies, which has the opposite effect on their interest in badminton.
    I imagine the attraction to running/cycling over badminton is that the efforts made seem much more measurable and can be done whenever and wherever someone wants.
    I also dont think badminton organisations have really publicised the phsyical benefits of badminton as well as they could.
    Some people see it as an 'easy' sport rather than the very powerful and athletic sport it is.

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

To be fair, To expend a lot of energy or gain great fitness benefits from cycling or running is easy because you can be a complete beginner in either and still get a lot out of it fitness wise. The physical benefits of badminton for complete beginners is extremely poor, I would think that is the bottom line.

People see badminton as an "easy" sport because it is really easy for them:cool:. All they know is they go down to the court and panhandle grip, hit the shuttle back and fourth directly at each other for about 4 times then go get the shuttle off the floor and repeat.

3. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    Fair points but not all joggers, runners, cyclists are beginners but many look for other activities, would they think of badminton.

My wife only took up badminton last year, regular beginner level, but can vouch for the fact that she would expend far more energy than at her regular tennis game for example. So i can't agree that beginners just stand and wait for the shuttle,etc.

I was really making the point and looking for any material because the sport is not informing the 'average Joe' potential member, about the benefits of badminton.

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I agree with you Bwf and local/national bodies can always do more in this department. I have given it a little shot below which may or may not help:)

. Calorie burning -About 550 calories per hour burned. http://www.livestrong.com/article/297247-calories-burned-in-an-hour-of-badminton/

. Fun factor - badminton is the second most popular participatory sport in the world, just behind soccer. Many sources for this, don't know how accurate it is but needless to say it is highly popular for participating in. Here is on sourcehttp://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer04/badminton/news/story?id=1845228

. Increases reaction speed and coorination - Nasa astronauts and Russian Causmanauts play to help develop their reaction and coordination for space travel. "have been in cosmonautics since 1989 and been playing badminton since around the 1990s. It is a very good game for cosmonautics. It helps to develop coordination, reaction" http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=71800
    Also F1 drivers such as Kimi Raikonnen, Sebastien Vettel and Heikki Kovalainen like to play badminton in training for the same reason.

Intensity and fitness benifits, miles covered - Some badminton stats and a tennis comparison below. http://www.worldbadminton.com/badfacts.htm
    Tennis Time duration: 3 hours 18 minutes
    Badminton Time duration: 1 hour 16 minutes

Tennis Ball/Shuttle in play: 18 minutes
    Badminton Ball/Shuttle in play: 37 minutes

Tennis Match intensity: 9%
    Badminton Match intensity: 48%

Tennis Shots: 1004
    Badminton Shots: 1972

Tennis Shots per rally: 3.4
    Badminton Shots per rally: 13.5

Tennis Distance covered: 2 miles
    Badminton Distance covered: 4 miles

. Great Family activity -UP to four family member can all interact and play within the same game in the same space, cheap rental of rackets and plastic shuttle at most leisure centres or garden
    :eek:. (sorry no material for this just experience)

.Great social benefits - Great game for interaction on and off court, more than the isolation of cycling, running etc. For promotional material please consult your national body website(i.e
    http://www.badmintonireland.com/) or local social badminton adverts at your local leisure centres. There should be a few events that you will find through local sources if people look aimed at getting new participation among adults and especially kids.

.Developing Teamwork skills -learn to work well with people in a fast past pace high pressure environment. Becoming fluent in rotating/covering partner.

.Developing a mind for tactical astuteness- Badminton can help you practice identifying weaknesses and how to capitalise on these, can be useful in life too.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Muscles used in Badminton http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/22828-What-muscles-are-used-in-badminton

The source for that you will see is a link to this site itself. This brings me round to my Last point, Badminton central is an amazing site for the promotion/material of badminton and badminton information.
    So I suppose the organization you are looking that has "information or poster highlighting the fitness benefits of badminton" is Badminton central PLC:D

6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

this tennis vs. badminton comparison is totally misleading!
    the match they analyzed for this comparison was (afaik) boris becker vs kevin curren, wimbledon final 1985. the badminton match i don't know, maybe all england final.
    in these days, tennis in wimbledon was serve and volley, hardly any rallies.
    if you made the comparison with, say, todays match djokovic vs. nadal at the french open, the comparison would look totally different.

i know that the comparison is always quoted by badminton players, because it suits them so well. but it's just not a fair comparison...

7. phili

phili Regular Member

The badminton match is the 1985 WC Final between Morten Frost and Han Jian.

8. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    So Footwork is totally correct as that match turned out to be a test of endurance itself.
    I think a fair comparison now might be two take a match one attack & defensive minded player on hard court(tennis). Maybe Lin Dan vs Taufik & Federer vs Murray.
    Anyone care to try ?

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Who cares about how badminton stands up compared to tennis. It is still good promotion that in just over an hour of singles you could cover 4 miles etc.

10. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Despite being an advocate for the sport of badminton being in tennis's shadow, the play style of badminton hasn't gone through as big if a revolution than tennis for the statements said by footwork. Serve and volley was a predominant style up until the early 2000's, so points were much shorter. Today tennis rallies are more comparable to badminton in length than before, particularly on clay.

Essentially though, the physicality of both sports has definitely increased over the years. I would say they're fairly equal. Badminton has shorter time in between points and has only one mid interval break though with fewer overall points played. Tennis has longer time in between points and many more long breaks in between games at changeovers and sets, though overall they have more points played (at grand slam best of five set format).

Back to the topic though. Yes, i really wish badminton sometime in my lifetime will have a massive break through in the global media of sports and become at least as popular as tennis is.

11. tipper1

tipper1 Regular Member

sales
    Ok, so lets agree on some info ourselves.

In 1 hour of singles a player will
    - Run approx 4 miles
    - Burn approx 550 calories
    - Perform approx ?? lunges
    - Perform equivalent to ?? Jumping-Jacks
    - Used by NASA recruits to improve speed and coordination
    - Any more ?

12. DRead

DRead Regular Member

Level 2 Coach
    Another obvious promotional tidbit is that badminton is frequently referred to as the fastest racquet sport - mainstream media use this line a lot. I'm also fond of telling people that Tan Boon Heong of Malaysia holds the record for fastest smash at 421km/h!

From my experience badminton is slowly getting more exposure and a better rep - a lot of people I know who have previously discounted it as a 'proper sport' have started getting into it and telling me how much they enjoy it. The hard part for badders is making it an enjoyable spectator sport for those who don't play.