User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Are the stringbed frequencies similar, or is the FB lower... because it's been more used and strung longer while ago.
    No idea, I don't have the time to use that test of yours to figure out the stringbed frequencies.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    You'll see pros straightening strings during games, and their rackets have usually come right off the machine.

As the strings bite into each other, you won't be straightening them as much.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverWalkAlone View Post
    Sgt_Strider has been playing quite a number of games. The strings should sink in by now.
    I think I have played 10 hours of badminton with the ZM65 over a period of 1.5 weeks. It should have settled down by now, but it's not. Funny thing is that I don't notice this issue with my Duoforce. Same string and same tension, but different colours (white and yellow).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Zymax strings don't notch so easily ime. Most likely his FB has lost some tension with playtime so it'll move more easily.
    Already? It's been less than 2 weeks and I have played about 10 hours with that FB. I'm thinking of going to a new stringer for my next job. Fortunately the racket is still performing alright. I don't think it's affecting my performance, but I don't want to take the chance again.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    No idea, I don't have the time to use that test of yours to figure out the stringbed frequencies.
    Just strum it with your nails like a guitar and listen to it. Which one sounds lower pitch? I'd guess your FB, if it's moving so much more.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    Put briefly, a manual machine stops when it reaches the desired tension, but an ECP machine keeps pulling.

Pull a piece of chewing gum apart and stop your hands suddenly - the strand of gum sags in the middle; the same thing happens with strings in a manual machine.
    By manual you mean crank only?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phili View Post
    By manual you mean crank only?
    Yes; drop-weights are closer to constant pull.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consistency would be key for me when looking for a stringer.
    Even if the string job comes out +/- 1lb, compared to a previous different stringer. If the stringer is able to produce the same string job as before, then atleast I would know what to ask for the next time to get it as close to my desired tension.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another requirement for a good stringer is he/she must actively playing badminton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BRUCE LI View Post
    Another requirement for a good stringer is he/she must actively playing badminton.
    Agree, all good stringers play badminton regularly. Usually at least intermediate level, some even are really so good that they'll whip our asses.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still trying to find a good stringer that I can stick with but for my "requirements", it would have to be stringer that is willing to work with me. I've been to a couple of stringers where its the "What string and how many pounds?" treatment and I've also experienced a couple of "What string are you using? Do you like it? What's your playing style?" type of treatment. If the stringer is genuinely passionate about their job then it will show in the quality.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eckonovember View Post
    I'm still trying to find a good stringer that I can stick with but for my "requirements", it would have to be stringer that is willing to work with me. I've been to a couple of stringers where its the "What string and how many pounds?" treatment and I've also experienced a couple of "What string are you using? Do you like it? What's your playing style?" type of treatment. If the stringer is genuinely passionate about their job then it will show in the quality.
    Heh what's wrong with asking what string and what tension ? Unless the customer asks me for an advice, I usually let them choose what they want. Most people will react negatively if you question their choices. I love to discuss about string choices with customers, but I make sure they want to discuss it before doing it.

You're in BC, it's raining stringers over there. You should find a pro shop near you! Or why don't you string yourself if you have such high requirements ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow... tough customer. Not easy to please all I guess. lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My stringer asked some of those questions and recommended me a few strings, even though in the end I chose another one, I still learned something new about why he recommended those strings.

Anyways what I look for in a good stringer is someone who keeps a fair amount of communication throughout the process. I know some stringers that finish the job in 30 minutes and they recommend browsing the store in the rest of the time. Other's, since piled with many rackets, queue your racket and take about 1 day to complete, which isn't that big of a deal, as these stringers keep you informed about your racket. They usually tell when they start/finish, ask what colour string do you want (most stringers asked this one, but some don't specify), etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUCE LI View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sautom88 View Post
    Agree, all good stringers play badminton regularly. Usually at least intermediate level, some even are really so good that they'll whip our asses.
    Count me in too..

I went to a lot of stringers during my initial stage in this sport. My current stringer introduced Proportional-Stringing to me when no other stringers did. And he didn't even mention that term before stringing. He wasn't good with naming any specific method/technic but he really understands the fundamental aspects of any stringing methods implemented on his customers' racket. To conclude my post, he was a former state player (i was informed by his customers)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry but when did I say that there was something wrong with asking what string and tension? I'm just describing my experiences with stringers. I'm not exactly sure either how you and extremenanopower conclude that I have such high requirements and a tough customer after stating that I'm looking for a stringer that is willing to work with me. I replied to this thread since it asked "What do you look for in a good stringer?"

I'm quite aware of the number of stringers over here which would add to the difficulty in finding a good stringer.

Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    Heh what's wrong with asking what string and what tension ? Unless the customer asks me for an advice, I usually let them choose what they want. Most people will react negatively if you question their choices. I love to discuss about string choices with customers, but I make sure they want to discuss it before doing it.

You're in BC, it's raining stringers over there. You should find a pro shop near you! Or why don't you string yourself if you have such high requirements ?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eckonovember View Post
    I'm not exactly sure either how you and extremenanopower conclude that I have such high requirements and a tough customer after stating that I'm looking for a stringer that is willing to work with me
    I'm still trying to find a good stringer that I can stick with but for my "requirements", it would have to be stringer that is willing to work with me.

This can be (and is) interpreted as "My requirements are pretty high so I can't find a good stringer".

As for the other questions, you're right you never said it was wrong. But the way you typed it made it look like it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can also interpret it as "I've found good stringers but I'd have to travel a considerable distance if I wanted them to string my racket on a regular basis". Before you establish your authority on interpretation, I suggest toning down your assumptions before punching on that keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by yan.v View Post
    This can be (and is) interpreted as "My requirements are pretty high so I can't find a good stringer".

As for the other questions, you're right you never said it was wrong. But the way you typed it made it look like it.[/COLOR]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast