Badminton Clear, Cannot hit straight

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by adam2261, May 12, 2013.

1. adam2261

adam2261 Regular Member

Level of play: intermediate, 1 year

When I do forehand clear, I can hit to the back consistently, but when I hit, I dont hit straight, instead I hit to the side, but my shuttle travels straight to the back. When I practice swinging, it looks okay, but when I actually hit the shuttle, my swing goes sideways. I need some tips and advice on how to fix this, so when I do a clear, I swing straight, not sideways. Also, sometimes I slice the shuttle.

[video=youtube;NgR7fai-PtU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgR7fai-PtU&feature=player_embedded[/video]

2. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Can you clear from your forehand rear to opponents (right handed) forehand rear?

Anyway I think you can cure this by getting behind the shuttle earlier (it looks like you try and jump behind the shuttle mid swing) and also take the shuttle more in front of your body. If you take it in more in front of your body you will be forced to swing through straight, because if you don't you will miss the shuttle by the time your racket reaches it.

there is a you tube clip below I think he does a similar swing to yours in "wrong way":p. shows you a basic technique maybe help?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VlCLy96QCiA

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Badminton Vancouver! :)

For 1 yr, that's
    quite good pronation... perhaps too much is causing the problem?

4. malinosega

malinosega Regular Member

student
    Your contact point when u hit is too low i guess. Thus ur swing goes sideways, afraid of hitting ur head:p. Try to take it higher (about one racket distance above head) unless u r in defense and got no choice.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    If you slow down the video and examine your swing and follow-through, you will notice that your body does not rotate enough when you are executing your clear shot. At the moment of impact, your body is facing somewhat out to the right of the court as you face it, instead of being square to the intended trajectory of the shuttle. Therefore the shuttle just follows the square trajectory you have presented.

Try being more aware of the rotation of your body from the hips. A few stretches and loosening up of the pelvic region prior to warming up may help. I think this "problem" will correct itself if you make the basic attitude (translation/rotation) corrections for any overhead shot.

Also, can you describe what grip you use for your overhead shots?

My 2c. Hope it helps... :)

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Well done: you've already isolated a problem. :) Now look at your video and compare the real shot to the practice swing.

When you practise your swing, you are standing with your right foot ahead. That's why it works okay.

When you hit the shuttle, you need to allow your right foot to move forwards during the stroke. At the moment, your feet are glued to the floor until after you've hit the shuttle. ;) This inhibits your shoulder movement.

The easiest method is a step-through, where you step forwards with your right foot. You could try this first. But as soon as you feel ready, get your feet off the ground. This is called a kick-through or scissor jump. When your feet come off the ground, your hips are free to rotate, which means your shoulders are also free to turn.

At the moment, your feet are stuck on the ground, which means your hips can't turn, which means your upper body and shoulders can't turn, which causes the problem.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Hello! This shot looks natural an effortless, which is great :)

There are two things I would want to look at. To me, your contact looks a little too far to the side, rather than slightly in front. Difficult to tell from this angle, but thats my first thought looking at it. Take it slightly earlier, rally reaching up into the hit, and see what happens!

Secondly, the question of accuracy is determined by the direction of your racket and the direction of your body. If the strings travel towards the target, thats where the shuttle will go (regardless of being out of position or whatever). It is important to be aware of where you are on the court, where you want to hit the shuttle, and where your strings are pointing during the shot. A useful tip, that many find helps them to hit more accurately, is to make sure your stomach (i.e. hips and shoulders) are pointing towards your target just after you have hit the shot.

Let us know how you get on :) Good luck.