User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Adidas strings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    I got at least six hours out of it at 30x31 and it never broke. With plastic shuttles. And 10% prestretch.
    Sounds great tbh for a 0.66mm string. I usually string my ng 99 between 12 and 13 kilos (so 27,5 lbs) more or less on my Zforce and MJXXS but with my bg UM 66 I can forget it. And can't make it string over 12kilos (26.5 lbs). As said my stringer it feels at this tension like chewing gum.
    After a couple of weeks when im lucky , it snaps.

Give some feedback Mark to let me/us know how the string progresses and ofc when it snaps please. If It feels for example "dull" like the bg 66 UM after a short while..

Ive 'ordered it on MBS and still have nothing since more than 2 weeks :X, Living actually in Germany ...

greetz

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fRAGMa View Post
    Sounds great tbh for a 0.66mm string. I usually string my ng 99 between 12 and 13 kilos (so 27,5 lbs) more or less on my Zforce and MJXXS but with my bg UM 66 I can forget it. And can't make it string over 12kilos (26.5 lbs). As said my stringer it feels at this tension like chewing gum.
    After a couple of weeks when im lucky , it snaps.

Give some feedback Mark to let me/us know how the string progresses and ofc when it snaps please. If It feels for example "dull" like the bg 66 UM after a short while..

Ive 'ordered it on MBS and still have nothing since more than 2 weeks :X, Living actually in Germany ...

greetz
    Unfortunately, I've been cutting the strings after two sessions - I got all five to test, and there aren't many club nights left this season! However, if a string lasts me two sessions at 31, I consider it acceptable, and anything after that is a bonus.

Bear in mind: I never break strings. Ever.

(P.S. If you want a HARD string, try Li Ning NS30. Like playing with a frying pan.)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Adidas Power Hybrid mini-review. Panda Revelation, 30x31.

Stringing - a strange experience. As @kwun has already implied, the mains are very slippery - like old Nanogy - but the crosses are reasonably rough. Cue easy, but LOUD, weaving.

Power - 7/10. With full swings, it hit pretty hard - had no trouble reaching the baseline when I wanted to. However, shots off a short swing needed a bit more "push-through". Likes smashing and driving.

Control - 7/10. The roughness comes in handy, and it slices well from the rear-court and on "cut" drives. It also blocks smashes pretty accurately. It's a tiny bit bouncy close to the net, though.

Feel - 7.5, 6/10. Why two ratings? When hit hard, there is a pleasant - and surprising - crispness for such a thick string. However, the situation reverses as I approach the net, where it becomes a bit "dead". I could barely feel net spinners, for example.

Sound - 7/10. Thick string = lots of bass.

Tension-holding - readings as follows:

0 1284
    1 1274
    3 1263
    6 1257
    12 1249
    24 1241
    48 1234
    72 1230
    1st session 1210
    2nd session 1193

Held on very well until I started playing it, then took a bit of a dive. I suspect this has to do with the roughness - surfaces with high friction tend to stay in place and then "judder" when moved against each other, and the friction from the crosses may have held the tension until the shots started beating it out. Have to keep an eye on this if I ever do BG80 and 85 in future.

Conclusion... I'm not sure what the hybridization is bringing to the party, but overall I found it fairly good. I would have liked some more feel with softer shots, but a thick string (or strings, in this case) was always going to fall down here. The colour combination will probably sucker a fair few into buying it, I should add.
    interesting how powerhybrid had a higher pitch than PT66

And for the hybrid thing, I think they just used the logic that the mains give power (so made them slippery) and that the crosses come in play when you slice the shuttle (made them rough)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe Ok Mark

Concerning li Ning I ve ordered the Ap62+ (x3) via MBS besides the adipower pro (also x3) .

About the NS30 I must admit I red few stuffs about it here and there but I'm a Thin gauge lover where strings have to be repulsive with a quite good feel of all "impacts" + a ****IN power noise lol. The more it makes some noise the more I wanna make holes in my opponent s court :P. So far the bg 66 UM gave me satisfaction but for a short while only due to the high tension (for this string +12 kilos/26,5lbs) .

I heard the ns30 was a great string, as you advised it, but how to compare it as it seems pretty different from the strings I'm usually using ^^

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Mark A

How would you compare adipower pro with ZM62? Would you give the same review to zm62 as you did in 2011 on MBS?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adidas Power Performance mini-review. Panda Revelation, 30x31.

Power - 8/10. Nice surprise, right from the get-go. No trouble getting the shuttle from anywhere to anywhere (even the backhand clear had plenty of depth), and smashes and drives had some real sting. Deserves its "power" monniker.

Control - 7/10. Very good placement from closed-face shots, and not as wild at the net as the others.

Feel - 7/10. Lets you know when you've hit one, and has some nice delicacy at the net.

Sound - 7/10. Nice and crunchy, but lower pitched than some.

Tension-holding - readings as follows:

0 1265
    1 1256
    3 1244
    6 1235
    12 1224
    24 1210
    48 1200
    72 1199
    1st session 1175
    2nd session 1165

Hmm... not great. Took two big hits after sessions, with a total loss of nearly 8%.

Conclusion... I'd say this string is certainly power-oriented, and it does the job well - there's no shortage of it. Thankfully, the control and feel don't suffer for it, but the tension loss is a bit poor. This would make a good tournament string, actually.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are my thoughts on the Adidas Power Tour 66 (PT66):
    24lbs ECP on a Wilson Zonar BLX racket.

First and foremost, the PT66 really seems to lack power. It takes much more effort to clear baseline to baseline compared to a string like Ashaway ZM62/65. This also means that offensive shots like drives and smashes will also be missing that oomph or kill factor.

Control is not particularly good too. It is quite a slippery string, a bit like the Yonex NBG98 (which is by far the slipperiest string I have tried). The lack of friction on the string bed can be a problem for those who are used to rough strings. Such a slippery surface also means more string movement.

The PT66 also has a tendency to feel quite dull. It lacks the liveliness of other strings on the market. As Mark A concluded previously in this thread, the PT66 does indeed seem like a "nothing" string. There is no wow factor or obvious selling point.

I can't see myself stringing with the PT66 in the future. It does seem to hold tension relatively well but other than that, there are many better strings on the market.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I've come to a basic conclusion about hybrid strings. I've got the Power Hybrid on one of my rackets and really don't like it very much.

I think the reason is that say, in tennis, there's quite a lot of shots where you use top and back spin, so aside from serving, shots are quite dependent on the vertical strings to impart spin an the ball - and even keep the ball down by rolling your wrist over as you strike the ball in a basic forehand shot)

In badminton however, whist you have that to a degree, you also have spinning forehand net shots (like a 'thrust' in fencing) that use the horizontal strings to impart spin, and that's where the hybrid strings don't do anything.

For me personally, I like strings that seem to transition seamlessly between a power and a touch game, and already some great strings like the BG66U and VS850 do this very very well, so it's hard to see where a hybrid string would improve this transitioning, because in adds in a variable that by it's very nature doesn't really have have a seamless transition.

A solution looking for a problem, perhaps?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    I think I've come to a basic conclusion about hybrid strings. I've got the Power Hybrid on one of my rackets and really don't like it very much.

I think the reason is that say, in tennis, there's quite a lot of shots where you use top and back spin, so aside from serving, shots are quite dependent on the vertical strings to impart spin an the ball - and even keep the ball down by rolling your wrist over as you strike the ball in a basic forehand shot)

In badminton however, whist you have that to a degree, you also have spinning forehand net shots (like a 'thrust' in fencing) that use the horizontal strings to impart spin, and that's where the hybrid strings don't do anything.

For me personally, I like strings that seem to transition seamlessly between a power and a touch game, and already some great strings like the BG66U and VS850 do this very very well, so it's hard to see where a hybrid string would improve this transitioning, because in adds in a variable that by it's very nature doesn't really have have a seamless transition.

A solution looking for a problem, perhaps?
    I'm not really convinced by the marketing from those hybrid strings. I really wonder how much more innovation these companies can come up with that can meaningfully improve the game? Could it be that we are at the point where strings are so good that any other so called improvements will add little to our game?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    I'm not really convinced by the marketing from those hybrid strings. I really wonder how much more innovation these companies can come up with that can meaningfully improve the game? Could it be that we are at the point where strings are so good that any other so called improvements will add little to our game?
    I think there is always scope for improvement in badminton strings. We're talking about small improvements that may not necessarily win you games, but may improve how you enjoy the game.

For all I know, someone may come up with a new miracle material for strings that maintains a near constant tension until it is damaged. Or there may be a material that gives exceptional feel or power that hasn't been exploited yet.

As with all things, the biggest challenge for the manufacturers is probably the question of cost. How to supply such products at a decent price.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I think there is always scope for improvement in badminton strings. We're talking about small improvements that may not necessarily win you games, but may improve how you enjoy the game.

For all I know, someone may come up with a new miracle material for strings that maintains a near constant tension until it is damaged. Or there may be a material that gives exceptional feel or power that hasn't been exploited yet.

As with all things, the biggest challenge for the manufacturers is probably the question of cost. How to supply such products at a decent price.
    If a company ever design a string that maintains near constant tension, I can bet that they'll charge a premium and people will pay for it. Who wouldn't want their strings to maintain tension until it snaps?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inbuilt redundancy is a way of life when it comes to selling consumer products, so even if it was possible, it's not desirable to make the 'perfect' anything.

I think as with a lot of endeavours, in the modern age we're making very, very small incremental improvements, but sadly very few of these 'amazing new technologies' add to the human experience. More often than not, they prey on negative aspects of the human condition and exploit them.

Honestly, with my current rackets and my current string, there's really nothing to be gained that's even of vaguely statistical relevance to my game at the moment.

Still, messing around can be fun

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, I strung adipowerpro 2 days ago and the frequency drop over that period of time is the most I've ever seen. I'd like to assume my main reading was too high (since the frequency was really high for the tension) but I checked on two different programs...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3